Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published March 15, 2011 Associated Press
Some Maricopa County workers are burned up about a new health-plan requiring them to submit saliva for nicotine analysis.

The Arizona Republic reports the test is intended to reveal whether those being insured are smokers. Employees who said no are penalized with higher medical-insurance premiums, while those testing negative for tobacco use are spared a premium that is $480 higher per year.

Some county workers say they cannot afford to refuse the test. Others say they fear the medical information obtained from the exams will be used against them or shared with others.

A county spokeswoman said officials do not keep data on how much tobacco users cost to insure compared with non-tobacco users.

Information sent to county workers says the test results will be shared with the county's employee-benefits division but will be kept confidential by staff trained in patient confidentiality.

Let Freedom Ring:down:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Published March 15, 2011 Associated Press
Some Maricopa County workers are burned up about a new health-plan requiring them to submit saliva for nicotine analysis.

The Arizona Republic reports the test is intended to reveal whether those being insured are smokers. Employees who said no are penalized with higher medical-insurance premiums, while those testing negative for tobacco use are spared a premium that is $480 higher per year.

Some county workers say they cannot afford to refuse the test. Others say they fear the medical information obtained from the exams will be used against them or shared with others.

A county spokeswoman said officials do not keep data on how much tobacco users cost to insure compared with non-tobacco users.

Information sent to county workers says the test results will be shared with the county's employee-benefits division but will be kept confidential by staff trained in patient confidentiality.

Let Freedom Ring:down:
Why the:down: ?? It's about freedom and consequences.. Isn't the lack of consequences what everyone in here is complaining about lately? You lie, you get caught, you pay! Maybe they shouldn't smoke?? Not saying you can't-- rather that since it's your choice, don't force me to pay your medical bills after the fact. I for one applaud the action-- as a healthy not overweight, non smoking low blood pressure having person, I am tired of my premiums going up for the fat unhealthy American! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
I wonder if they are testing for alcohol and cholesterol ?

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I wonder if they are testing for alcohol and cholesterol ?
Some companies make you get an annual physical which, in part, determines your insurance rates. I used to. It granted me full coverage medical with no copay or deductible for $100/month. It also got me $450k life insurance for $25/month.

I'd do it if it was offerred.

Smokers just want the same coverage for poor bahavior. We rate speeders higher for car insurance. So this makes welcome sense on many levels.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why the:down: ?? It's about freedom and consequences.. Isn't the lack of consequences what everyone in here is complaining about lately? You lie, you get caught, you pay! Maybe they shouldn't smoke?? Not saying you can't-- rather that since it's your choice, don't force me to pay your medical bills after the fact. I for one applaud the action-- as a healthy not overweight, non smoking low blood pressure having person, I am tired of my premiums going up for the fat unhealthy American! :thumbsup:
Freedom would be if you had a choice to get your own insurance and not forcing a company to absorb the cost of Health Insurance across the board.

Loss of freedom is being forced to provide a Saliva sample for testing and being asked to trust they are only testing for Nicotine.

Your medical records should be private as should your choice of insurance coverage.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Some companies make you get an annual physical which, in part, determines your insurance rates. I used to. It granted me full coverage medical with no copay or deductible for $100/month. It also got me $450k life insurance for $25/month.

I'd do it if it was offerred.

Smokers just want the same coverage for poor bahavior. We rate speeders higher for car insurance. So this makes welcome sense on many levels.
Dude... you make and drink your own fooking liquor. Don't go pointing your little stubs at others... without first pointing them at yourself. There is always someone that can point at you and say "look! at what he is doing to his body. That was the point of my statement... as intellectually irretrievable as it seemingly was, to you.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Dude... you make and drink your own fooking liquor. Don't go pointing your little stubs at others... without first pointing them at yourself. There is always someone that can point at you and say "look! at what he is doing to his body. That was the point of my statement... as intellectually irretrievable as it seemingly was, to you.
I have not had a glass of wine since X-mas. I still have 6 beers from the last case I bought in October. I make mixed drinks so rarely, that the ice in my trays sublimate before I use them.

Some think I should drink more so I calm the hell down! :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
If we are to believe what was declared by many on this board some time ago: You don't have a right to healthcare insurance.

Therefore, if you don't want your cheek swabbed, decline and get your insurance elsewhere or go without.

But if you want my (for example) company to pitch in for you or carry you on my policy, you play by my rules. Don't like it? There is the door. 50 people itching to take your job.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have not had a glass of wine since X-mas. I still have 6 beers from the last case I bought in October. I make mixed drinks so rarely, that the ice in my trays sublimate before I use them.

Some think I should drink more so I calm the hell down! :laughing:
Vampy, you're abusing your alcohol. Drink up lad!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
If we are to believe what was declared by many on this board some time ago: You don't have a right to healthcare insurance.

Therefore, if you don't want your cheek swabbed, decline and get your insurance elsewhere or go without.

But if you want my (for example) company to pitch in for you or carry you on my policy, you play by my rules. Don't like it? There is the door. 50 people itching to take your job.
You should have put it this way in the beginning. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Freedom would be if you had a choice to get your own insurance and not forcing a company to absorb the cost of Health Insurance across the board.

Loss of freedom is being forced to provide a Saliva sample for testing and being asked to trust they are only testing for Nicotine.

Your medical records should be private as should your choice of insurance coverage.
Don't understand your first comment.
Second one is easy-- either you pay full price or you test out to a lower level.
and if you are scared they are doing something else with it-- what do you have to be afraid of?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts