Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just finished my latest project on the 'vette and took it out on the road for the first time in nearly two months. Drove it at least 100 miles, definitely not babying it the whole time. Cruised out on two lane highways for most of it, T-tops off, stars shining, radio cranked... and I just kept smiling and saying to myself, I gotta be the luckiest guy on earth.

Picked up my brother 45 miles away in Omaha and brought him back here to Lincoln. At 1:15 am there wasn't much for traffic, so I gave it a hard launch on a straight strip and chirped 'em all the way through fourth. What a great feeling.

Anyway, I just hope that amist all the busted knuckles, cursing, and frustration of working on these cars you guys realize you're doing it 'cause you love it and you're fortunate to have the opportunity to persue your passion.

<<end of pointless post>>

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds like a nice little road trip. When I was reading it, I thought by the time I got to the end you would have thrown a rod or had some Vette related disaster:laughing: Seems like a lot of stories end that way!

Sounds like a great day and looks like the busted knuckles were worth it!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
just finished my latest project on the 'vette and took it out on the road for the first time in nearly two months. Drove it at least 100 miles, definitely not babying it the whole time. Cruised out on two lane highways for most of it, T-tops off, stars shining, radio cranked... and I just kept smiling and saying to myself, I gotta be the luckiest guy on earth.

Picked up my brother 45 miles away in Omaha and brought him back here to Lincoln. At 1:15 am there wasn't much for traffic, so I gave it a hard launch on a straight strip and chirped 'em all the way through fourth. What a great feeling.

Anyway, I just hope that amist all the busted knuckles, cursing, and frustration of working on these cars you guys realize you're doing it 'cause you love it and you're fortunate to have the opportunity to persue your passion.

Actually, I don't regard this as pointless - this is the kind of thing I LIKE to hear! You've done something worthwhile, then you were able to get out and enjoy the benefits of your labor!

Just like I don't understand the mentality of the garage queen types, I also don't understand the mentality of the Perpetual Project types. I respect their choices - but I wouldn't want to be in their shoes!

Glad you had a pleasant and uneventful day!

Steven

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

From my experience, vette ownership is full of highs and lows, but the highs far outweight the lows (in spite of anything I might write here). Your post reminds me of the night I brought my first 69 home, a 427/435 that had had a hard life. It had been sitting for at least 6 months that I knew of on a farm in Indiana, so on that first ride home it burned a lot a gas (cooked some water from the fuel tank too) and a bunch of oil. Loud as Hell due to holes in rusted headers. Broken tach cable, no idea of engine speed. But I had waited half a year for this particular car and driving home, it was great. Playing with the turn signals and headlights just to see the fiber-optics come on. The engine sound with 4.11 rear. The stick I had always wanted. What a lucky guy. As if to show me this was going to be an up-and-down relationship, three days later, I was putting new rings in it! (This is the part where you hear the sound of the needle screeching across the record.) Oh sh*t! Gotta learn fast. And learn I did...I learned that antifreeze and oil look like tea with lots of milk in it when you don't get a good seal between the intake and head. Luckily, I was thinking enough to check the dipstick after the engine was only running a minute.

Replaced the tach cable shortly after the ring work and the love affair was back on. I now had a working tach and realized I had only been taking this 11:1 big block to about 3500-4000 rpm. Holy BatSh*t Robin, what a surprise when I got serious with the gas pedal! Oohh I love this car. Kept it for almost 10 years, but the realities of a family got the best of me and I was Vette-less for 8 miserable years. Still miss that car.

Now I'm on my second BB 69. I've had it for 14 years and it's still showing me the love/hate thing. Man, I love my new aluminum oval port heads. Yes, this is what I wanted all along, more torque and still great top end power. I'm the luckiest guy on the planet. Cruising in my BB convertible Vette. What throttle response... what valve float, what...:WTF ...valve float?!? Yes, men, valve float. The springs have the guts, but the installed height was wrong, off by quite a bit, enough that the valves are floating between 5800 and 6000. Oh well, back to learning something I've never done before, just like putting piston rings in 30 plus years before. Changing valve springs, a whole separate story.

I keep telling myself that "working on it is half the fun". In truth, it is...it's just that sometimes I'd rather enjoy it by driving it. I do like making changes and it's a great thing to see positive results. A sense of accomplishment. I love my car, but maybe I need a spare. That's it, I'll get another C3... but this next one won't feel like it has to show me who the boss is all the time. Yeah, that's it! I need another one! I love these cars. :D

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
I was a little nervous reading this post thinking dam at the end hes going to say he blew his engine but good everything is allright someday i will also be in your shoes good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts

:D what a great Post....thanks Man, I needed that.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Allready said.....

Which is just that, it's NOT a pointless post, the post IS THE POINT.....

It's a hobby/passion like any other, guns, stereo, cars, boats, planes, houses, ham radio, antiques, Women....you name it....

I have been 'tinkering' for about 60 years now....ever since I stuck a screwdriver in the electric socket....serious olde tyme family story....been slightly nutz ever since....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Come this August I will be 2 years into my '69 Coupe that I have never driven. Sometimes that first ride seems like a distant fantasy. I can't wait to experience that, and hopefully my first experience will be as good as yours :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies guys. These cars really are a pleasure to work on and drive. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
Wow Jason, I needed that! :thumbsup:

I just dropped the top a few mins ago because of your post and hit the I for a few min. Had to get back in the groove!

Have a great day. Looking forward to seeing your car again at Vettes on the Rockies! :cheers:

And like has been said before, this is the point!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Amen brother!

·
Registered
738 Posts
These are the kinds of posts that help keep me stroking on my car.

Thanks

Last night I got most of my tranny crossmember done, got a couple more brackets to put on it and I'll be ready to set the body back on!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
These are the kinds of posts that help keep me stroking on my car.

Thanks

Last night I got most of my tranny crossmember done, got a couple more brackets to put on it and I'll be ready to set the body back on!
6' some day we need meet up at some vette thing, and share war stories....

maybe with 69myway, Chris....

shame about my wife though, she just NOT interested, encourages me to go have fun...but, well.....kinda take the wind out of socializing....

as a older batchelor, I sorta felt like it was another keg party, or something, after a while....

which is why I don't show up anymore....

still love to talk cars/hotrods/hobbies, though...

well duh....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thats a true American Iconic Story,
Blood , sweat and tears paying off with a great ending.
Makes me proud to be American....and a member of DC.
Thanks for Sharing...:thumbsup:
D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts