Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on getting the car ready for a test drive but ran into a problem last night with the cooling. My engine is a 96 lt1 but my radiator is an aluminum Griffin for an 85 l98. The 96 car did not have a radiator cap on the radiator, instead it was on a tank up by the a/c blower motor. Since my donor car was wrecked I dont have all the original parts and hardware. I had to remove the gooseneck to get the engine block to fill but once it did everything seemed ok. Car ran for about thirty minutes, the t-stat cycled and I only have two codes, both for the fan relay. Is this going to work or will I have to find the original parts? Did this burp tank have something to do with the reverse cooling?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
shouldn't. the burp tank is the same as the old school recovery tank thought.. just mounted higher so the trapped air should rise. in theory this is better than the expansion/contraction method of radiator filling. Not sure of the sensor placements for your car-- That might affect the fan on/off signal if they aren't fully covered in coolant due to trapped air. If your car's not pulling any other codes for temp sensor problem i woudn' think the sesnors are the issue with the relays-- But not 100% certain for your year.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the relays for the fan are actually missing. The donor car was wrecked in the front so the wire harness is cut from the radiator forward. So thats the sorce of the codes, I just thought it was great that after such a huge install/change the only codes I pulled were for the relays!:thumbsup:

As far as the burp tank goes I just want to make sure I wont be trapping air in the heads or block by using a different radiator setup. Will my overflow be fine in the original location (right front fender)?

·
DC Crew
32,976 Posts
I'm running the laid down rad. set up in my car with no burp tank with no problems. If you have the early radiator you will be fine. Mine was a bitch to get full as the laid down style creates a low spot but once full it works perfectly.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I only have two codes, both for the fan relay.
Only '96 (OBDII) has feedback to ECM for fan operation ( or not)
If you put a man fan switch on a '96 you will get a code up because the fan is " operating " without the ECM telling it to ; in earlier years the ECM knows no different

1 - 5 of 5 Posts