Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to wire up my project, and I found this site that makes conversion systems called Cable X. They take the electronic pulses from the PCM and spin the mechanical cables.

Here is the link: Cable X

This issues is that each box ( 1 for speedo, 1 for tach ) is $325 ! Yikes!

I want to run stock LOOKING gauges or the stock ones themselves...

Has anyone else solved this problem differently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Dakota digital should have a kit for the tach that is cheeper, and for the speedo there are people that can convert it to eletronic.

I know speed shop inc had one done by a place called clocks by roger.

I'm about ready to wire up my project, and I found this site that makes conversion systems called Cable X. They take the electronic pulses from the PCM and spin the mechanical cables.

Here is the link: Cable X

This issues is that each box ( 1 for speedo, 1 for tach ) is $325 ! Yikes!

I want to run stock LOOKING gauges or the stock ones themselves...

Has anyone else solved this problem differently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Is the tach in your car mechanical now? You can get a later model tach and just replace it. Up to 77, I'm thinking they all mount about the same. Maybe less that $375. With some careful shopping, you could find one that's even got the same color markings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dakota digital should have a kit for the tach that is cheeper, and for the speedo there are people that can convert it to eletronic.

I know speed shop inc had one done by a place called clocks by roger.

I'll check out Dakota Digital for the tach.

Clocks by Roger? I'll search on the web, unless you have contact info.

I just looked at about half of your LS1 swap thread... freaking outstanding.

I'm doing all of the work myself so far. I'm on to the wiring of the PCM into the car. I've never done this before... any advice or instruction? Any help is appreciated.

Just wired in the Vintage Air unit today, but the PCM scares me.

TimAT - yeah, the current stock tach is mechanical... was turned off the distributor...

·
Registered
726 Posts
I started my LT1 swap about 4 yrs ago. Im still trying to decide what route Ill go with the speedo........ Its my DD so I leave my tom tom in it. Hard to justify spending $300 bucks on a speedo when I could spend it on mods for the motor!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have no idea on the speedo. I just happened to have the isspro laying around and compared the sweep. It was exactly the same as my 68 300hp/327 tach. When I swapped the face, even the 2 screw mount holes lined up.
It took about an hour of cutting plastic and metal. And the isspro overlapped the blinker and brake light holes, but it's dead on and working after a year. The ugly little metal tabs are the added on mounting holes for the blinker and brake light bulbs.
Pic of the back.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks great Gary...

can you tell me the model number of ISSPRO tach that is?

I hope it will be the same for the 73.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought a 75 electric tach and swapped the face from my 72 tach onto it. I have to change the pulse count for the LS1 PCM to get it to read correctly - not sure if that's the case with the LT1. I haven't found another solution to the Cable-X box that is available for the mechanical speedo. I think if you search around you might find a Cable-X for under $300.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a 75 electric tach and swapped the face from my 72 tach onto it. I have to change the pulse count for the LS1 PCM to get it to read correctly - not sure if that's the case with the LT1. I haven't found another solution to the Cable-X box that is available for the mechanical speedo. I think if you search around you might find a Cable-X for under $300.

Rick B.
Thank you Rick. Not sure what the pulse count is on the LT PCM for a 97 Camaro. But if I have to go with the Cable X solution for the speedo, then so be it.

But the tach is another story.

Gary, thanks for keeping up with this thread and your help.
$158 is better than $325 for the Cable X solution...

I'll look around ebay and such for a better price of the cable X for the speedo.

Roc

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check out ls1tech.com There is a section for LT1 swaps on the site that will surely have information on gauges.

Rick B.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shiftworks

I dropped a 96 LT1 in my 81 corvette. I placed a Shiftworks tail shaft on the 4L60E tranny. The Shiftworks tail shaft has provisions for the electronic vehicle speed sensor and the mechanical speedo cable. It works fine. But its just about, if not more, than the Cable X. I considered the Cable X but didn't wanna add the extra gadget between the tranny and the speedo. However, if any of you have info in converting a mechanical speedo to electrical, please post. I would love to go that route.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
However, if any of you have info in converting a mechanical speedo to electrical, please post. I would love to go that route.
As would I... I really want to use the electronics to run the speedo and the tach... problem is I want to be difficult and keep my stock faces.

Garys68 offered the tach solution. Now if there is only a speedo solution... :partyon:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts