Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this little article on Auto Car . com. Not much info but interesting none the less: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=256918

Here's the ARTICLE:

General Motors will put an all-new Chevrolet Corvette into production in 2013 — and the firm’s top US executive says it will be “completely different” from the current C6, fuelling rumours that it might be mid-engined.

Senior executives acknowledge that the current sixth-gen model falls short of the global appeal of rival sports cars from the likes of Ferrari and Porsche.

The goal is to make the new Corvette a truly global competitor when production starts up in 2013, according to Mark Reuss, GM’s North America president, although exact details are being closely guarded.

Full story - Corvette returns to the UK

Adopting a mid-engined layout, rather than the long-running front-engined design, is a strong possibility, although it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Even so, sources say this wouldn’t be entirely out of line, because the Corvette has often served as a technological testbed for the firm.

Chevrolet designers could also revive the split-window styling featured on the 1963 Corvette, today one of the most collectable versions of the two-seater.

One possibility for the C7, sources hint, will be the use of a downsized powertrain. Rather than the current big V8s — which develop as much as 638bhp in the top-line ZR1 model — GM is reportedly looking at more advanced V6 alternatives.

Read more on the recent Corvette revisions

Expect the interior to be much more modern in design than the current take, which GM global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment”.

The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world class”.

GM is investing $131 million (£80 million) in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the ’Vette to prepare for the C7 launch.

Paul Eisenstein

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Came across this little article on Auto Car . com. Not much info but interesting none the less: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=256918

Here's the ARTICLE:

General Motors will put an all-new Chevrolet Corvette into production in 2013 — and the firm’s top US executive says it will be “completely different” from the current C6, fuelling rumours that it might be mid-engined.

Senior executives acknowledge that the current sixth-gen model falls short of the global appeal of rival sports cars from the likes of Ferrari and Porsche.

The goal is to make the new Corvette a truly global competitor when production starts up in 2013, according to Mark Reuss, GM’s North America president, although exact details are being closely guarded.

Adopting a mid-engined layout, rather than the long-running front-engined design, is a strong possibility, although it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Even so, sources say this wouldn’t be entirely out of line, because the Corvette has often served as a technological testbed for the firm.

Chevrolet designers could also revive the split-window styling featured on the 1963 Corvette, today one of the most collectable versions of the two-seater.

One possibility for the C7, sources hint, will be the use of a downsized powertrain. Rather than the current big V8s — which develop as much as 638bhp in the top-line ZR1 model — GM is reportedly looking at more advanced V6 alternatives.

Expect the interior to be much more modern in design than the current take, which GM global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment”.

The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world class”.

GM is investing $131 million (£80 million) in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the ’Vette to prepare for the C7 launch.

Paul Eisenstein
Why do I read this as

Current Corvette fans, thank you for your patronage, but f--k you we want sales in Europe:nuts:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do I read this as

Current Corvette fans, thank you for your patronage, but f--k you we want sales in Europe:nuts:

I'm not an American, but I totally get the Corvette mystique. Non-Americans love the Vette BECAUSE it's so American. If it gets "Europeanised" (less Gutsy, more civilized, more EXPENSIVE!), well Lets just say I'll be cruising the older Gen sections of this site.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
I saw this article yesterday, but I chose not to reference it because so much of it consists of guesses and old, dead rumors.

The C7 will NOT have a V6 of any kind. It WILL have an all new Gen V V8. I think the GEN V will be marketed something along the line of "More from less via technology." Expect the Gen V to weigh less, have more tech and make a tad more power than comparable Gen IVs. Add a lighter Vette, you get higher MPG too.

The only way the C7 will have a rear mid engine is if GM decides offer a second Corvette chassis by changing the ZR1 into a Ferrari fighter and produce it in BG where the XLR was formerly produced. Possible, but it is far more likely GM has other uses for that space. Clearly they have 131million goals for that space. Why even consider this? The physics of a front mid engine layout can not match traction capabilities of a rear mid engine. However, dialing in neutral handling is a huge challenge on the rear mid.

The C7 will have improved interior - duh, no kidding.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
Why do I read this as

No, you should read this as an article writen by a writer working for an English car rag with Euro bias and far, far removed from the people who are actually working on the C7 every day. In other words, this article has far fewer facts in it than similar articles from Motor Trend and C&D which we discredit daily around here.

Would GM like to sell more Vettes globally? Hell yeah. Poppa John wants to sell more food globally too. Doesn't mean he's going to start selling hamburgers in stead of pizza because he can sell 100 more in Europe.

The most significant engeering compromize that will be made on the C7 (actually wanted on the C6) will be "designed in" engineering features enabling right hand drive. Bet that BG makes some Right hand drive C7s every year going forward. Lutz had voiced this need years ago. You can bet it was considered in the C7 design.

Why? Great Britain, Austrailia, Singapore, Milaysia, India, New Zealand, Bahamas, Japan, Hong Kong (sometimes referred to as the Ferrari capital of the world) and many others. 74 countries in all. Some, like Austrailia, forbid the use of a lefthand drive car on a public road.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw this article yesterday, but I chose not to reference it because so much of it consists of guesses and old, dead rumors.
That's true Longtimer, especially when one thinks that the Corvette will be offered with a V6!!! But i think it's interesting that Reuss used the phase "completely different" . Is that just spin, or is the car going to be radically different? And not an evolution as most of us here suspect. That wasn't the UK rag hypothesizing, that was a quote from a GM boss! Plus all this talk about the need for a smaller Vette. Are they gonna be offering a V8 Sky/Solstice?

I'd love to know along what lines they're thinking. In any case, we'll be seeing mules and pre-production vehicles pretty soon.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
That's true Longtimer, especially when one thinks that the Corvette will be offered with a V6!!! But i think it's interesting that Reuss used the phase "completely different" . Is that just spin, or is the car going to be radically different? And not an evolution as most of us here suspect. That wasn't the UK rag hypothesizing, that was a quote from a GM boss! Plus all this talk about the need for a smaller Vette. Are they gonna be offering a V8 Sky/Solstice?

I'd love to know along what lines they're thinking. In any case, we'll be seeing mules and pre-production vehicles pretty soon.

:cheers:
:agree: It is the phrase "completely different" that has me riled up. Longtimer everything you list(sans the mid engine ZR1) are evolutions I expect. And most are needed especially an export right hand drive. But when the boss says "completely different" it implies that what is is wrong and with out merit when the current vette is a minimum of 85% as good as any Ferrari in any category at this point.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
This is my third internet-new-gen vette (though not a lot was out there in most of the C5 development), so I don't place much value in any information without pics and a reasonable explanation as to the source ... and vagaries are just that vagaries, not facts.

The C4 was “completely different” from the C3 (except for the first year C4 engine).

The C5 was “completely different” from the C4.

The C6 ... well it was completely refined from the C5 :) Because of this refinement, the press blasted it and even labeled it a C5.1

All of these retained the front mid engine layout while being “completely different” from their predecessors.

In my opinion, all of GM management wants to impress upon all of us, that the C7 will be more of an escalation than an evolution. This of course, carries potential risks as well as potential rewards.

Will the styling be too radical for some?
Will the "completely different" chassis and drivetrain bring “completely different” quality challenges that can plague a first year car? The C5 was the first "computer designed" vette and did not suffer as many first year bugaboos as the C2, the C3 or the C4. I'm not aware of any problems associated with the 2005 C6 that were directly attributable to the fact that the C6 was a new gen. Even the roof adhesion problem was clearly a supplier issue. However, neither the Pilsbury Doughboy steering wheel design, nor the front license plate mount design was accepted well by most of us.

If the trend continues, we should expect a pretty good quality first year C7 that is “completely different”, but true to Corvette heritage and respectful to wants of the Corvette demographic market.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
But when the boss says "completely different" it implies that what is is wrong and with out merit
I have a “completely different” interpretation of his comments. As I indicated before, I think he is simply emphasizing that the C7 will build on the strengths of the C6 and engineer out the weaknesses of the C6.

Please do not tell me that you think there is no room for any improvements in our C6s.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I think GM is smart enought to realize where it's profits are and it aint overseas. I suppect that they have a car built and is going threw testing as we speak somewhere. I don't think we'll see anything as radical as mid engine. But who knows for sure,only GM KNOWS AND THEY AIN'T TELLING.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
I think GM is smart enought to realize where it's profits are and it aint overseas. I suppect that they have a car built and is going threw testing as we speak somewhere. I don't think we'll see anything as radical as mid engine. But who knows for sure,only GM KNOWS AND THEY AIN'T TELLING.
You can bet that there are mules out on the LutzRing right now being tested. It might be next winter before they start running the mules on public roads for cold temp testing.

But, you never know, it might not be too long before someone notices that the C6 in that restaurant parking lot looks different for some reason. Maybe the front and rear tracks are an inch or so narrower? Maybe the wheelbase is a couple inches shorter, making the panels look a bit funny? Maybe its an inch lower? Someone with a sharp eye will post a pic before the end of 2011 of a C7 mule. Betcha.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Well the "Sideswipe" or C7 concept (whatever they call it) is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! If they go with that funky new rear end, then I would call it completely different. If it is it, or close to it...it's gonna have to "grow" on alot of people. I personally like it except for that rear...not sure about that yet.:lookinup:

I don't see them doing a mid-engine Vette or a V6 for that matter, just don't see it.:lookinup: Who knows though, I guess anything is possible at this point.:huh:

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
If they go with that funky new rear end, then I would call it completely different. If it is it, or close to it...it's gonna have to "grow" on alot of people. I personally like it except for that rear...not sure about that yet.:lookinup:
Oooo. Well, of all the design cues on the Sideswipe, I think the rear, or something along that line, has the best chance of seeing production. Why? Because it should test well in the wind tunnel without presenting a mass of flat surface area that is so dominent out back in the C5 or even the C6. Ferrari has also experimented recently with a multiplane, or multi level if you prefer, rear design that maintains a good coefficient of drag, while avoiding a "me too" mass out back.

Like most concepts, the Sideswipe takes this idea for the rear design to an extreme that could be toned down and massaged a bit to more dominently show the 4 round taillights for production.

The Sideswipe front has a 0% chance of making it into production for the oposite reasons. I would guess that the cd of the Sideswipe front end is somewhere near that of a 70's era party van with a mural on the side.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
:smack

Quote of the day!
Ok, Dan. You know I said the coefficient of drag of the Sideswipe is near that of a 70's van. You trying to get GM to send two big guys to come knocking on my front door?

:)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, Dan. You know I said the coefficient of drag of the Sideswipe is near that of a 70's van. You trying to get GM to send two big guys to come knocking on my front door?

:)
Oh Geeze! I remember when that happened. What was it... 6 or 7 years ago now?

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
Let's see...the C6 was first shown at the Detroit auto show in January 2004. I think got the advertising pics mistakes in Frisco in late December 03, which also pissed off GM. I think the incident involving the "GM Thugs" was in the early fall or late summer of 2003. That would be about eight years ago. Check me Dan.

For you newbes:
As we got closer to the release of the C6, one DC member posted some C6 information that was too accurate for his own good. GM literally sent a couple of big guys knocking on his front door. They were not only big guys, they were apparently lawyers or could pass as lawyers. They threatened legal action if he didn't divulge his source of information. GM was out to fire an insider leaking info. The sad thing is that today I don't recall the bit of information he posted, but it sure turned his life upside down for awhile.

True story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not To Happen

Here's the ARTICLE:

Paul Eisenstein

Regarding the changes in the Corvette:

I don't think this is going to happen. The 'vette will continue its front engine/rwd design. It was never meant to compete with Ferrari's, but is an all American sports car. I think it will also be a V-8.

It goes without saying that there will be positive improvements in all areas.

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
Regarding the changes in the Corvette:

I don't think this is going to happen. The 'vette will continue its front engine/rwd design. It was never meant to compete with Ferrari's, but is an all American sports car. I think it will also be a V-8.

It goes without saying that there will be positive improvements in all areas.
YEP! :agree:

"Completely Different" My son's first reaction,"Oh, so it will be a turbine powered speeder, like in Star Wars." He does have unfortunate tendencies toward being a smartass at times.

Regardless, his point is valid. One man's "Completely Different" is another man's "refinement."

·
Registered
710 Posts
He does have unfortunate tendencies toward being a smartass at times.

Regardless, his point is valid. One man's "Completely Different" is another man's "refinement."
1. I agree 100% with your point about the discrepency regarding interpretation of language.

2. I'm sory you feel your son's propencity towards sarcasm as unfortunate.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts