Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does my 2005 corvette, with the 6.0liter engine and a six speed transmission stand against the new camaros, the new 5 liter mustang, and the srt dodge challenger? Im wondering since all of these cars have tons of hp and tq,,:rolling:

somethig else, what would be a good modification to stand tall against the cars I mentioned above, thanks for your time, :thumbsup:

PD. i used to be a mustang lover until I drove my firt corvette.:partyon:

· Registered
8,328 Posts
How does my 2005 corvette, with the 6.0liter engine and a six speed transmission stand against the new camaros, the new 5 liter mustang, and the srt dodge challenger? Im wondering since all of these cars have tons of hp and tq,,:rolling:

somethig else, what would be a good modification to stand tall against the cars I mentioned above, thanks for your time, :thumbsup:

Stock for stock they don't have a chance against a LS2.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
the challenger srt-8 has 425 hp i belive thats only 25 over your car, and there way hevier.

the 5.0 mustang has 412, the new camaro 436. your only a few hp shy and you have a way lighter car. you would own all those cars.

· Banned
7,797 Posts
cold air intake, long tube headers, dyno tune....I would start there

· Registered
381 Posts

Rather than doing bolts on, I would just supercharge the car.
I went the bolt on route. I started with headers, hi flo cats, CAI and a tune. $3000 for 50 rwhp. Then I did 4.10 gears ($2,000). Car went from 12.6 at 115 to 11.8 at 119/120. I had 390 rwhp. ($5,000 spent).

Then I supercharged the car - went to 715 rwhp (at 13 psi and meth injection). I can run with and beat motorcycle (even 1000 cc bikes). Trap speed in the 1/4 mile is above 135 and nearing 140.

If I was doing it again, I would have started with the supercharger and 6 psi. Make 500 - 550 rwhp and spend $6500 or so. If I got bored, then I would do the bolts ons, meth etc and be right where I am now. Do the bang for the buck mods first and supporting mods later.

· Registered
19 Posts
Hey Guys,

New to the forums but being that I traded it my 08 mustang GT for a C6 LS3 I have a pretty good comparison going in.

From the mustang side of things, a 5.0 will either be neck and neck or slightly quicker than an LS2. Specifically if they are running 3.73 gears or taller. Mustangs are putting down 370 to the wheels on a 3600lb car.
My comparison is my 08gt with long tubes, cold air, tune u/d pulleys, driveshaft, suspension etc... would be only slightly ahead of a 5.0 mustang but have taken a handful of LS2 vettes. If said 5.0 is modded with the basics, cold air, tune, exhaust etc., you are looking at 400-420RWHP which is LS3 territory.

With that being said, the challenger and camaro should not be a problem. The camaro may be close on a 3rd gear roll but not off the line.

· Registered
381 Posts
Hey Guys,

New to the forums but being that I traded it my 08 mustang GT for a C6 LS3 I have a pretty good comparison going in.

From the mustang side of things, a 5.0 will either be neck and neck or slightly quicker than an LS2. Specifically if they are running 3.73 gears or taller. Mustangs are putting down 370 to the wheels on a 3600lb car.
My comparison is my 08gt with long tubes, cold air, tune u/d pulleys, driveshaft, suspension etc... would be only slightly ahead of a 5.0 mustang but have taken a handful of LS2 vettes. If said 5.0 is modded with the basics, cold air, tune, exhaust etc., you are looking at 400-420RWHP which is LS3 territory.

With that being said, the challenger and camaro should not be a problem. The camaro may be close on a 3rd gear roll but not off the line.
Either the sun has affected your thought process or you are used to racing geriatric Corvette owners. No bolt on 08 GT will hang with an LS2 providing that both drivers are equal. Bone stock, my 07 6 spd was 12.5 - 12.6 at 115; bolt ons 12.0 at 119 - 120; bolt ons and gear 11.7 at 123. Now, race liter bikes and win. Take your old mustang and race an LS2 with a good driver - you have no chance.

Glad to see you stepped up. Now mod that bitch and go racing........

· Registered
19 Posts
He he.. Typical reaction I got.

The 08 GT ran 12.5's on motor all day. The key was the 4.30's my friend.
Add the nitrous and I had even more fun.

But in any case its a moot point because the 08 GT is gone, that is well and over and like you said I am off to bigger and better things.

Tonight the vararam and 160 tstat go in and it gets tuned on Monday. We'll see how the LS3 compares next week at the track. ;)

· Administrator
10,197 Posts
He he.. Typical reaction I got.

The 08 GT ran 12.5's on motor all day. The key was the 4.30's my friend.
Add the nitrous and I had even more fun.

But in any case its a moot point because the 08 GT is gone, that is well and over and like you said I am off to bigger and better things.

Tonight the vararam and 160 tstat go in and it gets tuned on Monday. We'll see how the LS3 compares next week at the track. ;)
Give the computer a week or so (depending on how many miles you put on it) to adapt to that Vararam, and you will be shocked how big a difference it makes - especially at night with that cold air ramming in there.

I also bought that "screw" plate that is supposed to swirl the air into the plenum better, but have never gotten around to installing it.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
I wouldnt install that screw plate, the point of installing the vararam is to reduce airflow obstructions if you add that piece that is suppose to SWIRL the air you are only creating a obstruction for the airflow.

that kinda stuff is snake oil and does not really work imo if it did you would see it on the race track

but maybe im confused of what kind of piece you are talking about

Give the computer a week or so (depending on how many miles you put on it) to adapt to that Vararam, and you will be shocked how big a difference it makes - especially at night with that cold air ramming in there.

I also bought that "screw" plate that is supposed to swirl the air into the plenum better, but have never gotten around to installing it.

· Registered
240 Posts
I use to be a Mustang owner also and ford just can't get it together. They figure big horsepower numbers are everything and not addressing the other issues, like weight and suspension improvements. LS2 all the way....:partyon::partyon:

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:rolleyes: I used to be a mustang owner myself, and i totally agree that ford does not put any atention into the chasis, suspension and thinks like that besides hp,

i had a 2001 gt which i modded A LOT, BUT I MEAN A LOT, from supercharger, to nitrous, built bottom end, gears bolt ons suspension, tires, body kit, exhaust, you know the drill, and that thing was fun to drive but its still a mustang, the cobra is still a mustang, which competes with a camaro, but piece by piece the corvette is in a whole other league, :partyon:

this is my second corvette, both of them convertibles, first a c5 auto, yellow with black top :D really nice

and this one silver c6 convertible six speed, i love that thing :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.