Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just went to lower my 2001 Z06 and found that someone had already lowered it as much as possible on stock bolts yet the car still sits 26.5" front and 27.5" rear. Shouldn't it sit lower than that? I hear others saying their cars sit 25.5" front and 26.5" rear. I know the rear is easy, but what can I do about the front?

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok so let me get this straight :

- Completely remove the front bolts/bushings
- Buy 2 7" bolts of the same pattern for the rear?

How far do you back out the bolts in the rear?

How much will this lower the car and will it be even? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just want to lower it about 2" but I don't want it to be bouncy like others have said. Don't have money for new shocks right now, so I would have to stay w/ stock suspension.

Will removing the front bolt completely give me a 2" drop in the front?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Sherpa

Getting ready to lower my front end. any suggestions ? Is it a tough job?
I used the West Coast Corvettes loweing bolts for the rear and the front the C6 front bolts fit the C5 front and it gets you about another 3/4" drop. I didnt measure but I know a beer bottle wont roll under the front spoiler.:cheers: :cheers:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1433-c5-front-lowering-bolt-kit.aspx

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-39-c5-rear-lowering-bolt-kit.aspx

·
Registered
208 Posts
WOW! I'm exhausted after reading that thread! :laughing:

Personally, I don't see how you avoid tearing up the bottom of your cars by such drastic mods.

I lowered mine on stock bolts. Approximately 3/4 of an inch. Even with such a slight mod, I still scrape backing out of my driveway on the curb.

Amazing
same problem here, i got rid of the bolts up front and added some rubber to cushion the spring, not sure about the rear but its about 2 fingers between fender and tire anyways i found some 1 1/2 in. x 6 ft aluminum pieces at the hardware store that im gonna be attaching to each side with 3M tape to minimize body damage, the have metal ones but theyre heavier

·
Registered
361 Posts
same problem here, i got rid of the bolts up front and added some rubber to cushion the spring, not sure about the rear but its about 2 fingers between fender and tire anyways i found some 1 1/2 in. x 6 ft aluminum pieces at the hardware store that im gonna be attaching to each side with 3M tape to minimize body damage, the have metal ones but theyre heavier
I bought the aluminum rocker savers with built in jacking pads.
Love the jacking pads and the rocker savers saved my rockers a couple of
weeks after I installed them during an incautious moment...
I'm sure they weight more than the aluminum strips you are talking about,
but they aren't all that heavy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
vern patrick not to bad a job if you have the tools and a day to do it or if you have a shop that you trust only a couple hours at the most. Here is a step by step with pics from another thread, good luck and you will be happy with the way it looks when you are done:partyon: :partyon::cheers: :cheers:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26211

·
Registered
152 Posts
Da Sherpa.

Thans pal your always a help. What are your thoughts on coil over's ? can you give some details on your sway bars?:nuts:
vern patrick not to bad a job if you have the tools and a day to do it or if you have a shop that you trust only a couple hours at the most. Here is a step by step with pics from another thread, good luck and you will be happy with the way it looks when you are done:partyon: :partyon::cheers: :cheers:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26211

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Help, what do I do now?

Intent on lowering my car, I started taking some measurements before I moved anything.

The left front was the lowest corner, it was about 3/4" lower than the right front.

The left front was already at it's lowest point as the stock bolt was already turned all the way up.

The right front bolt still had about 1/4" to be backed off, and I did that, but there is still about a 1/2" difference between the left and right front ride heights, even though both front bolts are adjusted evenly and are at the lowest ride height.

I adjusted the bolts about 2 weeks ago and I've driven the car at least 300 or 400 miles to let it settle in. I have not had alignment yet.

I lowered the rear on stock bolts as well. The rear ride heights were dead even before I lowered it. I lowered the rear evenly, and the ride heights now are still within about 1/8", so I think I'm good in the back.

What do I do about the difference in front heights? :huh:

I don't see anything else that would cause the difference in ride heights from side to side. (no broken or worn parts)

Will the alignment get the sides closer, since the previous alignment had apparently been performed with the stock bolts unevenly adjusted? :huh:
(There seems to be a disparity between the right and left sides on the A arm bolts / eccentric adjusters.)

Or do I need to adjust the ride height by adjusting the left side bolt up before I get alignment ? :huh:

Thanks!

·
Registered
589 Posts
WOW 1/2" is a lot has the car been wrecked? I can't think that the alignment will change 1/2":WTF

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
You're actually nowere near the lowest ride height,removing the bolts and rubber completely will slam the car.

About the ride height. Measure from the ground to the frame corners.Thats true. It's been brought up about 10 years ago,the fender molds are not exact.The arch on the right fender,can be off compaired to the left fender.So the "high" point of the arch can have as much as 1/2 inch difference. Also the spring pressures are not exact,so as you drop the car,one side might be higher,the bolts don't have to have the same amount threads showing to be "rite". Once again,measure from the ground to the frame. I've seen this on a few c5s and c4s i've lowered as well.Most people won't even notice..but i would..lol..You can try to have the car aligned,it could help alittle

·
Registered
183 Posts
You're actually nowere near the lowest ride height,removing the bolts and rubber completely will slam the car.

About the ride height. Measure from the ground to the frame corners.Thats true. It's been brought up about 10 years ago,the fender molds are not exact.The arch on the right fender,can be off compaired to the left fender.So the "high" point of the arch can have as much as 1/2 inch difference. Also the spring pressures are not exact,so as you drop the car,one side might be higher,the bolts don't have to have the same amount threads showing to be "rite". Once again,measure from the ground to the frame. I've seen this on a few c5s and c4s i've lowered as well.Most people won't even notice..but i would..lol..You can try to have the car aligned,it could help alittle
To my knowledge the car hasn't been wrecked.

I'm at the lowest ride height while retaining the stock, unaltered bolts/ bushings. I do have WCC front and rear lowering bolts that I have not installed yet.

I could install the WCC bolts and use them to fine tune the ride height as the front right is still too high, but I wasn't sure if that was the "right" course of action, so I'm looking for guidance.

I have taken measurements at the wheelwell and the frame rails and both show a 1/2" difference.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used the WCC kit and every thing worked well I would like to go a little lower but will wait for Coilovers good luck they look great lowered:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
To my knowledge the car hasn't been wrecked.

I'm at the lowest ride height while retaining the stock, unaltered bolts/ bushings. I do have WCC front and rear lowering bolts that I have not installed yet.

I could install the WCC bolts and use them to fine tune the ride height as the front right is still too high, but I wasn't sure if that was the "right" course of action, so I'm looking for guidance.

I have taken measurements at the wheelwell and the frame rails and both show a 1/2" difference.
Sounds like you're on the right track,i would just fine tune the bolts to level the car as you said,then align.

The pics of my car below are for reference,thats how low i went on the stock suspension with no bump steer kit and stock shocks.Dropping th car actually helped my 60 ft times at the track and eliminated wheel hop,well on street tires anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I used the WCC kit and every thing worked well I would like to go a little lower but will wait for Coilovers good luck they look great lowered:cheers: :cheers:
I used the links from your previous post to order mine. Thanks! :thumbsup:

How low did you go? Are you as low as you can go on the WCC bolts?

Did you add frame savers?

I like the lowered look very much but I have to be able to drive the car, it's a daily driver.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track,i would just fine tune the bolts to level the car as you said,then align.

The pics of my car below are for reference,thats how low i went on the stock suspension with no bump steer kit and stock shocks.Dropping th car actually helped my 60 ft times at the track and eliminated wheel hop,well on street tires anyway.

I should probably compensate for the driver's weight as well, so that means cranking up the left side or lowering the right more.

Your car looks great, but I'm not going that low. I only have a 1/2" drop now, I'd go maybe another 1/2".

You must've cut your airdam. At 2.5" drop you'd be scraping the ground all the time.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The front is almost all the way down on the WCC bolts maybe a turn more or so left its low but drivable if you are careful:cheers: :cheers: check my pics to get an idea of how low it is.

201 - 220 of 241 Posts