Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an LS6 with Corvette accessories into my '70 convertible, and as I feared, my power steering pump pully interferes with the rear upper A-arm stud on the driver's side. I've already tried cutting the stud off as short as I can without removing shims and changing my alignment. Another 1/4" to 3/8" would probably get me there. BTW, I'm using the SpeedHound motor plates that move the engine back 1". Moving it forward the 1" would probably solve this issue, but it would create some much more expensive and difficult ones.

Any tips for how to get off cheap on straightening this out without buying a different accessory drive kit?

Can a smaller diameter pulley be used on the pump I have, and if so, does someone have a part number for what would work?

Thanks.

-Eli

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
There's a guy here on the forum that I believe makes and sells brackets to relocate the power steering pump and A/C compressor.

I don't recall his name off hand but he has a very large and informative thread on answering all the questions associated with LS engines in C3s.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Camaro brackets aren't all that expensive. Probably a lot cheaper to change the brackets and balancer then go with aftermarket brackets. You might be able to get a smaller pulley, but not sure.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Josh has a set of mounting brackets that allow multiple positioning, which may allow you to clear your PS pulley. Take a look at them, there might even be pics somewhere on the forums regarding his swaps.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I would go with some camaro brackets thats the cheepest way and it WILL fit because I use the same engine mounts on my car that you have with camaro brackets. I have no clearence issues what so ever.

plus if you polish them up or powedercoat them like I did it turns out really nice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I have to scrap my Corvette accessories, then I'd prefer to get new stuff. I found where Pace Performance sells p/n 19155166, which is the same as GMPP p/n 19155066, but without the a/c. This is the Cadillac CTV setup, and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone here can answer:

1) The p/s reservoir looks like it sets up pretty high on the driver's side. Any experience with this to know if it going to interfere with the hood?
2) If the CTV setup won't work, then does anyone have a parts list for the F-body acessories, and does GM still sell them?
2) Description says that LS1, 2 & 6 motors require balancer p/n 12635649 for an LS3, which runs about $130. They also claim you need to change to this same balancer p/n with the Corvette setup, which makes no sense, since it's the same as what I already have. Anyone know if this balancer swap is really necessary?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yes the swap is required. The corvette crank pulley is different from the pulley used on all the other accessories, the reason being is it locates the belt and accessories 1 inch closer to the engine for clearence.

If you go away from corvette accessories you will have to swap out the corvette crank pulley as well. It is not a balencer because ls engines are INTERNALY balenced.

I would say its a good time to upgrade to a underdrive pulley.

Also you do not need new accessories. all you need is the F-body brackets. The power steering pump im not so sure about but I think its the same as the f-body one but not 100 percent. I think the pulley on the Power steering pump wont work with f-body accessories either.

It may not sound like it but the best place to start is a junk yard, find a set of accessory brackets that fit and you can always paint or poweder coat them or chrome or polish them, and if you want new accessories then get thos after you find out what fits and what dosnt.

Also if the cts-v power steering resavoir is in the same place as the f-body then it will fit under the hood just fine.

If you refer to my build thread on my ls1 swap you can see my f-body accessory setup, it turned out very nice with the billet pulleys

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reference back your thread. The more I look at the detailed pictures of the brackets, alt & p/s pump, the more I think I can make that work. My p/s reservoir & mount bracket is different, but I think I can make it all work together.

On the under-drive pulley, no problems with running both the p/s and hydraboost?

Haven't really gotten around to thinking about the intake, yet, but I've got the MAF and duct that came off the donor Corvette. I'm thinking that I may be able to notch out the top of the radiator support and get the intake out in front without causing too much interference with the hood. I recall seeing a picture of something similar once, but don't remember where. May not be able to clamp the filter directly onto the MAF, but some hose or ducting down to somewhere out of the way of the nose of the hood should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
also the water pump pulley wont work either, im not sure if the water pumps are the same but I know the pulleys arnt.

I have also seen someone take a c4 corvete intake, turn it upside down and have it run under the radiator and he made a air box, it basicly acted like a cold air intake ram air type system it was pretty cool.

all he had to do was ad some spacers on his sway bar to give clearence for it. the guy that did it is artjett here on the forum and its pretty trick, it was done for a tpi setup but it would work just the same on a ls engine.

I dont know how soon your trying to get everything together, but if my car does not sell by march april timie frame I will be parting it out and will have alot of stuff for sale

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm getting close to solving this the easy (& cheap) way. Summit sells p/n SUM-340203, which is a 5" diameter, press fit p/s pulley with .664" I.D. According to the Kwik Tips sheet on pulley dimensions, that I.D. should work. The original 12568997 pulley from the 2004 Corvette has an O.D. of 6.70"; so I'd pick up .85" of clearance between the pulley and the upper A-arm stud. I think this might be the trick to making the Corvette brackets work in a C3.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
possibly so, cause the smaller pulley on the power steering pump wont affect its efficency. just might be the way to go on that one let us know how it works out. also josh at custom image corvettes is always looking for people who find other options of the ls swap, he has a whole thread here about it you should get with him and let him know

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It will be a while before I get back to Illinois to work on the car again, but if it works, I'll definitely let everyone know.

Just curious why you're looking at selling or parting out your car??? Seems like you put an awful lot of effort into it. Have a new project in mind or something?

BTW...I was at "The Great Place" from '94-'97 with 2AD (which became 4ID). I haven't picked up on what you do from these threads, but thanks for your service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts