Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '63 convertible project car. The body is pretty good, but the whole center strip of the dash has been cut out. (Lord knows why???) The strips where the dash pads mount are there; it's just the center panel that's cut out. Any pointers on where I would have some luck finding a replacement or anyone that can repair this? It doesn't have to be perfect & original when it's done because I'm going to do a resto-mod. If someone makes a patch panel or something that bonds onto the original dash, that could work.

Thanks.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If you are building a restomod just let it be for the time being and maybe sometime during the resto you will be hit with inspiration on how to make it what you want.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you have a picture of dash you could post?

Like to see how much of the center of dash was removed. No one makes a patch. Should not be to much of a problem to repair if the left any of the center's sides and piece across bottom.

Both dashes on my cars have had the radio opening patched in. Both are Restomods, and I need the space.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
...and now with the actual picture.

Got a shot looking head on. Looks like center section is cut out all the way to the speaker opening.

They didn't leave much of the dash face to work with up at top were it curves over. Hope the right side of it has more material left.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
...and now with the actual picture.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you need to find a wreck and cut out the section of dash you are missing. There is no way to fabricate what was cut out there and I don't think anybody make a patch piece for the dash. Try going to carlisle or look on E-bay for total wrecks. The biggest problem these days is that what used to be considered total wrecks are now considered restorable.

If you do find one make sure they overcut it plenty so you can trim it to fit. I hope you can weld well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you need to find a wreck and cut out the section of dash you are missing. There is no way to fabricate what was cut out there and I don't think anybody make a patch piece for the dash. Try going to carlisle or look on E-bay for total wrecks. The biggest problem these days is that what used to be considered total wrecks are now considered restorable.

If you do find one make sure they overcut it plenty so you can trim it to fit. I hope you can weld well. :thumbsup:
Unfourtantly he's in england not US. Carlisle could be expensive trip.

Dash is fiberglass so I'm not sure where the weldling comes in.

If he can establish contour where dash curves at top with flexable backing board to layup fiberglass too, he may be able to patch it.

Even if speaker opening is cut, he could just go ahead and glass that over too, and delete speaker like 63 Grand Sport vettes, but retain dash pads. Are he could take speaker grill and glass it in like we did with my 64 dash panel.

Another option would be finding someone that has dash out of a car, that would layup a patch panel for him and ship it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas. Looks like any way I try to repair it, I'll be dragging out the glass mat & resin.

Also, I live in England, but I'm American and will be coming back to the US before I start the project; so trying to pick something up at Carlisle is still a viable option.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Unfourtantly he's in england not US. Carlisle could be expensive trip.

Dash is fiberglass so I'm not sure where the weldling comes in.

If he can establish contour where dash curves at top with flexable backing board to layup fiberglass too, he may be able to patch it.

Even if speaker opening is cut, he could just go ahead and glass that over too, and delete speaker like 63 Grand Sport vettes, but retain dash pads. Are he could take speaker grill and glass it in like we did with my 64 dash panel.

Another option would be finding someone that has dash out of a car, that would layup a patch panel for him and ship it.
DUH.....you are absolutly correct the dash is fiberglass. Bit of a brain fart. But it would still be impossible to recreate the contours of the original piece. He would be way better off if he could find a chunk. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts