Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to clear a code 23 in my 1981 coupe. My shop manual tells me to check voltage at M/C solenoid dwell lead, well, where is it? I found a green plug (not being used) hanging up front of the engine near air pump, could this be the dwell lead. Also, how do I check for voltage? The plug that I found goes to ground. Thanks for any help.
I have done lots of mechanical work to my vette, but I really s--k at the electriocal stuff.:buhbye:

·
Registered
749 Posts
no, that's not it. it's on top of your carb...you'll see two wires leading into it.

if you have a GM shop manual, look on page 6C4-6 for the location.

on page 6E1-21 it tells you how to check. when mine went bad it was the ECM..i bought a new one and never had a problem since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MGA,
Thanks for the help, I will check those pages this morning. I am worried that my ECM is also the problem. This is my third one in 6 years.
If you are ever in the New Paltz, NY area let me know. Maybe we can get together and share some stories. Thanks again.

·
Registered
749 Posts
we travel all around new york state with the vette...next time we're down that way i'll let you know.

3 ECM's means something isn't right, or someone isn't diagnosing the problems correctly. you should not be going thru them like that.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
with the air cleaner removed when you turn the key on (not running) you should hear the solinoid clicking in your carb. If not, you should see 2 wires (I forget the colors) comming out of the top of the carb. backprobe the wires at the connector for dwell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts