Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone lowered their C5 Z51's. The car handles great, and don't want to lose ANY part of that by lowering it. I've heard that changing the a-arm geometry can have adverse effects on the handling. Just want to lower it on stock bolts right now, but have the long bolt lowering kit ready if I like it. Comments?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you kidding?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Talk about blast from the past, what's up Mark? Haven't seen you in a while. :buhbye:

Can't help with the lowering as I can't lower mine do to my driveway but here's a bump for you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:buhbye: Ponch and AJ. I have quite the number of threads on how to lower the C5 bookmarked. As I stated, I don't want to lose ANY of the handling characteristics that the Z51 option offers. I don't want to slam it to the ground, I just want to get rid of the 4WD look. It's a street legal race car, Right? It should look like one. I've heard that changing the A-Arm geometry can can have an adverse effect. It's handles like glue now, and wouldn't want to give that up just to look cooler than it already does. Thanks for the reply to keep this thread on top you guys, and thanks for the link Ponch:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read the articl that you posted Ponch. I respect Mr. Halversons opinion. He is a regular at another forum that I like, and I've often taken his opinion to heart. I'll lower it on the stock bolts this weekend, and if it isn't enough, I have the C6 bolt kit ready for standby. The bolts are longer for the C6. Thanks again for the link. You guys are the best:cheers:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are you going to be racing it? track days? autocross? If not, i wouldn't worry about. Plenty of guys drive around lowered with no problems.

If yes, lower it, see what it does and if you don't like it, it's easy enough to put it back the way it was. I say go for it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always thought my 04 Z51 was plenty low but you can lower them on the stock bolts up to about 1" in the back and 3/4" in the front. There are some good threads here about it just use the search feature.

Here's another link I have had bookmarked for a few years:

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/hobbies/corvette/options/Lowering/C5_Lowering.htm
Well Ponch, I just finished the task and now enjoying a cold Corona. After the mechanical work I took her out for , IDK, 5 mile spin? Damn our hotrods run great in the cool weather. Anyhow, I measured the height difference. I only gained 3/8 drop in the rear, and 1/4 in the front. Will it settle more with a bit more driving? I hope so. With those results, it wasn't worth the labor. Someone please chime in with some positivity. TRUTHFUL positivity please:cheers: And thanx for everyone's help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
:buhbye: Ponch and AJ. I have quite the number of threads on how to lower the C5 bookmarked. As I stated, I don't want to lose ANY of the handling characteristics that the Z51 option offers. I don't want to slam it to the ground, I just want to get rid of the 4WD look. It's a street legal race car, Right? It should look like one. I've heard that changing the A-Arm geometry can can have an adverse effect. It's handles like glue now, and wouldn't want to give that up just to look cooler than it already does. Thanks for the reply to keep this thread on top you guys, and thanks for the link Ponch:thumbsup:
LG makes drop spindles, lowers the car about 1" without changing the A-arm geometry.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drop spindles? :thud:. Maybe after the CCW's and a lottery win:laughing:. 3/8 of an inch was the first measurement after the 5 mile cruz. Put 30 on her yesterday, and I haven't re-measured it yet. I do notice that it is a bit softer, and rides a bit nicer. Seems to look lower, Hell, IDK. Maybe After the time I spent doing it(which wasn't too bad) I'm just wishing for progress. Next step may be the C6 lowering bolts. I'm really not sure if I want to go start bustin' lower ball joints loose on her yet. I'll post some shots up in the next few days for ya Scott. Thanks for chiming in everyone. You folks here are the best.:cheers:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well gang, it's been almost a week. I re-measured her today, and she's at 28 in the back, and 27 in the front. It makes a 1/2 inch drop all the way around. I suppose I should be happy, Although I want it lower. I see C5's around town, and they are another inch lower or so. And, the peeps don't look like the type to crawl under their cars (after spending 45 min to get it off the ground:laughing:), and throw on a lowering kit. I'll get it aligned tomorrow, and prolly get some new rubber next week. I've made slicks out of the backs, and the CHP looks at me weird when I get sideways leaving the light. Hopefully it's just a wishful stare. Thanks again for the help. If anyone has installed the C6 bolt lowering kits, on a C5, can you chime in? :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts