Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am trying to find out if the LS3 is direct/indirect injection or neither.

:cheers:

Cédric

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
spd98 what did you do that GTO???

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The LS3 (as well as the LS7 and the LS9) is not Direct Injection but there is a likelihood that it's coming to the Corvette line eventually, possibly in the form of a new generation 5.5L LSx motor. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Not to sure why direct injection is cool because my understanding is that indirect injection is better. :huh:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Going out on a limb here. I was at an engine builder's shop where the owner was fitting a EFI unit to a 572. The arrangement was a throttle body where the carb would normally be, but with the injectors at the end of each individual intake runner (port injection). I was asking about the power output compared to a carbed version. The builder basically said similar power or slightly more with fuel injection due to the ability to fine tune...but only for the first run or so. Then the power drops off a little compared to a carb, because there is no cooling of the intake manifold due to the evaporation of the fuel in the intake. An arrangement like a TBI, where the fuel is introduced above the plenum would give the most benefit will respect to a hot engine and fuel-cooling. Taking that thought further, the direct-injection system wouldn't have any cooling effect, or reduced cooling effect, on the incoming charge and intake. Sound logical?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts