Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Do You Buy Made in the U.S.A. "when possible" ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wal-Mart's massive imports of cheap Chinese-made goods plays a major role in the meltdown of U.S. manufacturing jobs. A new report by the Economic Policy Institute shows that Wal-Mart's share of the record trade deficit with China cost nearly 200,000 of the 1.8 million U.S. jobs--mainly manufacturing--lost since 2001 because of the massive trade imbalance. So much for the retailer's claim it creates U.S. jobs.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
What ever happened to Wal Mart's "We buy American" campaign? It wasn't that long ago...:huh:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I try whenever I can
last year bought a new mower
and all the advice from people was "Get a Honda"

sorry but it's not happining! :down:

I went with a craftsman had to search all over it and the box
to find the Made in U.S.A but it's there! and it's been perfect. :thumbsup:

All we can hope is all these new TV shows that glorify welders and tradesmen
will rub off on todays kids and restore Pride back into the American Made Product

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ispiron. You're too young to remember when "American Made" used to have pride attached to it. The younger generation want whats most affordable. If you're over 40, you're dad and older brothers all had American (sometimes euro) but overwhelmingly American Cars, Now People under 20 (probably becouse our failing economy or the fact that young people with kids dont have money) grew up with a dad driving a honda or whatever...

this is all fine but it's the reason why younger people don't have a romantic nastalga with the american car...add that to the fact that (for example) My dad was in Iwo Jima during WWII as an airplane mec. and I still have trouble supporting a nation that attacked us, at the expense of our own, just to save a few bucks.

All that I ask is if it's a tie on all points support the American co. :thumbsup:

Please dont take what I said as an insult in any way. I've read a lot of your posts and I think your pretty cool (for a young whipper-snapper) ;) And best of all Your a VETTE fanatic!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I’m 22 and I try to buy American made when possible. All of my fly fishing gear has it displayed proudly, "big tags". I will also never buy any kind of tool not made is the USA. My buddy’s had a ton of those cheap tools and they always break. Now liqure on the other hand.....

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
Ispiron. You're too young to remember when "American Made" used to have pride attached to it. The younger generation want whats most affordable. If you're over 40, you're dad and older brothers all had American (sometimes euro) but overwhelmingly American Cars, Now People under 20 (probably becouse our failing economy or the fact that young people with kids dont have money) grew up with a dad driving a honda or whatever...

this is all fine but it's the reason why younger people don't have a romantic nastalga with the american car...add that to the fact that (for example) My dad was in Iwo Jima during WWII as an airplane mec. and I still have trouble supporting a nation that attacked us, at the expense of our own, just to save a few bucks.

All that I ask is if it's a tie on all points support the American co. :thumbsup:

Please dont take what I said as an insult in any way. I've read a lot of your posts and I think your pretty cool (for a young whipper-snapper) ;) And best of all Your a VETTE fanatic!
If all things were equal then I'd definaly buy American.

I believe in capitalisim, the strongest survive and If American industry cannot compete then we do not deserve to survive.

It seems like years ago people worked more and got paied less,the goverment had less rules and lower taxes, America became a big exporter and we got the worlds money, It seems like today were working less for more, there more rules, regulations, taxes and America as a whole is loosing money.

If we cannot compete then we don't deserve to have the world's money.

Thats how I feel about that, You may disagree and I respect your opinoin.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you compete against $1.00 an hour and in some cases even less and countries that have no enviromental laws and do anything for profit and this is just scratching the surface. I am American First then Consumer second. Would you not agree that being patriotic is doing whats good for Americans. Buying American is doing whats good for Americans. We can compete when the playing field is level. In my case I would by an American car with a life span of only 100,000 miles (if this were true) over a foriegn car with a life span of 150,000 miles , thats just me. I think it's worth it for my country. I got to think about the over all picture not just about "me". I've been buying American when ever possible all my life and it's worked O.K. so far.

·
Registered
759 Posts
You're points are all valid! Inspion :cheers: no doubt...thats what worries me

My wife and I didn't have kids (thats how I pay for the Vette)

so 40-50 years from now doesn't really concern me personally

But If I did, I'd be worried about the kind of lifestyle they would enjoy

I always liked the Whole U.S.A #1 like it was when I was young

It's tough to think we'll be past by so many countrys becouse of their

poor living standards (paying employees low wage no benifit jobs) our

poor biz management, govt. corruption And and edjucation system thats

leaving our future totally unprepared for the few jobs that will be around :down:

oh yeah can i just add Bush Sucks...thanks

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I try whenever I can
last year bought a new mower
and all the advice from people was "Get a Honda"

sorry but it's not happining! :down:

I went with a craftsman had to search all over it and the box
to find the Made in U.S.A but it's there! and it's been perfect. :thumbsup:

All we can hope is all these new TV shows that glorify welders and tradesmen
will rub off on todays kids and restore Pride back into the American Made Product
:agree: I bought a John Deere.

·
I have an Acer now.
4,591 Posts
You're points are all valid! Inspion :cheers: no doubt...thats what worries me

My wife and I didn't have kids (thats how I pay for the Vette)

so 40-50 years from now doesn't really concern me personally

But If I did, I'd be worried about the kind of lifestyle they would enjoy

I always liked the Whole U.S.A #1 like it was when I was young

It's tough to think we'll be past by so many countrys becouse of their

poor living standards (paying employees low wage no benifit jobs) our

poor biz management, govt. corruption And and edjucation system thats

leaving our future totally unprepared for the few jobs that will be around :down:

oh yeah can i just add Bush Sucks...thanks

These nations have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance; from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage.

- Sir Alex Fraser Tytler

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If two products are equal, I definitely buy American. However, if two products are quite distant in quality, price, ect., I will not buy American. Unfortunately , between our despicable tax code and the Chinese showing complete disregard for all rules and regulations, it is more and more becoming hard to find good American products that can be better enough in quality to offset their higher price versus Chinese products. Of course, you have to wonder how American "American" products are when the President and Congress absolutely refuse to go after and punish the corporations who hire illegal immigrants. Thank goodness that horrible "open the door way for all terrorists" amnesty bill went down in a ball of flames....:devil: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Let me start by saying one thing. When America losses manufacturing, America losses.

To the subject at hand, Wal-Mart, I avoid them at all cost. Not just because they no longer support America, but because, let's face it, it sucks to shop there! Nothing grips me more than to see 10+ people in line with 2 registers open in a store with 20+ registers. But to save a buck, they dont staff.

And to buy American at Wal-Mart is a challenge in itself.

Let's face it, in our country's efforts to cut cost, to make more products available to more people, and we all wanted this, companies had to go overseas for cheap labor. Americans workers need to be paid a decent wage and to do so, companies can't afford to manufacture here. So the jobs go elsewhere and we in the long run will pay the price.

I have a kid and I worry about his future and the future of his kids. Where are they going to work? Wal-Mart for minimum wage? What type of life are they going to have? What standard of living will they have?

"They" say we need to move toward high tech jobs. That's all good and is true, but what about the products that need to be made from this field? What about manufacturing?

And finally, companies such as MicroSoft import foriegn workers for their high tech jobs because they say they can't find enough workers here. I call BS. They bring in workers from other countries because they can pay them less than they pay American worker. MicroSoft just announced they will be opening a new place in Canada because they can use more foriegn workers.

If you want cheap stuff, keep buying products made elsehwere, but watch your wages go down with it. The folks working at Wal-Mart can go buy stuff from Target, and visa-versa. But none of us will have the standard of living that has made this country great in years to come.

(Stepping down from soap box now) Thanks for allowing me to vent.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I'm scared of Wal-mart. You see the strangest people in there.:crazy:

I tend to buy things based on quality. Which probly breaks down to 70% of the products I buy being made in North America. I would never buy something based on where it is made. If companies want my business they need to make a superior product. :huh:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me start by saying one thing. When America losses manufacturing, America losses.

To the subject at hand, Wal-Mart, I avoid them at all cost. Not just because they no longer support America, but because, let's face it, it sucks to shop there! Nothing grips me more than to see 10+ people in line with 2 registers open in a store with 20+ registers. But to save a buck, they dont staff.

And to buy American at Wal-Mart is a challenge in itself.

Let's face it, in our country's efforts to cut cost, to make more products available to more people, and we all wanted this, companies had to go overseas for cheap labor. Americans workers need to be paid a decent wage and to do so, companies can't afford to manufacture here. So the jobs go elsewhere and we in the long run will pay the price.

I have a kid and I worry about his future and the future of his kids. Where are they going to work? Wal-Mart for minimum wage? What type of life are they going to have? What standard of living will they have?

"They" say we need to move toward high tech jobs. That's all good and is true, but what about the products that need to be made from this field? What about manufacturing?

And finally, companies such as MicroSoft import foriegn workers for their high tech jobs because they say they can't find enough workers here. I call BS. They bring in workers from other countries because they can pay them less than they pay American worker. MicroSoft just announced they will be opening a new place in Canada because they can use more foriegn workers.

If you want cheap stuff, keep buying products made elsehwere, but watch your wages go down with it. The folks working at Wal-Mart can go buy stuff from Target, and visa-versa. But none of us will have the standard of living that has made this country great in years to come.

(Stepping down from soap box now) Thanks for allowing me to vent.
:agree: I can't add much to that. We have plenty of good quality goods made here as well. Some people try to use that as an excuse to buy products made elsewhere when they are looking for cheaper prices. I found you usually get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts