Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put some new suspension on the front end and new wheels and tires and will need to lower the front and back. If I put in coil overs on the front that will take care of the front but how do I lower the rear end? It has a stock mono spring and all stock setup. I just dont know how to do it.....:WTF :laughing:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The rear is the easiest part to lower.
Just install longer bolts on the end of the spring. 8" or 10" depending how far you need to lower. You can buy the bolts from all the aftermarket performance suspension companies or probably find a set of grade 8 bolts at your local hardware or farm store for less. :thumbsup: Read up on how to relieve the force of the spring though, before you get hurt. :thumbsup:

I'd be leary of holding the entire front up with stock arms and only coilover shocks. Are the stock shock mounts strong enough?

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man I need to look into this more. I plan on replacing the upper control arms before I put in the coil overs and the lower ball joints. Plan on putting in the rack and pinion steering and or replacing all of the bushings with poly. Did i miss anything?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
hey George, you might look into the front monoleaf setup from VB&P as well. That might be a cheaper route to go for adjusting front ride height, but I'm not sure. There are some semi-coilover kits that still use the spring pocket in the frame to hold the weight of the car rather than putting all the weight on the shock mount.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason I was looking at the Shark Bite kit for the coil over. (QA1) Do you think the mono leaf will give the best preformance as the coil overs will?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
if the price is the same, I'd go with the coil-overs if for no other reason than having a wider spring rate selection :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up the Grade 8 10" long 1/2 bolts and nyloc nuts from a local supplier for the rear of my car.
I then installed the poly bushings and washer's where needed.
Now, I just climb under the car and turn the nuts counter clockwise with a ratchet to lower the car where I want it.
SUPER easy.

I like pictures, LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW cool now I see what Blksilver was talking about thank you! The picture makes the difference!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts