Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems someone lowered a C3 a while back in this forum and I was wandering if it can be done? I also do not know of anyone who has ever "bagged" a C3. Has anyone here seen one dropped?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Corvette7579 said:
It seems someone lowered a C3 a while back in this forum and I was wandering if it can be done? I also do not know of anyone who has ever "bagged" a C3. Has anyone here seen one dropped?
Easiest and by far the cheapest way to lower a C3 is to cut 1/2-1 coil off the front springs and get longer rear spring bolts (10"). You can also buy springs from Van Steel, VB&P etc that'll lower your car.

I lowered mine with the VB&P perf. + kit, which allows me to adjust the ride height about 4" in total!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yellow73sb, how did you lower it? And how much did you lower it? I ran over
some lids to some gas pumps they had just put in and put a nice dent in the headers under there. The oil pan was unscaved. Was kinda ticked off. I am just wandering if that is the way to go. Baggin one to me would be the easiest way if there was a way to do the rear. ?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Groovejay, I cannot say what that 79 of yours does to me when I see it. That is a work of art. The less is more is the best description I can find for that Corvette. Lots of TLC too.
Question number one: If I go the cheap route, will it make the car ride softer? (because I did not change the front coils when I did the new shocks) and with the Goodyear eagles she rides like hell. But the roads in Southwest La are not the kind you wanna send home to Moma anyway. Kinda Double Hell. :whip: My WIP turned into the downside of WIP (was in progress). I know be patient.

The Other Question: If I go the high end monoleaf front suspension or the setup you have, how much will that set me back? I realize your setup is for street/strip and even road courses if need be. And/or is the other Corvettes you own set up the same way or the need is different?

I am just trying to fix the 79 I have for now and make it dependable . I wanna go tubular like you said underbody. Then I might stay stock. I wanna stay the 195 HP for economy but sometimes think I am needing to rethink. I drove it out the box after cleaning up that mess the guy sold me. And she was a mess. Not as bad as the 75 (of which I cleaned up also) She has to wait a while. If either belongs on the drag strip it is her the 75 Hornery and Maroon.

Ok, lets just say I had the money to do it the right way. What we looking at here dollar wise? Stock, 350/195 hp. The guy I bought her from said he did the upper half of the motor but in 85. Whoopie! How many years is that? Was not impressed with that statement from him. I drove it over 375 miles the first time I drove the thing and she wanted to go some more. Heck, if I woulda let her she woulda drove me to So Cal again where I had the first ones. You know those kinda days that everything is just perfect and you really love your Corvette.

That is the most eyecatching Corvette I have ever seen. It just spells BLING. Well thought out. Your Webby is good also.

·
Registered
377 Posts
anybody and everybody has always told me to never chop a spring... forgot what they look like on my c3 but still pretty sure the ends are diffrent then the rest of the spring.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i lowerd mine max with vette brakes and product max performance kit, mine is lowerd to maximum. If you go to my page you can see pictures.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i bought the monospring kit from vette brakes & products, it includes a monospring kit front and rear, so you can lower the car by adjusting a nut, up or down, very simple, takes 2 minutes to adjust the ride hight.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
TheBurk said:
anybody and everybody has always told me to never chop a spring... forgot what they look like on my c3 but still pretty sure the ends are diffrent then the rest of the spring.
You can cut a spring with a cut off wheel. Do not use a torque as it heats the spring too much.
I wonder about cutting off 1/2 a loop? It puts the cut offs at a bad spot. The spring spirals into a cup and there a 2 two holes in this cup. The spring is to be past one of the holes but not covering the second hole.
If you cut 1/2 a loop off no way to get the spring to sit in both the upper and lower cup
But yes you can safely cut a spring if you do not use heat. I have even had a friend hand hawksaw off a coil. Took a long time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Strider said:
You can cut a spring with a cut off wheel. Do not use a torque as it heats the spring too much.
I wonder about cutting off 1/2 a loop? It puts the cut offs at a bad spot. The spring spirals into a cup and there a 2 two holes in this cup. The spring is to be past one of the holes but not covering the second hole.
If you cut 1/2 a loop off no way to get the spring to sit in both the upper and lower cup
But yes you can safely cut a spring if you do not use heat. I have even had a friend hand hawksaw off a coil. Took a long time.

learning something new here at DC everyday ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Resurrecting and old thread.........I've got a 75 I want to lower. The Pham is to use a spring compressor with only the threaded hooks on the spring as close to the bottom as possible. Run the threaded Rod down through the hole in the frame for the shock mount with the bolt head exposed. Tighten down on the spring compressor to pull up the spring into the spring pocket. Break loose the bottom ball joint at the lower spindle. Once the ball joint is loose loosen the spring compressor and drop the spring out of the pocket. This sound like it will work?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I bought springs for a Big Block. Lowered to the front about an inch or more. The back i bought rear spring bolts for a C4 which are longer than the C3 and lowered the back about an inch and a half

1 - 14 of 14 Posts