Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LS2 teaser

I get about 5 minutes every six days to work on this, so this has been a very slow project. I hope to complete the motor in the days to come and get my trans ordered from monster transmission this week if I can find a few minutes to do so. I am hoping to drop it into the vette in a couple of weeks but I will have to drop a few other projects to make that happen, to many things going on in my world right now.

Here's a little teaser of the LS2, I will post some details here soon.

Riggs

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:cool:

Very nice. Love the detail.
How many HP?
IS that for your '74?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
That's awesome. :thumbsup: I haven't seen very many LS engines dressed in orange, and as usual the aluminum heads look fantastic on it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some details, I bought this LS2 last fall. It's from a 2008 SS Trail Blazer with only 6,800 miles on it. These motors come from the factory with about 400 HP which is great, but I can't leave well enough alone so I wanted 500+ HP. Let me start out by saying this swap is already beyond my original budget, But if I receive the performance and reliability that I am expecting from this LS swap, It will be worth it.

Here are some of the parts that I have to this date,

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-K306-550-470 - Trick Flow® 550 HP GenX® Top-End Engine Kits for GM LS2
http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-K306-550-470&autoview=sku

Heads, cam, rockers, push rods, head gaskets, head bolts, crank bolt,

Trick flow double roller timing chain

46# fast fuel injectors

Professional performance fuel rail kit

LS2 Corvette intake/ I might be swapping it out for the Fast LSX manifold,
Just don't know if there is enough HP gain for so much money.

Vette Aid Long tube headers

F body oil pan

I hope to get to finish the rest of the motor by the end of the weekend. I will be ordering a new 4L65E from monster trans this week I hope, and once I have a final dissection on it it well be time to send off my harness and Ecm to either Current performance or to spear tech. Once I have the harness back onto the motor I will be dropping it into the car.

I have so much going on for the next few months I believe there will be some
delays in getting this finished as fast as I would like to see it get done.

Look for more photo's here soon

Riggs.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Cool Riggs! I'm doing a LS6 engine in my 69. We are starting to order all the needed parts right now. We have the engine already, it was out of a Caddilac CTS.:thumbsup:

These are great cars for the engine upgrade! Good luck with yours!:cheers:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Riggs,We are in the same boat brother!I have been tryin to get to mine when I can but it always seems too short to accomplish much.I have been ordering parts and planning and so on.
So it waits,,, and waits..:laughing:

·
Registered
32 Posts
What transmission will you use?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tbmax57, I believe I'm going with a 4L65e from monster transmission,
but I still need more info from them.

Riggs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, I will watch with interest. I have thought about installining an LS-1 with a 4L60E but have heard that the transmission tunnel may need to be widened. Let us know what you come up with. Nice looking motor.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I won't be going with Monster trans, They have the worst communication, they
don't return my E mails and I have been reading alot about their trans failing. I
am looking to go with www.Finishlinetrans.com they seem to have a great reputation and
he seams to reply to my emails and phone calls.

Stay turned,

Riggs.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks, I will watch with interest. I have thought about installining an LS-1 with a 4L60E but have heard that the transmission tunnel may need to be widened. Let us know what you come up with. Nice looking motor.
Josh just installed a LS/4L60E combo and used the 1" futher back motor mounts that really stuffs the trans deep into the tunnel. Its tight but no problems. 4L60E should not have a problem. Its the bigger 4L80E that starts to get into lack of space issue for some.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kaos, were did you guys pick up your trans from? I know with all that LS power you've
stuffed under the hood, you guys went with some one who builds trans very well to with
stand the abuse that, that car will be put through, I know you didn't build this car just to
take it to car shows on a trailer.

Yes your right the 4L80e is a lot bigger, It could be made to fit, but I don't see the
time spent to make it fit being worth it.

Riggs

·
Registered
855 Posts
Riggs...great to see you LS swap getting underway.

Short story = 4L60E from Bowtie beefed up to the best they had

Long Story = had originaly gone with the 200R4 conversion from Bowtie exactly this time last year, friend worked on the car and screwed entire car up, car went to Josh for what was going to be a mild fix turning into an awesome huge project resulting in the LS swap and then needing a 4L60E vs. 200R4 to control the trans. Josh got me a hell of a deal on a trade-in back to Bowtie on the 200R4 that I bought in exchange for their best 4L60E. I am sure there are many qualified shops out there on the 4L60E and some better than Bowtie as I don't believe they are the best but thhat is just an opinion. Bowties customer service is great though for the most part. Find a C5/LS specialty shop near you and ask them who they have build their C5 A4 trans. The shop here in South Florida (Horsepower Sales) uses somebody that actually lightens the gears in the A4 trans reducing unsprung weight making them more efficient and they held the world record in some sort of class of the C5 in the 1/4 mile with countless passes on the same trans. Sorry can't be of more help.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Riggs, that thing looks awesome!! I didnt know you were planning an LS swap!?! Im definitely in for the results... cant wait to see how it comes out :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
That's awesome. :thumbsup: I haven't seen very many LS engines dressed in orange...
:agree: looks great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really haven't had time to make any progress this weekend other than doing some more detailing on the used parts to be reinstalled

Here are a few more photo's

Trick Flow head and cam kit for LS2. Old cam shown in photo, got ahead of myself before I remembered to take some photo's. The timing chain was bought separate.

Double roller timing chain. I order to use one of these you most clearance the timing cover. With the new timing chain assembly it spaces the oil pump out by like 3/16'' making the cover rest on the oil pump mounting bolts and part of the pump.

Fuel rails to feed the new fast 46# injectors

F body oil pan

Ceramic coated 1 3/4'' headers for LS C3 swap

More photo's to come soon.
Riggs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
:partyon::partyon:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Such a clean assembly man, that looks AWESOME!!!

:partyon:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts