Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is not old info, so many engine configurations have been thrown around its hard to keep them straight. In an interview with Car and Driver Bob Lutz told them that the SS engine will be of greater displacement than the 7.0 in the current Z06. He also said that HP will be in excess of 600 but 700 would be a stretch. The interview can be found on the C&D website on the first page.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
Hmmm....very interesting..

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hope this is not old info, so many engine configurations have been thrown around its hard to keep them straight. In an interview with Car and Driver Bob Lutz told them that the SS engine will be of greater displacement than the 7.0 in the current Z06. He also said that HP will be in excess of 600 but 700 would be a stretch. The interview can be found on the C&D website on the first page.

maybe if he counted the displacement with the supercharger added in

·
Registered
78 Posts
maybe if he counted the displacement with the supercharger added in
I'm guessing that's what they've done. It's escaped the reaper too... probably because it was so damn fast he couldn't catch up. Here's what Autoblog had to say.
By golly, when Bob Lutz wants to make you feel good, he sure knows how to say all the right things. After hitting the pause button on GM's RWD cars -- a gut punch to GM fans waiting for some high horsepower goodies -- Lutz acknowledged the existence of the Blue Devil Corvette for the first time, and told Car and Driver that along with the Camaro, the Blue Devil has escaped the Reaper and is "in the final stages of tuning."

While saying that the development of the car has been challenging, he delivered a number of heartwarming quotables like "This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelope that we've never explored before. . . . We're really into a speed and power realm that General Motors has never been in before. We're way up there with Porsche Carrera GTs and Ferraris."

What does that mean? It means more displacement than the Z06's 7.0L V8, but Lutz wouldn't say how much. It means "comfortably in excess of" 600 hp, but not quite 700, which GM's Head of Powertrain, Tom Stephens, says pehaps might come "in the second year." It means 0-to-60 in less than 3.4 seconds. And it means so much torque, Lutz says, that "we're obviously going to have to restrict it because otherwise you get nothing but wheelspin."

Lutz also wouldn't be cornered on an arrival date or the official name of the car, but rumors are 2009 and SS, Z07, or Stingray, along with a $100,000 price tag. Leave it to Bob to deliver that kind of good news on Friday the 13th

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/13/2009-corvette-ss-blue-devil-in-final-stage-of-tuning/

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mmmmm more displacement and a supercharger to get only 650hp? Now that we are at 7.0l the cylinder walls are very thin and some people here say that is no good for force induction then imagine more displacement engine that the cylinder walls are going to get thinner. Really some thing doesn’t add up .:WTF

·
Registered
162 Posts
The motor is definitely 6.2L
Well, unless Lutz lied or C&D quoted him wrong, the article says more than 7.0 liters. That could be 7.1 for all we know.

Since the Z06 engine cylinder walls are already so thin, perhaps, they have a substantially redesigned LS7? Or even a whole other engine, I dunno. Very interesting, we all thought 6.2. Either way, its still over 600 ponies!

Anyone know what the engineer meant when he said that it won't be 700 hp, but maybe in the second year? What exactly does he mean by the "second year"?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I too agree that evidence has shown that the only way the engine has a displacement greater than 7.0L is that they had to add the displacement of the supercharger.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I too agree that evidence has shown that the only way the engine has a displacement greater than 7.0L is that they had to add the displacement of the supercharger.
Oh...ok. Seems kinda like a weird thing to do. Seeing how the other fella on these boards confirmed the engine at 6.2 liters, that makes sense. Still, over 600 hp is still good news. GM is really working hard in their engineering dept.! Hopefully this trickles down...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Oh...ok. Seems kinda like a weird thing to do. Seeing how the other fella on these boards confirmed the engine at 6.2 liters, that makes sense. Still, over 600 hp is still good news. GM is really working hard in their engineering dept.! Hopefully this trickles down...
Anything to make is sound bigger/better in the marketing department.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Heh not sure how to explain what uncle Bob said. Maybe he had a 2 martini lunch? Maybe the reporter did.

But yea..perhaps some creative marketing at work there. The motor alone is 6.2L

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
My guess is we have another Car rag reporter with cotton in his ears and writing with imagination / literary licence - like the MT guy. The article says "Lutz won’t divulge engine details except to say the displacement of the new powertrain is greater than the pushrod 7.0-liter V-8 in the Z06."

My bet is that Lutz actually said, "... the horse power of the new powertrain is greater than the 7.0-liter V-8 in the Z06."

I also think the writer inserted "pushrod" into the supposed quote because he thinks the SS will be a DOHC.

My money is on Explorer 97, not MT, not C&D.

·
Registered
816 Posts
700 horsepower possible:

In terms of horsepower, Lutz said: “We’re certainly not going to be at 600 because some of our competition is at 600. So, 600 is a number that is not satisfactory for us. I would say comfortably in excess of 600 is the way I would term it.” As for 700 horses, “that would be a stretch. Tom Stephens (GM’s head of powertrain) would say, ‘maybe in the second year.’”

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Regardless of the displacement, it will be an interesting year with all the rumors that are bound to pop up.:partyon:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts