Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used gary to build my diff and what a great job.
I used lars to do my carb and again what a great job
I used bid 2 bird jeff to rebuild the dizzy what a great job and he installed it and timed it wow what great people.
Thanks to all

NOW THE OTHER END
knew this machanic that has used my services. He has a c3 So I deside to let him Change my clutch. frist he breaks the dip stick. then I see he has the car on a x type lift
and has the trans loose (To late for me to stop him ) 5 days later he says it done. I drive it home. The next day I smell oil burning, oil leaking from the trans. The pressure switch on the side of the trans is broken. I get that fixed Then I found he had cut the heat sheld the sets on top of the trans and I can keep going on on on . But it not worth it, oh 300 miles and the clutch is making a raddling noise.

Anyway MY ADVICE be carefull of who you trust. stay with the fourm and thay can tell you who to use.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
My mechanic rocks. Hell I don't even care if he takes my Vette home with him.

When he works on the car, he works on it like it's his own. Zero short cuts, always right. He's the mechanic in Vette Dogs.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mechanic rocks. Hell I don't even care if he takes my Vette home with him.

When he works on the car, he works on it like it's his own. Zero short cuts, always right. He's the mechanic in Vette Dogs.
Well he make house calls in calif?

·
Registered
16,602 Posts
My mechanic rocks.

:agree: I wouldn't trust my baby with just anyone. Chris (my mechanic) and his boss (Jeff) are both Vette enthusiasts. I have a tremendous amount of confidence when I turn "Millie" over to those boys. I'm sure I'd have the same confidence turning it over to Al (Patrick's mechanic). :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Well he make house calls in calif?
I wish that every state had an Al Dashto. Because I'm having serious reservations leaving Illinois unless he's willing to move to whatever state I might move to.

You'll never meet a more humble, patient or hard working mechanic. I mean... the guy takes time to mentor me, and that takes a LOT of time and patience, and certainly makes more work for him.

But, he lets me bend chrome moly, do some spot welds with the mig, clean bolts on the wire wheel, and sweep the shop. He rocks. Oh, and he's worked 7 days a week, sometimes until 2am, to get the DC cars fixed and ready for the next event. :partyon:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My mechanic is pretty good sometimes and at other times he ain't worth a
CRAP! and has to go ask questions on a forum of all places :crazy:
If he could just learn how to weld and do bodywork he might be able to
make himself a descent living..... who knows........................:rolleyes:

Oh! he calls himself..........SMYDA :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My mechanic is a pain in the ass but I love me.:D
:agree:

I have the same problem- and my girlfriend loves my vette mechanic too. I only get a little anal about how things are done. :rolling:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Clutch

Darrow,
Pull the clutch first. If it only has 500 miles on it, it could be something simple or stupid. I can get most any clutch from Tops Auto, a local speed shop up the street.
Or, start a new thread. Maybe someone has had good experience with a BB clutch. I haven't changed one in 30 years, but have the feeling I am about to do two. Right John?:laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not that anyone would dream of taking their 'Vette there, but my mother-in-law took her old Jeep Cherokee to Wal-Mart for an oil change, and they broke a fuel injector in the process.
I wouldn't let them touch any car of mine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darrow,
Pull the clutch first. If it only has 500 miles on it, it could be something simple or stupid. I can get most any clutch from Tops Auto, a local speed shop up the street.
Or, start a new thread. Maybe someone has had good experience with a BB clutch. I haven't changed one in 30 years, but have the feeling I am about to do two. Right John?:laughing:
ok will do

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
CLutch

Rattle? Does it go away when you push the pedal? Does it rattle all the time? Toss some more info out here please. It may be a spring on the linkage is missing and letting the t/o bearing run on the fingers. A manual trans car has a solid x-member- it SUX to pull the tranny, just barely enough room. You've got to pull the tranny back as far as you can, jack the engine up, pull back a little more, then start working it down and lowering the engine all at the same time.

I'd offer to help, but I'm in FLORIDA right now.:D I do have a pilot shaft I can send you if it'd help. 10 spline I think- standard GM car/light truck stuff. Got a couple of big ones too- 1-5/8 and 2 inch.

:cheers:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rattle? Does it go away when you push the pedal? Does it rattle all the time? Toss some more info out here please. It may be a spring on the linkage is missing and letting the t/o bearing run on the fingers. A manual trans car has a solid x-member- it SUX to pull the tranny, just barely enough room. You've got to pull the tranny back as far as you can, jack the engine up, pull back a little more, then start working it down and lowering the engine all at the same time.

I'd offer to help, but I'm in FLORIDA right now.:D I do have a pilot shaft I can send you if it'd help. 10 spline I think- standard GM car/light truck stuff. Got a couple of big ones too- 1-5/8 and 2 inch.

tim it only makes the noise when the pedal in ingaged.
let me look at it some more and look at everything I can the clutch seems to be holding ok ??????:huh: thanks for the help I need all I can get.

·
They call me, Hugh Huffner
584 Posts
I agree about watching who you trust!!!

My mech is FANTASTIC with machine work, and pre smog cars. He is a complete dingus when it comes to electrical or emissions.

I took a running, smoggable california car to him for a rebuild. My car now will never pass smog...he blew the emissions, we went through 4 carbuerators, and she still leaks oil a bit. got a decent price, but 2 months over in time. I just do not think he was ready for a Corvette. Maybe an old firebird, fairlane, or 'maro.....but not a vette. Did I mention that ALL of my guages and windshield wipers worked (complete with NEW switch and NEW motor) now my speedo/tach will not illum, and my temp/oil press /volts or fuel gauges are now non functional. The engine harness had to be removed, he clogged the cat (the car was putting out more smoke than you average 61 peterbuilt in desperate need of a rebuild) Isn't that nice? finally got my car back after an extra month of time for a friggin oil leak (still doing that) , and to REDO the gears in the rear end. Guess who ain't gettin any $$$????

Car runs ok....just getting break in done...and waiting to find a REAL mechanic in the Mesa Area. Also need an electrician.

However...if anyone needs a PHENOMENAL body/paint guy and you are here in the Valley....drop me a line....I have the master for you!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts

Hey Tim, you like yesterday's t'storms?? about flooded hell outta my joint, and in another thread you find I had a oil spill disaster....freeking cat....

it's a hell of a mess....

gimme a call....

later....

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am my own mechanic :D and engineer and fabricator and welder and tuner and carpenter and plumber and electrician and floor sweep... :thud: :thud: :thud:

I use external folks when I 110% trust them and know their skills AND I dont have time to do it myself.

;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tim it only makes the noise when the pedal in ingaged.
let me look at it some more and look at everything I can the clutch seems to be holding ok ??????:huh: thanks for the help I need all I can get.
Tim took it out tonight just to see. Ran it some what hard in all gears from start to about 90 and no noise anytime....
Got on the fwy a little fast but no slip or noise from the clutch. Guess I will just wait and see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts