Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Malice in the Power Window Palace Part 3: Install Motor

In Part 3 we will take a look at installing the power window motor. If you are going back together with the same components you took out, then it should be pretty much just reversing the sequence laid out in Part 2 of this series.

However, if you are installing replacement components (i.e. the motor, regulator, drive gear) and they are not genuine GM parts, then several pitfalls might be waiting for you. With our old C3’s, the likelihood of putting the original parts back in is small. After all, the newest C3 is now 40 years old!

If you plan to use one of the Chinese reproduction motors, there is yet another major problem with them in addition to the things I identified in Part 1. These motors come with the drive gear and bearing plate attached. You have to remove the 3 bolts, then the bearing plate, then insert the motor, then get the bearing plate in place and install the 3 bolts. But the bearing plate does not fit properly, at least on the 3 brand new reproduction motors that I received. Keep in mind that with the regulator in place inside the door, you cannot see this misalignment. You assume that the 3 bolt holes line up, but they don’t! The result is that you spend half a day trying to get the bolts started without stripping the threads in the motor housing. Take a look at this.

Another common failure with the window mechanism involves the regulator assembly. There are 3 bolts that mount the regulator to the door panel, 2 in the upper part of the panel and 1 near the very bottom, close to the motor. This lower mount (I call it the third mount) frequently breaks away from the main regulator assembly rendering the window inoperative. It is so common that the Corvette vendors sell a repair kit designed to replace the broken mount. This is a good idea on paper, but in the real world it’s not so good. The bearing plate, which already does not fit very well, is further aggravated by the bolts that hold this repair kit in place.

If the third mount is broken off, you have to remove the entire regulator assembly in order to use the repair kit. Removing the regulator is some pretty involved surgery, plus the regulator rollers and sector gear are often very worn and sloppy. That means to do it right you have to rivet on new rollers. Replacement sector gears are available but can be a PITA to install. I strongly advise replacement of the entire regulator assembly, unless you have a compelling reason not to. They are available from the major Corvette restoration vendors and are actually made in the USA! The regulators also have a stainless steel sector gear. So, unless you enjoy tearing into the workings of the power window every few months, I advise a complete rebuild of the mechanism while everything is apart and you can see/correct mismatched parts.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
25,408 Posts
You got that right but zim sure has done a bang up job with all the documentation

1 - 3 of 3 Posts