Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possible collector car here?

----------------------

From: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2003/january/20030130_dai_marauder.xml

Marauder Fails to Flex Muscle Car Buyers
January 30, 2003

The Mercury Marauder, an attempt to appeal to nostalgic muscle car buyers, has not carried its weight, Reuters reported.

After setting an annual target of 18,000 vehicles, Mercury sold just 2,910 of the rear-wheel-drive sedans between July and December of 2002.
Mercury is now offering a $3,000 rebate or zero-percent financing on the Marauder, the same incentives it offers for the aging Mercury Grand Marquis sedan it is based on, the story said.

Mercury executives deny that the car has been a failure. "I think the Marauder has been and is successful because it's a niche product. It's this enthusiast niche that is buying this particular vehicle," said Philip Smoker, the Marauder's brand manager. "When we look at the demographics of the Marauder buyer, it's right in line with where we have targeted the product."
Smoker said the average age of the Marauder buyer was 51, versus 69 for the 2003 version of the Grand Marquis.

In the hope of selling more Marauders, Mercury is expanding color options from black only to dark blue as well as three new colors. The company will also offer new options such as traction control and a moonroof. Including last year's sales, Smoker said Mercury hoped to sell about 12,000 Marauders through the end of the model year.

B

·
0 Posts
One of my co-workers bought one of those. Even though its a POS Ford, it looked pretty cool. I wish our squads were Marauders! Too bad they are still slow Crown Vics.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i don't see how they expected to sell that many of them....expecially only in Black....GM even had to give in and sell the Impala in lighter colors to help it sell better

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
stilcrazee said:
It follows the Blackwood, and quite possibly the Thunderbird in missing the target!
i have only seen one blackwood.. in fact i didnt even know they were produced.. oddly enough it was at a used car dealership :laughing:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know...

Personally, I have an Impala SS and I love the car, even though GM didn't get it "right" until its third year..and once they got it right, they sold every one they made, ...just in time to kill it.

Being pragmatic about it, I don't think that we should consider it a failure or frankly, we may not be seeing too many cars with front engine/RWD platforms anymore.

The manufacturers are learning that from a performance standpoint the FE/RWD platform is still the best and most importantly, the one that Americans are familiar with and can still drive. (Remember all the damn accidents when FWD became big? People didn't know how to steer out of slides, the FWD cars climbed interstate dividers, etc.)

As someone who appreciates big cars I hope it remains a success and while I think they punked out on the HP (302?..when the same engine can put out 380 in a Mustang?) and I hope the do not repeat the mistake GM made by leaving a 10 year old interior design in place (my SS has virtually the same interior that a 1984 Caprice had).

I was reading the AutoWeek test of a Marauder done by tuner Kenny Brown. WOW! 450 hp and gobs of torque in a monster car like that! Its a good thing that KB is not offering the same sales deal or there'd be one in the driveway right now!

The Impala wasn't a strong seller its first year either (although much better than the Marauder's first year).

I hope it survives...and thrives..and with any luck, GM will take its collective head out of its rump and start making some interesting cars again.

Right now, Dodge and Ford are eating GM's lunch!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Got to give Ford credit for trying. I thought the car looked good in black but as I undersdtand it, the car is a real stone. Performance numbers I saw were marginally better than a Crown Vic. I guess they handles fairly well though!!

At 2900 units, I would say they missed their mark big time!!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chalky said:
Got to give ford credit for trying. I thought the car looekd good in black but as I undersdtand it, the car is a real stone. Performance numbers I saqw were marginally better than a Crown Vic. I guess they handles fairly well though!!

At 2900 units, I would say they missed their mark big time!!
Whats funny is that big auto manufacturers continue to miss the ball as to what the consumer will buy.

Case in point, the Plymouth Prowler, and cars like the Merc we are discussing.

Just because a focus group LOVES a car, does not mean they will buy it when the car comes out 2 YEARS later. It's the law of dimminishing returns.... love it today, bored with it by the time it comes out.:buhbye:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
With regard to the Merc, for some unknown reason...when I think of preformance cars, Mercury is not even on the list. Ya think they would have run that up the flag pole first!
If that vehicle had a Blue Oval on it, maybe it would have sold a few more units?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Patrick:

It is just so much BS. GM took a Camaro that was doing over 30K units year at its worst if I remember correctly and couldn't justify it. On the other hand niche vehicles with annual runs of 15K to 18K make for good decision.

Why not just admit that Mercury missed their mark on volume. Why try and BS the general public?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chalky, Mercurys were powerful cars and were known for it and their styling...but as you can see by the article, ...that was in the 40's and 50's!! The last Marauder ran off the line in the mid-to-late 60's...there are almost 2 generations now that don't recall Mercurys as performance or stylish cars.

Where I think they missed the mark was in their compromise. Their main buying demographic is considerably older than the market for the Impala SS (which I believe, the median age of the Caprice buyers when the SS was launched was 56).

Mercury compromised too much in the power/gearing dept for it to be considered a performance car. They wanted to attract new buyers but still couldn't totally discount their demographic.

Change the gearing, up the torque and HP by 10-15% and I think you'd sell a lot more.

Have any of you actually heard one of these things? If you start it up, it growls like it has balls of steel and a bad attitude. I haven't driven one but I've been kicking it around. Of course, Car and Drive also recently reported that the market had bottomed on the Impala SS (1994-1996) and they were starting to appreciate so I may be holding mine instead.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I spoke to a Merc rep about the car and driver article at the auto show Tues night. About the report saying the cars wern't selling...he was a bit taken back asking what? what? like he couldn't hear, then saying he couldn't believe what he was hearing. He said the whole run was sold! (yeah to the dealers!) I also happened to notice they had them on dispay in silver and metalic blue also.

He may have been PO'd cause I told him their concept car looked like a 63/64 Vette....

·
Registered
285 Posts
HTWHLS:

What I do know is that you cannot be all things to all people. If Merc demographics average age of 69, they really do have a problem. Who is buying the Marauder then? Possible fleet cars with Merc discounts??

Image is something you develop over years and most people except some of us, (me included) do not remember the 427 Mercs, 428 Cougars when Mercury was trying to build a performance image.

I would love to see them succeed. I think the car is a pretty decent looking ride. My issue would be calling the car a success when it has failed miserably. It would just be nice to hear someone say we screwed up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chalky said:
HTWHLS:

What I do know is that you cannot be all things to all people. If Merc demographics average age of 69, they really do have a problem. Who is buying the Marauder then? Possible fleet cars with Merc discounts??

Image is something you develop over years and most people except some of us, (me included) do not remember the 427 Mercs, 428 Cougars when Mercury was trying to build a performance image.

I would love to see them succeed. I think the car is a pretty decent looking ride. My issue would be calling the car a success when it has failed miserably. It would just be nice to hear someone say we screwed up.
Chalky..calling a spade a spade...2900 units would be a failure...

You're right on that account. I'm holding out hope because I'm one of those nuts that LOVES a big powerful sedan (I still weep for my 68 Caddy Sedan DeVille with its 472ci motor that would lay wheels all day, cruise at 90 with all the windows down while relaxing on leather seats and one arm out the window).

But a failure is a failure...I only hope they soldier on to give hope and enthusiasm for trying to fix it and offer some of us a powerful, stylish 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I drove the Sheriff's Marauder not too long after he bought it. Took it for a little test spin, floored it, and I wasn't impressed at all. No low end torque. My L98 pulls harder. For the price, It should have had a lot more power. I guess It'll be an instant collectible now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts