Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with these headers, found their website, they really look like their well made, also ceramic coated inside and out. Couldn't find a price on their website. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
kramco said:
Anyone have any experience with these headers, found their website, they really look like their well made, also ceramic coated inside and out. Couldn't find a price on their website. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Buy them. We are all anxious to see a dyno on Melrose Headers. They are part of the Random Technology header back system sold by RT.

·
Registered
192 Posts
$1600 for a mild steel header? Sounds pretty steep, should be able to buy stainless headers for less money. If you live in a wet climate the stainless headers will last much longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told mild steel ceramic coated headers don"t get as hot or expand and contract like stainless steel does. That means less heat in the engine bay which is a good thing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
kramco said:
I was told mild steel ceramic coated headers don"t get as hot or expand and contract like stainless steel does. That means less heat in the engine bay which is a good thing.
Stainless does expand and contract more, but I haven't heard of it being a problem. As far as the heat, Stainless has a lower conductivity than mild steel. The mild steel with the coating will put about the same amount of heat into the engine compartment as the Stainless.

The biggest hit on the mild steel is that even with the coating they will rust after a few moist years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
kramco said:
That is correct, that is why they jet hot coated the headers, (which will protect them better than SS, and keep them much cooler) and the X pipe and cats are made of SS.

·
Registered
192 Posts
vertc5 said:
That is correct, that is why they jet hot coated the headers, (which will protect them better than SS, and keep them much cooler) and the X pipe and cats are made of SS.
I have to disagree with this statement. Jet Hot coating does not stay around forever, your headers will rust in a moist environment. Do a search at LS1Tech.com and you'll see quite a few complaints. What people really don't understand is that 300 series Stainless has half the thermal conductivity of mild steel. The Jet Hot coating has very low conductivity, but it's not very thick. The Jet Hot gets mild steel almost as good as Stainless as far as thermal conductivity.

The only real advantage of Jet Hot over Stainless is that it's very pretty. Bling factor is up there. But as far as the best headers, they are all made out of 300 series Stainless steel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They look great yes, but there main purpose is to reduce temp. I have seen them test headers with and with out jet hot coating with those high tech thermometers and they reduced the temp several hundred degrees in some cases, the average drop in temp in the engine compartment was 50 degrees, thats alot. I would not buy any headers that were not jet hot coated, thats just my view.

·
Registered
192 Posts
vertc5 said:
They look great yes, but there main purpose is to reduce temp. I have seen them test headers with and with out jet hot coating with those high tech thermometers and they reduced the temp several hundred degrees in some cases, the average drop in temp in the engine compartment was 50 degrees, thats alot. I would not buy any headers that were not jet hot coated, thats just my view.

Yes, Jet Hot does reduce temps and that is needed on carbon steel headers. However, Stainless steel already is a very poor conductor of heat, therefore, they run just as cool or cooler than Jet Hot coated mild steel headers.

You want the best of both worlds, get some 300 Stainless headers and have them Jet Hot coated. It's a little bit of overkill, but they sure would be pretty. Plus, if the Jet Hot flakes, the headers won't rust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts