Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need education on MAF sensors please.. Round plastic ones with plugs in different orientations, metal ones with a cartridge sandwich ...in which the cartridge alone seems to cost double what the whole sensor and the aluminum housing together costs.

But it seems that most every gm replacement maf of either style "fits" my 04 gto. So what should I really be looking for here? Does one style have better airflow, are the the electronics all pretty much the same as for ecm tunes? Any insight? :huh:
TIA

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
:D I would Love to share with you what I know about maf sensors and their calibrations and different types of gm maf's and how they can interchange in your vehicle.

so the job of a Mass Air Flow sensor is to translate raw airflow into something that a computer can interpret. it does this with a small single wire in the center of the airstream. the pcm will send electrical current across this wire until it achieves a specific resistance. as air flows across this wire, it cools it and changes its resistance. and the pcm measures how much current it takes to bring this wire back to it's specific resistance. the different types you need to look out for are not so much in size or shape, but in signal typethey send back to the pcm. a lot of earlier fords had a maf that would send back a 0-5v signal linear to airflow. but gm's and most of todays vehicles send back a frequency. a hz that is a measure from a pwm driven circuit.

Tuning the maf sensor is achieved in a few ways. first there is a calibration for your maf sensor. this base calibration can be coopied over from a car that has the maf you want to use. here is what that calibration looks like:

then that base calibration can be tuned to perfection by recording what the long term fuel trims are doing with a histogram. here is what that histogram looks like:

And there is 1 more thing on the subject of tuning. maf sensors have a window they can operate in. wether it is 0-5v or 0-12 or 14k hz , and sometimes a motor will breathe so well and so much that it will push the maf outside this limitation. and this means that the maf sensor needs to be mounted inside a larger diameter snorkel to slow down the incoming air charge and then be re calibrated or tuned for it with the histogram. and I think this paragraph should explain to you in great detail what the cartridge style airflow sensors are all about. is that they can easily be placed in different housings.

my recommendation for a c5 or c6 with old screened style is to switch to newer card style. hardcoreABN has already done this to his c5.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts