Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm getting the new wheels. I think I need to do something with my calipers. New cross-drilled/ slotted rotors are not in the budget. I was thinking maybe painting the calipers. What color do you guys think would look good. I was thinking black, or maybe red. I could just clean them up and let them natural.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I like a real shiney polish.:cheers:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:stick: your correct it never ends.just the other day i looked in the mirror and said"my name is Todd-and i'm a modaholic"i did my calipers(racing red caliper paint)about a year ago and they still look great.i cleaned everything extremely well with mineral spirits.and then cleaned with simple green a couple times.painted with a ladies mascara brush.about 3 coats.then a coat of high temp clear for extra durability.clean once a week with simple green.thats it.i also painted the rotors silver up to the contact point.this is a bad picture,but you can see the calipers if you look close.i would do red if your car is red.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice idea about painting the rotors. I also thought about getting the old dremel out and polishing the calipers. I'm wondering if red would be too much on a red car?

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I had red calipers on my black LT4 car, and eventually painted them black again.

Though it's cool to make them stand out, they stood out too much and were distracting.

I left the ones on the GS alone... they are still black.:stick:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
i forgot to say that the brand of caliper paint is VHT,everyone thinks there powder-coated.Da Hawaiian Punch did his with the same paint.same result.as long as you clean it super good,it will turn out great.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didn't have to bake the calipers in the oven to cure the VHT paint did you? I would think just regular driving would cure the paint. I went to their website and it mentioned putting the caliper in the oven.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
HTRK-1 said:
You didn't have to bake the calipers in the oven to cure the VHT paint did you? I would think just regular driving would cure the paint. I went to their website and it mentioned putting the caliper in the oven.
The heat from your brakes should bake it on just fine! Brakes get scalding hot.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
thats true.thats why i used a brush(masscara-leaves no marks)in the first place,i didnt need to take the brakes off,so damn if was going too:stick: one tip,let the paint dry over night if possible.i know someone that drove a hour after painting and there was millions of black specks(brake dust) all over,had to re-do.:surprised

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I painted mine red and they look pretty cool. I just used engine hi temp paint and haven't had any problems.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I think black would look better. :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,527 Posts
Red. Go for it.:cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys aren't making the descision easy, I'm thinking gloss black. I will probably brush it on and let it dry overnight before I mount the new wheels. I will also paint the rotors (around the lug area) black. Man I can't wait till this weekend.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
and heres what you can do with the left over paint,thats what i did:buhbye:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd go for black too. I'm considering doing the same thing on mine this winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts