Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob Lutz, former GM Chair and Head of market development, in an interview with Automotive News, gave his opinion on the future of Corvette; what he would do. Interesting and at times inconsistent, IMO, but here it is:

1. I don’t think anyone is going to get out of a Porsche 911 and buy a mid-engine Corvette

2. The Corvette customer base is aging and younger buyers simply aren’t replacing them. Corvette should make a no compromises performance SUV a bit larger than the Porsche Cayenne and sell in medium volumes for $100,000.

I've been a Lutz fan for a very long time, but anyone else see the inconsistency with his plan? Corvette needs to generate desire and salivation in younger hearts without abandoning the current demographic. IMO, a $100k SUV might be a decent contributor to a Corvette division bottom line, but does nothing to accomplish this. An entrance level AFFORDABLE Corvette model is a MUST to lure a younger market for Corvette. GM thinks THAT is the job of the Camaro.

IMO, Camaro loyalty, does not assure Corvette longevity. Take the Camaro chassis to the next level similar to the AMX did with the Javalin. However, in this case, starting with a superior front engine platform, cut seats, lower height, and weight adjust the suspension accordingly, add some Corvette styling ques and a price that is not cheap, but superior performance for less than a comparable Mustang or Challenger. Corvette needs to groom some younger pocketbooks because a lot of us here won't be buying Corvettes in 10-15 years.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,360 Posts
I'm probably on the last Vette I'll ever buy but when I kick over someone will get a good deal. I don't think the under 40 crowd is abandoning the Vette entirely but since the introduction of the C5 (and some C4's) the cars are built better & stronger meaning they last a lot longer. This translates into a lot of used ones out there at affordable prices for those that might never buy a new one

·
Registered
510 Posts
I hate to say this, but they need to "take the microphone" away from Lutz. He's been making some ludicrous comments about the auto industry over the past few years.

He needs to just enjoy retirement and go down in automotive history! :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Their only new for a year anyway. I bought new cars/trucks but never a new Vette.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm probably on the last Vette I'll ever buy but when I kick over someone will get a good deal. I don't think the under 40 crowd is abandoning the Vette entirely but since the introduction of the C5 (and some C4's) the cars are built better & stronger meaning they last a lot longer. This translates into a lot of used ones out there at affordable prices for those that might never buy a new one
Your obvious point is that the nature of used Corvettes is that there are plenty of pristine, low mileage, great performing, reasonably priced used examples available for younger guys to get into and get hooked.

You do make an excellent point. Hard to rebut, other than to say that we haven't seen as many coming into the Corvette life as we have seen departing it. Also, the idea is that GM should be capitalizing on the Corvette name and consumers should have the opportunity to enjoy The Corvette of other segments, but which ones? A $100k SUV, to me, is not the Corvette of SUVs regardless of how it performs if it starts at $100k. To me Corvette means Performance Value and that's just not a "value" price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts