Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just turned 60 and those urges have not gone away! I bought a Cadillac CTS last year - it's a great car, really - but I'd love to get another Vette before I get much older. I had a '94 Coupe some years back. Probably get a C6/3LT coupe, don't really want a lot of garage work at this point. New or used - could go either way. I've had a lot of sports cars in the last 40 years, from Alfas to Beemers. Has to be an American V8 now!

My wife thinks I'm nuts and, of course, she's right.

If anyone has recommendations on dealers in the RI/CT/MA area, I'd be interested to hear. If you have a nice one to sell, I'd like to hear that too! Also your opinions on auto vs. manual? There are just too many 60 year olds out there driving Vettes with automatic transmissions. Having said that, my '94 coupe with a 6-speed was a killer in stop and go traffic. Clutch got very heavy after 100 miles! Don't know if the current models are any better?

Hope to hear from you.

Frank
Charlestown, RI

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Well Frank Welcome to the DC forum. You are never to old for a Vette or a manual transmission. I turn 66 in Feb. and am heading for Bondurant for their 4 day Grand Prix Racing Course.

You are only as old as you feel, so pull on a fire suit and come with me...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
The current car's hydraulic clutch isn't all that much work in stock form. Don't succumb to temptation and buy a short throw shifter though. I think the C6 shifter is the most comfortable one I've ever used. The A6 is actually a decent automatic, with the ability to shift yourself when you feel like it. Sure, it's not a true SMG, but it isn't bad either.

Buy what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else is doing.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Welcome! :buhbye:

Get a stock C6 (in any form). The manual 6 speed is easy as pie, so go for it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got it!

A big thanks to Tommy Jr. at MacMulkin Chevrolet! Great deal and a pleasure to do business with Tommy Jr. What can I say without sounding like a shameless shill - don't buy a Vette before you call him! I had to drive over 2 hours to get to Nashua but the ride home seemed like mere minutes.

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Grand Sport Coupe in (soon to be very hard to find) Jet Stream Blue with black leather. And yes I got the manual 6 speed and am glad I did. It is the best manual I have ever driven! That goes for a BMW or 2 and, oh yeah, a Porsche. And the power...

Why JSB? Well, it had to be this color. When I was in high school back in the mid 60's my best friend had a Chevelle SS in a color very, very similar to JSB - and some memories are hard to shake.

So, I may not really feel like I'm 16 again - but, it's d*&# close!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts