Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all you happy Zo6 drivers out there! As there are some reports of early engine failures around in Corvette Forums in Germany, I am very interested in how often this may have happened. (Or if its just a rumor with bad intentions in the Internet). I´m very fond of the marvellous new Z06 and intending to by one myself later but am wondering about this a lot. Please let me know any incidents concerning the engine. But even more important, please drop a note if your Z06 engine works totally fine, along with mileage driven. That would be a fantastic help in building confidence, Thanks in advance from faulpelz!

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have only heard of one LS7 engine failure. Mine has had 27,000 miles of punishment with out a problem...as you will see in up coming episodes of Vette Dogs I don't cut it any slack.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello faulpelz,

I live in Austria and own a 2007 Z06. Now the vette has only 2000 km on it but works very fine.
I also own a 2006 Lamborghin Gallardo Spyder but the Z06 is more fun to drive!!! :partyon:

Schöne Grüsse aus Österreich
Horst :buhbye:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Horst!

Nice to know. What´s your opinion comparing the sound of your two fine cars ? Which one sounds better to your ears?

Servus aus Deutschland from faulpelz

·
Registered
68 Posts
faulpelz,
I’ve only got 8400 miles on mine, but it keeps getting better. I know two other owners in my area and none have had any problems except for rear tire wear. I too have read the internet reports. Just like anything on the internet it goes round and round and pretty soon there are 100s of failures. Some “experts” have advised not spinning the motor hard until completely warmed up, there have been reports of two liabilities for this, spun main bearings and broken valve springs. It take a few miles to warm the oil up completely on these dry sump units.
JJ
:cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only folks who know the answer to your question are the beancounters at GM, and they aren't saying. Anything else is just idle speculation. I would guess that the LS7 is the most reliable production engine putting out over 500 hp - that's about all you can hope for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Some “experts” have advised not spinning the motor hard until completely warmed up, there have been reports of two liabilities for this, spun main bearings and broken valve springs. It take a few miles to warm the oil up completely on these dry sump units.
Thanks for the tip, I merge onto a 60mph highway leaving work, and love to get on it hard and pass everybody... Maybe I'll take an extra lap around the parking lot before leaving...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
883 Posts
If I buy a C6 Z06 I am not worried about engine problems with the 5 year 100.000 mile warranty it will see the same high rpm driving that my C5 sees now!

·
Registered
329 Posts
6,600 miles on our '07 Z. It's been autocrossed and spent one day at Gingerman Raceway with no issues. We drive it like it was designed to be driven! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some “experts” have advised not spinning the motor hard until completely warmed up, there have been reports of two liabilities for this, spun main bearings and broken valve springs. It take a few miles to warm the oil up completely on these dry sump units.
JJ
:cheers:
If running synthetic oil its viscosity remains pretty consistant cold or hot, but the running clearences of the engine will change with temperature.
Broken valve springs does not sound like a warm up or lubrication problem.
But in defense of valve springs, they are probably the most highly stressed component in a vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is alot of talking about problems, and as you might know in the german corvette forums are some members, which had problems.:lookinup:

I think german autobahn driving is diffrent to just cruising with some short burst.....:devil:

But I think the Z06 can take it, just follow the golden rule.....;)

I treat the car like my body..... I dont go to the gym and take some heavy weights and do full power lifts!!!

First I warm up all my "little" muscels, then I do the hardcore stuff :D

Same with my loved Z06 :buhbye:

Daniel

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is alot of talking about problems, and as you might know in the german corvette forums are some members, which had problems.:lookinup:

I think german autobahn driving is diffrent to just cruising with some short burst.....:devil:

But I think the Z06 can take it, just follow the golden rule.....;)

I treat the car like my body..... I dont go to the gym and take some heavy weights and do full power lifts!!!

First I warm up all my "little" muscels, then I do the hardcore stuff :D

Same with my loved Z06 :buhbye:

Daniel
I think you've nailed it :thumbsup:
No way to prove it, but IMHO the valve springs problems are related to mechanical over-rev (downshifting at higher speeds than the gear can take). It is relatively easy to do such mistake on the Autobahn at high speeds in the heat of the "battle" with lots of powerful cars running there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you've nailed it :thumbsup:
No way to prove it, but IMHO the valve springs problems are related to mechanical over-rev (downshifting at higher speeds than the gear can take). It is relatively easy to do such mistake on the Autobahn at high speeds in the heat of the "battle" with lots of powerful cars running there.
:agree:

I have 3,500 km on my car, at least 1,000 km at the track. Regularily shift at 6,500 - 7,000 rpm. Engine does not burn any oil.

The new Porche Turbos are equal or better in acceleration, but the Z eats them up in the corners ... function of driver ability ... probably. None the less, never been passed by a Porche. :thumbsup:

But what biturbo says, you have to watch those down shifts. It's easy when you are on the track to be down shifting/braking and over speed the engine.

Have fun.

LWM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts