Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have now gotten to the point — as I noted yesterday — where if national defense, interstate highways, national parks, homeland security, and all other discretionary programs somehow became absolutely free, we’d still have a budget deficit. The White House Office of Management and Budget projects that in the current fiscal year (2011), mandatory spending alone will exceed all federal receipts. So even if we didn’t spend a single cent on discretionary programs, we still wouldn’t be able to balance our budget this year — let alone pay off any of the $14 trillion in debt that we have already accumulated.

Just an Olympiad ago, in 2007, the picture was quite different. In fact, in that year, federal revenues not only exceeded mandatory spending, but they exceeded it by more than $1 trillion ($1.117 trillion, to be more exact). The next year, 2008, during which the gap fell to a still-huge $914 billion, the Bush administration released a report issuing a rather dire warning (p. 25). The report said that, “if left unchanged, mandatory spending alone is projected to exceed total projected Government receipts in approximately 50 years.” That dire prediction has now come true — about 50 years earlier than projected.

Through the years, mandatory spending has steadily increased (with some fluctuation from year to year) in relation to revenues. Here is mandatory spending as a percentage of total federal receipts, by year, according to published White House figures:

1970: roughly 33 percent
2000: 47 percent
2005: 61 percent
2010: 90 percent
2011: 101 percent

The trajectory seems clear. Meanwhile, President Obama has not proposed entitlement reform. He has, however, proposed adding a massive new entitlement: Obamacare. At the same time, the baby boomers’ retirements are looming, which means higher entitlement expenditures and a smaller proportion of the population available to finance them. In light of all of this, what do the Obama administration’s projections for mandatory spending as a percentage of total federal receipts look like, going forward? Here they are:

2012: 81 percent
2013: 73 percent
2014: 7o percent
2015: 69 percent

Seriously?

These estimates are made possible because (among other things) the Obama administration is projecting a 21 percent increase in federal receipts from 2011 to 2012. Never mind that we haven’t seen an increase like that in 40 years. In fact, the largest increase in the past 40 years has been 16 percent.

How is the Obama administration’s track record in forecasting such increases? For 2010, it projected a 9 percent increase in receipts. The actual tally was 3 percent. For 2011, it projected a 19 percent increase in receipts. Just one year later (in this year's budget), it has now modified that projection to less than 1 percent (actually, to 0.5 percent). So that’s a swing from projecting the highest increase in the past 40 years, to projecting essentially no increase at all — in just 12 months.

To tackle our very real fiscal crisis, we need serious numbers and serious leadership, not just blind hope that things will (somehow) change. Now that we are at the point where our total receipts cannot even cover our mandatory spending, entitlement reform would seem to be an obvious necessity. Yet only one house of one branch of the federal government has thus far shown any real signs of being able to see the obvious.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...federal-revenues-fiscal-year-2011_554659.html

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I can just see these budget groups doing their thing. They figure out how much they want to spend, and then just keep plugging in numbers in the "increase in receipts" column until the numbers match. It's the only possible way they could come up with a budget that pretends to match receipts with spending. :crazy:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Ugh. We are in for it. Time for a second set of rules for all 'new hires.' And the Fair Tax.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
:laughing: How about just force the government to do like me and you? Live within our means.
Max our debt living a lifestyle beyond our means and file bankruptcy? It might come to that.

I never have and sure hope I never need to, but that seems to be the way of things.

I say that if you receive government assistance, you should be picking up litter in the parks and chopping ice off city sidewalks. Don't like it? Get a different job, eh?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Max our debt living a lifestyle beyond our means and file bankruptcy? It might come to that.

I never have and sure hope I never need to, but that seems to be the way of things.

I say that if you receive government assistance, you should be picking up litter in the parks and chopping ice off city sidewalks. Don't like it? Get a different job, eh?
:laughing: The only way out of this, is default.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
What I see is Government needs to be Downsized

These people in Government over the last decade have made too many Costly mistakes

They are hurting the Nation

And with Men and Women serving Abroad this is Truely inexcusable

In short they are very Bad Americans

We all want a Strong America in the future and Hope that they all leave office soon

The current system is Dysfunctional and Obsolete and I believe the track record Proves this

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
What I see is Government needs to be Downsized

These people in Government over the last decade have made too many Costly mistakes

They are hurting the Nation

And with Men and Women serving Abroad this is Truely inexcusable

In short they are very Bad Americans

We all want a Strong America in the future and Hope that they all leave office soon

The current system is Dysfunctional and Obsolete and I believe the track record Proves this
The only way to eliminate all human error is to eliminate all human involvement. But then we have the issue of a computer's program is only as good as its programmer, so computers also have human error.

So, in reality, your solution will not work. Not only in factual practice, but in subjectivity. You and I might not agree on what constitutes an error.

Further, I find it an unfair and cruel generalization to call them bad Americans. They stepped up, put forward their ideas and qualifications, and were given the position by someone or someones. Don't like it? Apply for a job, or run for office. But don't write off the whole lot because of a few errors.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further, I find it an unfair and cruel generalization to call them bad Americans. They stepped up, put forward their ideas and qualifications, and were given the position by someone or someones. Don't like it? Apply for a job, or run for office. But don't write off the whole lot because of a few errors.
:laughing: Here's my biggest problem with you middle-of-the-roadkill types. You think, "Gee, these are good people who made bad decisions". That's wrong, these are traitorous crooks for whom Gitmo would be too good. They have saddled us with debt we can't pay, trade agreements that work against us, regulations that work against us, etc, etc, etc.

His generalization was right on... just a little on the mild side.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The only way to eliminate all human error is to eliminate all human involvement. But then we have the issue of a computer's program is only as good as its programmer, so computers also have human error.

So, in reality, your solution will not work. Not only in factual practice, but in subjectivity. You and I might not agree on what constitutes an error.

Remember its not what you know its "Who you know in Government"

They have Bankrupted America and allowed the Chinese Communist in,

IT took many Bloody wars and Many generations of hard working people to build this country and now they are Destroying it, "Collectively" :nuts:

Those are Bad Americans in my Book

If your not Making America Stronger and more Prosperous then your a Bad American

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
:laughing: Here's my biggest problem with you middle-of-the-roadkill types. You think, "Gee, these are good people who made bad decisions". That's wrong, these are traitorous crooks for whom Gitmo would be too good. They have saddled us with debt we can't pay, trade agreements that work against us, regulations that work against us, etc, etc, etc.

His generalization was right on... just a little on the mild side.
That's wrong, these are traitorous crooks for whom Gitmo would be too good. They have saddled us with debt we can't pay, trade agreements that work against us, regulations that work against us, etc, etc, etc.
*Excellent*

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Remember its not what you know its "Who you know in Government"

They have Bankrupted America and allowed the Chinese Communist in,

IT took many Bloody wars and Many generations of hard working people to build this country and now they Destroying it, "Collectively" :nuts:

Those are Bad Americans in my Book

If your not Making America Stronger and more Prosperous then your a Bad American
I think the Bad Americans are the companies who move entire operations to China and can 10,000 workers all to make an extra nickel per share. A share that the top 5% own 95% of. They don't lower prices, just up their profits. Those ****ers have done more damage to this country than some pencil pusher who allocated a few million to a cheeseburger research lab somewhere. The real Bad Americans are the Madoffs, Heckers, Petters, Lays, and all the other white collar, ponzi scheming, retirement raiding, savings destroying bastards. They wreck lives by the hundreds of thousands for their posh lifestyle.

But keep on blaming the middle managers, if it makes you all feel better. I would add that it is those corporate assholes who own these managers and make them do this and who get favorable people elected. I know I have no senator in my nut pocket.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think the Bad Americans are the companies who move entire operations to China and can 10,000 workers all to make an extra nickel per share. A share that the top 5% own 95% of. They don't lower prices, just up their profits. Those ****ers have done more damage to this country than some pencil pusher who allocated a few million to a cheeseburger research lab somewhere. The real Bad Americans are the Madoffs, Heckers, Petters, Lays, and all the other white collar, ponzi scheming, retirement raiding, savings destroying bastards. They wreck lives by the hundreds of thousands for their posh lifestyle.

But keep on blaming the middle managers, if it makes you all feel better. I would add that it is those corporate assholes who own these managers and make them do this and who get favorable people elected. I know I have no senator in my nut pocket.
Making products they expect Americans to buy. I don't think they are bad Americans but I do think if a company does this it should pay an import tax that would offset the labor savings.
That would stop a lot of this.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

No I agree.

These people are traitors and have helped to build a very large Communist Military

Their Greed supersedes any patriotism if they possess any at all.

I see none here !

Recently I bought a set of brake pads for my vette

and during installation I noticed in very small letters "Made in China" Hell No !

Skrew you NAPA Autoparts !

So I took them back

Do you mean to tell me they couldn't find an American to make these Brake pads for $80 a pair ????

Like I'm going to put anything Chinese on my Vette

And I'm sure not going to send $80 to China

Also the 2 piece Baer rotors are made in China

They run $600 a pair ( I bought Brembo)

What ? Baer can't find some Americans to make their Rotors for $600 a pair ???

Of course they can But they are not American Enough !

and if they were made in America they probably wouldn't Crack like the current pieces do !

Thus, Baer is a bad Company in my Book

They join all the other corps currently sending Billions $$$$ abroad to a corrupt Chinese Government,

When the Youth of the country has to face this New powerful Government and its Military in the future

Do you think these corporations will accept any responsibility for their actions

F********* No they won't, they will pass the buck On and Blame it all on some Government Agency or other organization:nuts:

·
Registered
710 Posts

I don't disagree with you at all with this take. I will however, like to expound on you last 2 sentences:

It is our elected officals who draft and sign into law the trade agreements that are bad for domestic business. They are the ones that ignore the protective regulations that are designed to prevent corporations from taking advantage of the consumer/public. I hold them accountable above all.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
So lets get rid of Social security today. Lets get rid of medicair today. Those are the big money programs that we are talking about here. Are all you guys that are retired or about to retire, ready to give those things up. If not then look in the mirror for who to blame. We all bitch about the money the government spends when we think it is being spent on the other guy. But try cutting one single cent of government spending that you or I know we will get and we cry like babies.

You get the government you deserve. For way too long we have been voting like idiots for the tall guy or the nice guy or the guy who promises that he will make us all rich. We need to vote for the guy who tells us the truth....The guy who says " hey we're ****ed people" "the ride is over it's time to grow up". But of course that won't happen because he won't be the religious guy or he won't be the compasionate guy and he won't tell us what we want to hear....that it's allright, and always will be because I will take care of you. And that is why we get a government that thinks it can take care of us all instead of one that tells us to take care of ourselves.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
So lets get rid of Social security today. Lets get rid of medicair today. Those are the big money programs that we are talking about here. Are all you guys that are retired or about to retire, ready to give those things up. If not then look in the mirror for who to blame. We all bitch about the money the government spends when we think it is being spent on the other guy. But try cutting one single cent of government spending that you or I know we will get and we cry like babies.

You get the government you deserve. For way too long we have been voting like idiots for the tall guy or the nice guy or the guy who promises that he will make us all rich. We need to vote for the guy who tells us the truth....The guy who says " hey we're ****ed people" "the ride is over it's time to grow up". But of course that won't happen because he won't be the religious guy or he won't be the compasionate guy and he won't tell us what we want to hear....that it's allright, and always will be because I will take care of you. And that is why we get a government that thinks it can take care of us all instead of one that tells us to take care of ourselves.
problem with taking care of ourselve is that no one can be trusted with anything here lately it seems.. not just gov types but a lot of business types are lying about incomes and returns on investments also..

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
problem with taking care of ourselve is that no one can be trusted with anything here lately it seems.. not just gov types but a lot of business types are lying about incomes and returns on investments also..
The thieves have always been out there...you need to watch your own ass. If anything seems to good to be true...it usualy is. Guys who promise constant 7% or 8% return on your money are full of **** and probably won't return 2%.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You get the government you deserve. For way too long we have been voting like idiots for the tall guy or the nice guy or the guy who promises that he will make us all rich.
I disagree.. we are only offered 2 choices, and now days neither is the lesser of the evils. Think about it, with all the brilliant, successful people in this country, Barry Soetero & John McCain are the cream of the crop? :crazy: :laughing:

We get the government we are given.. bought and paid for long before any national election. The government hasn't been ours in many decades.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Making products they expect Americans to buy. I don't think they are bad Americans but I do think if a company does this it should pay an import tax that would offset the labor savings.
That would stop a lot of this.
Which is basically a transfer of wealth from all consumers to the workers who would have their compensation artificially propped above the market rate. So you are willing to pay double for TV's, computers, and just about everything else made abroad? There are consequences to import tariffs. It is simply a hopeless attempt to hang on to a past that will never be again. Sorry to slap you with reality, but there is no return to the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's. The answer is to find high-tech manufacturing that our workers can do better than anyone else. We still have that kind of manufacturing, but we need more of it. But we will never be competitive at manufacturing most consumer products again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts