Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I welded bungs into my header tubes for installing EGT probes. I bought 4 probes and 2 nice meters to record the temperature of 4 cylinders at a time and spit out the temp difference between cylinders.
At first I found about 158 degrees difference between the highest and lowest but after stagger jetting got that down to 128 degrees.
The normal exhaust temperture runs in the low 1100's to the very low 1200's with idle quickly dropping down to about 1000.
Last night I went to remove a bung and move one of the probes and found the dry seal fozen solid.
When I installed the probes and the dry seals I used both tephon tape and copper antiseize. I wanted to unscrew the probes after testing.
I found everything froze solid, the ones with tephon and anti sieze and the ones with just anti seize. Really ticked me off since I was so careful about applying something and not NOT overtightening.
I find that the oxygen sensors, one in each collector come out easily even after a year of running but right out of the header flange they seize up quickly.
Anyone have suggestions for future lubricant to prevent this?
I intend to drive the car and while the exhuast temperatures are high pull over the try loosening the probes part of a turn.
I really hate to put a torch anywhere near my heads or anything else in the car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hot might be the best shot.

Have never had any probs with copper antisieze, but my big can is very old and a lot of the fluid has been used/ evaporated and left really thick copper. Maybe that the secret.

When you get it out, you may try relieving the threads on both parts a bit.

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hot might be the best shot.

Have never had any probs with copper antisieze, but my big can is very old and a lot of the fluid has been used/ evaporated and left really thick copper. Maybe that the secret.

When you get it out, you may try relieving the threads on both parts a bit.
My large can of anti seize is also fairly dry. Still good, like thick grease and I use it on everything. Like I said the oxygen sensors come right out after a year but they don't reach this 1200 degree heat.
I can easily run a tap through the threaded bungs but the bungs are new.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My large can of anti seize is also fairly dry. Still good, like thick grease and I use it on everything. Like I said the oxygen sensors come right out after a year but they don't reach this 1200 degree heat.
I can easily run a tap through the threaded bungs but the bungs are new.

Didn't you chase them with a tap after welding?

You can try using a little less than the 75% depth on the threads.

Frankly I've never had any probs with the copper. Most is rated at up to 1000°C. That's a "C".:laughing:
That's pretty damn hot.

http://www.jameswalker.biz/jwco/products/copper_anti-seize_compound.html

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't you chase them with a tap after welding?

You can try using a little less than the 75% depth on the threads.

Frankly I've never had any probs with the copper. Most is rated at up to 1000°C. That's a "C".:laughing:
That's pretty damn hot.

http://www.jameswalker.biz/jwco/products/copper_anti-seize_compound.html
Of coarse I chased the threads after welding. I pretapped, welded the bungs and then finish taped so the dry seal plugs were flush with the inside of the tube. I even rocked the probes back and forth a little about once a week but suddenly found them seized

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Of coarse I chased the threads after welding. I pretapped, welded the bungs and then finish taped so the dry seal plugs were flush with the inside of the tube. I even rocked the probes back and forth a little about once a week but suddenly found them seized

Wonder if one of your horses pissed on them......:rolling: :rolling: :spanked: :cheers: :devil:

SOMEONE had to say it......:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts