Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new C6 with an auto tranny until i sat in a C6 today with a manuel transmission that i liked the feel alot.The clutch was so easy to push in it was effortless compared to my 03 Cobra and the shifting the gears was very precise and smooth which is the way i like it.So my question is for you guys with the 6 speed tranny after having your car for awhile does your clutch and tranny still feel smooth when shifting and is there any known problems either stock or mildly modded.Also should i upgrade my axels if i plan on modding my car because i have read where a few 06 c6's broke the passenger side axel quite frequently and i will track my car some so i want to be safe than sorry LOL.Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I don't really think about what it feels like when I shift. Its just an auto reflex (my eye sees the tach, foot stomps the clutch, hand moves the shifter, and foot releases the clutch) mostly concentrating on the amount I want to press the accelerator. When some one asks a question about the feel of a shifter or tranny I have to stop and really and think about it. If you have ever driven a 1948 Chevy or ford 2 ton trucks full of wheat(Kansas life as a kid) the C5 C6 Corvette 6 manual transmission is smooth as butter. But I have been driving one for the last 6 or 7 years. All functions pertaining to the operation of a motor vehicle require practice and repetition.. As for the axels I have put around 100k miles on C5's and C6's, on and off the track. I don't baby my cars, on the other hand I don't abuse them ether. I have had no problems the axels or rear end.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've actually been surprised about how "notchy" the 6 speed feels. It takes a little getting used to, especially if you are going to the track. The 2 to 3 shift takes some practice when you first get the car.

As far as the rear goes, I don't think you'll need to worry about it until you start putting down over 550hp and then only if you put full size slicks to the ground.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As far as the rear goes, I don't think you'll need to worry about it until you start putting down over 550hp and then only if you put full size slicks to the ground.
True except for if you start hopping the rear end.

I think the M6 tranny in my '07 shifts pretty slick.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The shifter does have a notch in the 2-3 shift, but overall the shifter isn't bad. If you want a really slick shifter, B&M has one.

As for the rear end, if you put down over 550hp I would be a little worried, but wheel hop can kill a stock car.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I use the B&M shifter. I do not drag race but I am putting down over 500 RWHP. I had hop with the OEM shocks and pounded the right rear until it started leaking. I upgraded to Konis and that virtually eliminated wheel hop except for cold weather.

:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts