Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to stick a KB on a completly stock Z06? The KB setup is 7psi stock at 6500 rpm, is that the redline on this car or is it 7k? For 6,600 you can buy the "intercooled" version and Im curious how the rods and pistons will take it.

Just curious... I have to buy a vette first :laughing: Wont know until next month if I can own one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
tuning is everything, ive seen cast pistons in a 4cyl take over 28psi all due to proper tuning... if you get any hint of detonation at even half of that pressure though your gonna have a nice assortment of metal scrap :nuts:

oh and BTW, i believe the stock limiter is 6500rpm... also, cooler air is always going to be better because your going to have less of a chance of that swiss cheese block making detonation ;)

IMO, if you know what your doing or have half the mind to learn (no offense, just a general remark) your better off going with a turbo setup

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
I do believe that a stock bottom end will hold with the added boost. Like El_Diablo said, tuning is everything.
I'm currently running the Maggie with 5psi on mine (it's only been on there for a few days now :devil: ) but I have heard of several people on here that have run a SC on a stock bottom end for a couple of years :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
I have seen several SC's added to stock engines with no problems. What I have heard about is stock automatic transmissions not holding up once the charger was added. Not an issue on a ZO6 though. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read that 7 psi is pushing the limit but, if I had one installed, I would look for a reputable tuner like LG motorsports.

I have half a mind to learn but, I see the "plateau" of torque that the supercharger offers and I think its going to be hard to beat from a roll... It will put the car at 525rwhp and 505rwtq and that is PLENTY for me. If I get my hands on a Z06, I think it will be the fastest car that I have ever riden in, let alone driven, so its going to be a while before I need anything done to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
again, tuning is everything... i perfer turbos for the tunability and initial traction

heres a dyno run off the site of one of my favorite vette kits-

no offense but if your setup even truely makes 400ft.lbs at 2000rpm do you really expect it to hook up?

yet another benifit is the stealth aspect of turbo installs, if you want a "vette sleeper" (like thats even possible..) its the obvious choice, also will keep visability to a maximum.... dont get me wrong, i would love to have either but i guess im just a turbo guy at heart

·
Registered
883 Posts
IMO the KB has too much of that brutal torque hit, it will wreak havoc on a stock driveline, rear end, etc. The progressive powerband is a huge benefit of turbos because the car will at least have some chance of hooking up. On the other hand I will probably be going the centrifugal route because I can't justify $10k for a turbo kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im curious how that intercooler affects cooling since its mounted infront of the radiator or does it affect it at all?

·
Registered
121 Posts
best way would be to contact them for more info but with the amount of engineering ive seen put into other kits of theirs i would highly doubt that they would let that happen, my guess is that you might run 10-25 degrees warmer at the very limit but i would say closer to the 10 degree mark which can be overcome with computer tuning to turn the fans on earlier and off later aswell as keeping the fans running up to a couple minutes after shut down to help cool things off (ever noticed that when you turn your car off when hot and jump back in it 10 minutes later the temp gauge is reading higher?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts