Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew the motor in my 95 A4 and i was going to just rebuild the LT1 with a little prefornamce, but if it is possible i would like to drop a LT5 in.

Does anyone know if they make a bellhousing to bolt up, and is it even possible to do with an automatic or do you think its to much power for the stock tranny with 90k miles?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I wouldn't do it... Them LT5's run for BIG $$'s!!! I'd just rebuilt my LT1 with a procharger upgrade and some nice h/c package and be the man :devil: That's all I can say about it...

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
For the cost involved you can do much more with your current motor. So unless you are just wanting to be able to say "I have an LT-5" I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
It is possible to mate an LT-5 to an auto tranny, but I don't know if the parts are readily available for it. My dad was part of the team that took a ZR-1 and slapped an auto in it before GM released the ZR-1. From what I remember him telling me, there is ALOT of wiring to be done along with some fab work.

I'll try and pick his brain and see if he remembers any problems they ran into. I do agree with Raid though.....rebuild the LT-1. Parts are easy to find compared to the LT-5, and alot cheaper too.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
the LT5 is no longer in production,there were a very limited amount made, spare parts were and are both scarece and very expensive and becoming far harder to find at any price.
its NOT a dirrect bolt in swap
it requires a totally differant air conditioner housing, starter, and several other major components.
if you must get exotic install a big block, preferably a aluminum BIG BLOCK

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
http://www.eportworks.com/lt1.html

Go that route. You'll easily put down 400 rwhp with the LE2 package. He's a very respected and does great work with LT1 and LS1 engines from what I've read, nothing but good things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
lt5

I dont think it would be cost effective, an auto trans has been matched with a lt5 before. I seen photos of it on zr1.net/forums.
The lt5 is a awesome/bullet proof engine. Best engine ever in a vette.
:cheers:
Ray

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't do it... I'd just rebuilt my LT1 with a procharger upgrade and some nice h/c package and be the man :devil: That's all I can say about it...
:agree: Hmmmm, interesting concept. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replys i've decided not to do it after talking to a few friends.
I just wanted to be different, there's allready several built c4s in my area but im going to rebuild the lt1 im not sure with what yet but im going to keep lookin.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for all your replys i've decided not to do it after talking to a few friends.
I just wanted to be different, there's allready several built c4s in my area but im going to rebuild the lt1 im not sure with what yet but im going to keep lookin.
Good decision. Its not worth the cost, time and hassle.
There is one ZR1, located in Colorado, with an auto trans.
Contrary to popular belief, parts are available, you just need to know the sources.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
You want to make this switch - - you must be a masochistic.

Put in a stroker LT1: cheaper/faster and all parts will match, fit and work.
I know of ONE person who did this and to this day he regrets he ever started it; said he would rather have his 'mother in law move in permanently.' that should say it all . . :thud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts