Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a set of Melrose Header for my 86 Vett they went on great.
Now I been looking for a bolt on type of y pipe so far no luck.

Will a Hooker header Y pipe fit if I cut off the 3 bolt flange and put a band clamp to the Melrose to the hooker Y pipe.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
That is something you would have to just buy and try, no way of knowing if it is the same. I would think no but I don't know. When I had my Melrose on my L-98 with the front pipes that came in the kit it fit great but when I did my LS swap I bought Melrose headers again and the front pipes that came with the system wouldn't work with the new headers and my existing system. I had to have two new front pipes made.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the Plan I purchased a set of reducers to slip on to the headers cut the stock exhaust pipe slip them together bolt on to the car and drive it to the muffler shop to get done right.

3 inch tubing from the headers back to a new 3 way cat to my cat back Magna Flow LT1 mufflers I just hope this will give the car the meaner sound I been looking for the Magna Flows are just loud enough for my taste for a vett.

If is not what I looking for either have the muffler shop build me a cat back or Corsa System but I still think there way over priced.

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is the Plan I purchased a set of reducers to slip on to the headers cut the stock exhaust pipe slip them together bolt on to the car and drive it to the muffler shop to get done right.

3 inch tubing from the headers back to a new 3 way cat to my cat back Magna Flow LT1 mufflers I just hope this will give the car the meaner sound I been looking for the Magna Flows are just loud enough for my taste for a vett.

If is not what I looking for either have the muffler shop build me a cat back or Corsa System but I still think there way over priced.
If you are dealing with a muffler shop, then they should have a pipe bender and a qualified welder... no need to buy any name brand pieces.... just tell them what you want, and they will cut to fit. Worked for me. I was in and out for $500, full dual exhaust from the down pipes back to the mufflers, including a pair of hi-flo cats. :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The muffler shop I taking to is know for this area to do custom hi pre stuff they are 50 miles away from me thats why I trying to temp fit the stock y pipe on to the car so I can drive it down there.

I was afraid the car going up in flames driving that far with uncorked headers at 70 MPH when the hot exaust blowing against the fiberglass trans tunnle and the trans.

If you are dealing with a muffler shop, then they should have a pipe bender and a qualified welder... no need to buy any name brand pieces.... just tell them what you want, and they will cut to fit. Worked for me. I was in and out for $500, full dual exhaust from the down pipes back to the mufflers, including a pair of hi-flo cats. :D

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
The muffler shop I taking to is know for this area to do custom hi pre stuff they are 50 miles away from me thats why I trying to temp fit the stock y pipe on to the car so I can drive it down there.

I was afraid the car going up in flames driving that far with uncorked headers at 70 MPH when the hot exaust blowing against the fiberglass trans tunnle and the trans.
In that case just put turndowns on it and enjoy the music of open headers for 50 miles.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
8,544 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one more in an ENDLESS list of good reasons to OWN a decent welder, in your tool list

QUOTE]

I looked at welders before but If I going to fork out the money for a welder I want a TIG welder that can weld Aluminum but they are not cheep.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cut up the stock Y pipe tryed to get to hook up to the new headers to drive down to the muffler shop they did not fit.

So I cut the Y pipe up made a set of turn down good enough to get down to the muffler shop.

I just hope I dont get stopped driving to the muffler shop LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts