Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
McDonald's Corp. has warned federal regulators that it could drop its health insurance plan for nearly 30,000 hourly restaurant workers unless regulators waive a new requirement of the U.S. health overhaul.

The move is one of the clearest indications that new rules may disrupt workers' health plans as the law ripples through the real world.

Trade groups representing restaurants and retailers say low-wage employers might halt their coverage if the government doesn't loosen a requirement for "mini-med" plans, which offer limited benefits to some 1.4 million Americans.

The requirement concerns the percentage of premiums that must be spent on benefits.

While many restaurants don't offer health coverage, McDonald's provides mini-med plans for workers at 10,500 U.S. locations, most of them franchised. A single worker can pay $14 a week for a plan that caps annual benefits at $2,000, or about $32 a week to get coverage up to $10,000 a year.

Long -but very informational read.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703431604575522413101063070.html

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Obamacare needs to be repealed, but it has to be replaced with something sensible. I actually liked the Obamacare from the campaign.. :laughing: Too bad he let Harry & Nancy totally screw it up.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Obamacare needs to be repealed, but it has to be replaced with something sensible. I actually liked the Obamacare from the campaign.. :laughing: Too bad he let Harry & Nancy totally screw it up.
Personally, I believe Obamacare is doing its intended job. To force America into a single payer system, by making it finacially untennable for campanies to provide health insurance

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Our company's benefits renewal is coming up in a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to see how bad things will be for us.

If only I was a school teacher, then I could threaten to strike to get out of paying anything towards my health coverage.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Personally, I believe Obamacare is doing its intended job. To force America into a single payer system, by making it finacially untennable for campanies to provide health insurance
Exactly. :agree:

This issue with McDonalds is a prime example.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
It fun to watch how the less informed are just starting to notice how much it is going to cost for every person to have affordable heathcare but they will still vote for the Dems just to keep their gravey train on the tracks:smack

Anybody who paid attention this was the master plan from Barry and company from the get go, over time make private insurace out of reach and hit people over the head with the fed's run plan Mcdonald's will just be the first in the spot light on this and after a while it will become accepted thats what is really scary

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Leave it to the government to screw up a wet dream.

I'd love to see ObamaCare repealed or at least defunded into obscurity and replaced by something that actually would help in health care COSTS.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

I'd love to see ObamaCare repealed or at least defunded into obscurity and replaced by something that actually would help in health care COSTS.
:agree: My first gut/sarcastic reaction to this story was that it would help if the McDonald's employees stopped eating their own food. ;)

However, as a current corporate downsized Cobra insurance payer, there has to be a better way! Why can't there be an insurance option that lets you pay cash for the routine stuff and non-insurance paid doctors costs and then have the insurance pool cover the true diseases and medical emergencies. Does it really cost over $2000 for a broken arm?

I strained some ligaments in my ankle a few years ago and the total bill turned over to my insurance was over $5K?! That included one emergency room visit, X-rays, a removable air cast and 3 follow up doctors appointments. :WTF

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

I believe the proper saying for Congress is:

They could mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
That will only result in a crash of the health care system in this country.

You ready for another 10 million people laid off?

Your house will be worth 50 bucks by then....:thumbsup::rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Our company's benefits renewal is coming up in a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to see how bad things will be for us.

If only I was a school teacher, then I could threaten to strike to get out of paying anything towards my health coverage.
"Double your pleasure, Double mint education Bailouts":laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:agree: My first gut/sarcastic reaction to this story was that it would help if the McDonald's employees stopped eating their own food. ;)

However, as a current corporate downsized Cobra insurance payer, there has to be a better way! Why can't there be an insurance option that lets you pay cash for the routine stuff and non-insurance paid doctors costs and then have the insurance pool cover the true diseases and medical emergencies. Does it really cost over $2000 for a broken arm?

I strained some ligaments in my ankle a few years ago and the total bill turned over to my insurance was over $5K?! That included one emergency room visit, X-rays, a removable air cast and 3 follow up doctors appointments. :WTF
Sounds reasonable to me.
However, what I think is going on, and I used to feel this way at one time is this... Health care, even routine office visits for a sinus infection cna cost $100-$150, then the pills another $50-$100. Most people don't want to pay even that amount. We've been coddled by the 'system' for so long and for so much people expect to be able to go to the dr. for any little thing, pay a $15-$25 copay, and let the health insurance they have from thier job pick up the rest of the bill.

Now you have all the people who feel this way thinking that ObamaCare will not only pay for their health care, it will also pay for their co-pays!

One more thing. Nobody has been able to explain to me how this benefits those that actually need free health care. The destitute, the unemployed, the illegal migrant worker...

How do these people get thier free health care now?

I know someone that can't work, and has no real job. She does home services for disabled elderly people. She gets paid in cash, much like a babysitter does. THis is all she can do, and she can't afford to buy a health care plan, nor can she afford to pay the fine, and there is no income to attach to fine either.

I believe there are millions in similar circumstances, and this current plan is just a sham to attach more power to those of us that have been able to work.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
One more thing. Nobody has been able to explain to me how this benefits those that actually need free health care. The destitute, the unemployed, the illegal migrant worker...

How do these people get thier free health care now?

I know someone that can't work, and has no real job. She does home services for disabled elderly people. She gets paid in cash, much like a babysitter does. THis is all she can do, and she can't afford to buy a health care plan, nor can she afford to pay the fine, and there is no income to attach to fine either.

I believe there are millions in similar circumstances, and this current plan is just a sham to attach more power to those of us that have been able to work.
My understanding is that the poor/low income/unemployed will be given a voucher/credit system toward purchasing their own individual plan. The Fed will supply the funds for these people if they qualify.

Instead of Hospitals/doctors charging you and I inflated prices to cover these unpaid services, the insurance companies will pay the bills the same they would for you and I. You and I will then pay higher taxes to the Fed so the Fed can give more money to the needy so they can afford their own health plan. This roles out in 2 or 3 years I believe. We in effect shuffle the deck and the Fed controls more lives. :nuts:

It's all a scam to take more control. Nothing about Obamacare lowers the cost of healthcare or the cost of health insurance.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts

Please explain your statement. :huh:

How will causing companies/employers not to provide health insurance cause the crash of the health care system? :huh:

You do realize that if Employers cannot/will not provide health insurance and individuals cannot afford individual coverage, the Fed Gov will step in and force single pay gov provided insurance???? Don't you? Do you not see the ultimate goal here? :huh:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

You are absolutely right, and that is why no one that I voted for in 2008, voted for Obamacare.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
My understanding is that the poor/low income/unemployed will be given a voucher/credit system toward purchasing their own individual plan...
Thank you sir! Although I'm not sure if I feel better or not...
I'll check back in 2 or 3 years. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Thank you sir! Although I'm not sure if I feel better or not...
I'll check back in 2 or 3 years. :thumbsup:
My explanation is oversimplified, but it gives you the basic idea. All of this "improvement" to our health care system seems to kick in in 2013-2015....amazingly after 2012 :lookinup: I wonder why? :huh:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
You are absolutely right, and that is why no one that I voted for in 2008, voted for Obamacare.

:crazy:
The entire health care system in the country will crash even without Obamacare.

You cant pass 12k a year in hc expenses onto the middle class over such a short period.

And the middle class cannot absorb 10 to 30 percent increases per year

And small and large businesses cannot absorb 10 to 30 percent increases per year.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
:crazy:
The entire health care system in the country will crash even without Obamacare.

You cant pass 12k a year in hc expenses onto the middle class over such a short period.

And the middle class cannot absorb 10 to 30 percent increases per year

And small and large businesses cannot absorb 10 to 30 percent increases per year.
And the only solution, is to outlaw health insurance. Sounds crazy, I know, but outlawing health insurance, capping malpractice judgments and stiffening penalties for gross negligence is the way to fix it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts