Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out for a quick drive to the store and WOW:thud:what a trip that was, as Im going down the road doing about 45 I hear something bounce of the car almost like someone had thrown a good size rock at it, so I slowed down and kinda looked around to see if maybe someone had but nope noone was around (I was out in the country more then a mile from any houses so I was kinda scratchin myhead) after a quick walk around of the car I headed on my way , so since noone was around I decided to open her up and :thud:thats when it happened I lost complete control of the car, it was everything I could do to keep it between the white lines and not into the tree lined ditch,it was pretty hairy first the big crack the loss of controll then the big bang fron the tire blowing, so after having my near death experience and getting the car stopped I got out to inspect the damage.

Luck was with me and the body was fine, as was the inner fender well, the culprit was a broken upper ball joint a brand new balljoint I might add , never seen one fail like this before, broke off just above the castle nut, damage was limited to the ball joint and the rim, and some light scarring on the a frame.

looks like I'm going to pull the car back into the shop for a bit for a rebuild and replace all the ball joints again with something of beter quality

what a day

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
:surprised yikes! what brand ball joint did you use? That's downright scary...

I hope Moog has maintained their quality so we have a good alternative to the trash that's out there. :thud:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:surprised yikes! what brand ball joint did you use? That's downright scary...

I hope Moog has maintained their quality so we have a good alternative to the trash that's out there. :thud:
AC delcos from Ebay, going to tear the other three off and switch to Moog

It was a down right scary ride I literaly went from my lane to the oncoming lane and fought it back into my lane in a matter of a couple seconds:thud: learned my lesson well from this one as it could have been bad real bad, I'm spending the extra bucks from now on so I can atleast know I put the best available components in, really got what I payed for with the cheaper ball joints

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
New or N.O.S. ball joints? Moogs are damn good. Unfortunately most new Delco/Delphi parts are made in Mexico which is a damn shame. Glad you and the Corvette are ok:thumbsup: Get her back on the road soon:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would always go for the '' original'' ei. ACDelco..........
Are you guys suggesting that this is not always the right thing to do? :rolleyes:
And is Moog in all cases a better brand?

How about U joints, which I need to buy soon?
Sorry for any thread drift...

Cor

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Here you are doing the right thing and replacing worn parts and then almost crash and burn because of it. Man, you are lucky that no one was coming the other way. Go buy a lottery ticket.

I have some new ball joint from VB&P to put in. You're making me think about opening up the boxes and seeing what they shipped.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Are you guys suggesting that this is not always the right thing to do? :rolleyes:

Cor
For front end parts I use Moog. U-Joints use solid Spicer, not the ones with the grease fittings. Shocks I use Bilstein. My suspension is VBP Performance Plus which came with everything and I doubt they are Moog. When I get around to it I'll change the front end parts to Moog. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Here you are doing the right thing and replacing worn parts and then almost crash and burn because of it. Man, you are lucky that no one was coming the other way. Go buy a lottery ticket.

I have some new ball joint from VB&P to put in. You're making me think about opening up the boxes and seeing what they shipped.

Be sure and look at those parts---- many of the vendors got a really crappy batch of parts from THEIR suppliers.
I replaced all my front end parts a couple years ago- and used all MOOG. Partially because I know the local distributor and partially because they're good stuff.

Ratt-- that's what clean living does for you--:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man I tell ya my guardian angel had to be working overtime yesterday:laughing: Im finally able to start laughing about it now just glad I came out of it ok, the stretch i was on isnt a well traveled back road so it could have been real bad, looks like the guy upstairs does like me :thumbsup:

And yep going with MOOG, have all new balljoints and another set of poly bushings ordered for the new set, should have her back on the road after this weekend, now I just have to find a set of wheels, the drivers front looks like it was turned on a lathe with a broken bit:thud:

Anyone know if 15x 6 rallys will fit on the front, have a chance to buy a complete set of chrome rallys with tires for $200 (15x6 fronts, 15x8 rears) thinking about going this route until Im ready to buy the wheels and tires I really want

Ive found a set of 15x7s 2 so if anyone knows what will work please feel free to chime in

and thanks for the input guys:cheers:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Cor
the AC delcos almost got me killed just an fyi, it may hve just been a fluke where I got one bad one with some type of stress damage but I'm not chancing it and I, pulling the other three, and to kinda give you an idea of how much road time was on the new ones I had put less then 500 miles on the car since the front end rebuild:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts