Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I haven't posted in a while.....but I have a problem! My car has been acting up……I got a code 43 and 64. Knock sensor and oxygen sensor codes. The car is very loud (in a bad way) and is backfiring like crazy. It has no power either. Also, don’t know if it is related, but the ASR light is on. This only happens while driving. Idle sounds fine. So, my buddy brought his “professional” scanner over and he could not see anything. Anyway…long story short, we unplugged the MAF sensor and she ran much better. So, logical thinking would be change the MAF, have my car back.

Does everyone agree with that or could we be missing something?

Assuming the MAF is the culprit what are my options? Should I get a factory replacement? Are there any other “budget minded” things to do when I am doing this? Is there a “performance” upgrade for the MAF….if so what other mods do I need to see the benefits?

Thanks in advance,
-Rick

· Registered
12,429 Posts
Before you buy a new MAF, have you tried cleaning the one you have? I don't know anything about C4 MAF's, but I've played around a bit with MAF's for my C5. If you get dirt or oil on the sensor wires, it will change everything.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you buy a new MAF, have you tried cleaning the one you have? I don't know anything about C4 MAF's, but I've played around a bit with MAF's for my C5. If you get dirt or oil on the sensor wires, it will change everything.
Certainly can't hurt!! I will give it a try. :thumbsup:

· Registered
12,429 Posts
Certainly can't hurt!! I will give it a try. :thumbsup:
If your going to clean the MAF, be very careful and don't touch the wires or resistors with anything. The best way to clean them is to go to Radio Shack or an electronic supply place and buy a non-residue contact cleaner. The non-residue is the important part. The othe type of cleaner has an oil in the mixture and that will only make your problems worse.

Also, when spraying the cleaner on, be careful to not put too much on at once. It's very cold when it evaporates and you can put a measurable amount of frost on your electronics. It won't hurt, but then you'll have to wait for it to evaporate. :thumbsup:

If you know the above already, sorry for being redundant. :thumbsup:

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your going to clean the MAF, be very careful and don't touch the wires or resistors with anything. The best way to clean them is to go to Radio Shack or an electronic supply place and buy a non-residue contact cleaner. The non-residue is the important part. The othe type of cleaner has an oil in the mixture and that will only make your problems worse.

Also, when spraying the cleaner on, be careful to not put too much on at once. It's very cold when it evaporates and you can put a measurable amount of frost on your electronics. It won't hurt, but then you'll have to wait for it to evaporate. :thumbsup:

If you know the above already, sorry for being redundant. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.