Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We jsut opened up the transmission to change the oil and the filter, and things just didn`t go as planned. There were a lot of metal shavings in the oil. In all kinds of different sizes. I drove around 2000 miles the last season out of around 83000 on the (as far as I can tell) stock and unmodified driveline. I have not abused the car at all. No slamming of the shifter into P - stops (throwing out the anchor), no burnouts and no hard driving. The transmission felt good, geared fast and precise. Only thing I noticed that might have been out of the normal was a whine on the first gear. Didn`t really hear anything when cruising, but you could hear it when coasting and especially when engine braking. I thought the turbo 350s had a straight cut first gear, since the whining sounds a lot like a volvo in reverse. But could the whining be from a wrecked bearing or is there something else wrong? (everything?)

And one more thing. This transmission has been opened before. Could someone have been clumsy or something when installing a shift kit? Take a look at the blue goo on the gasket:smack.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not good. Most likely, one of the planetary sets is coming apart.
An no- all 350's gears are helical cut so they're quiet.

·
Registered
332 Posts
:agree:time for rebuild/replace/overdrive convertion(200r4)
most certainly low planetry gear set takinig a dive big time.:buhbye:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If you decide to rebuild, rjent and I put this together some time ago= the pictures and most of the text are for a TH400, but many of the things are close enough you can get the idea. A 350 is really an easy one to build.
If you have any questions, post them up and we can get tham answered for you..

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109572

:cheers:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thank you. But I think I finally have a good reason to buy a Keisler 5 speed. Would anyone recommend me to not use the transmission for a couple thousand more miles? Could the transmission damage other parts of the car if it breaks? Would it be easier to rebuild the transmission now than when it has blown up?

I`ve been interested in installing a proper transmission in the car since I got it, but I couldn`t justify paying a small fortune to replace something that worked. I won`t be missing the granny-o-matic.

I`m knocked out by a damn cold today so I didn`t check it myself, but my father cleaned out the pan an put it on the transmission again. He said there were 3 plates or something inside the trans that were stamped with 00, 02 and 04. He said one of these were missing a piece. He said those plates looked like freeze plugs. Does anyone know what those are?

And thanks again.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
naj, feel free to drive it until it grenades itself, you wont damage anything else, unless somehow the driveshaft yoke comes out of the trans

·
Registered
552 Posts
Believe it or not, that tranny probably has 10K plus left in it. th350s are tough ole suckers and can puke a ridiculous amount of metal before dying if you drive nice and they're bolted to a 200hp engine. As rarely as you drive it may die from internal seal cracking/aging before the metal components crap out.

A th350 core is for all practical purposes worthless. Drive it til it won't move forward anymore. When it goes it'll probably give between 1-100 miles notice as neutral slowly takes over the other gear positions.

It would be extraordinarily rare to lock the input or output shaft and hurt the engine or driveshaft. The cases look strong but are paper thin and will break with any kind of real internal binding, which acts as a cushion and protects other things. I have ruined a LOT of th350s and would run that one with total confidence within 60 miles of the house, but would keep a real close eye on the fluid and be prepared to change it every few thousand when metallic contamination starts looking scary.

good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Believe it or not, that tranny probably has 10K plus left in it. th350s are tough ole suckers and can puke a ridiculous amount of metal before dying if you drive nice and they're bolted to a 200hp engine. As rarely as you drive it may die from internal seal cracking/aging before the metal components crap out.

A th350 core is for all practical purposes worthless. Drive it til it won't move forward anymore. When it goes it'll probably give between 1-100 miles notice as neutral slowly takes over the other gear positions.

It would be extraordinarily rare to lock the input or output shaft and hurt the engine or driveshaft. The cases look strong but are paper thin and will break with any kind of real internal binding, which acts as a cushion and protects other things. I have ruined a LOT of th350s and would run that one with total confidence within 60 miles of the house, but would keep a real close eye on the fluid and be prepared to change it every few thousand when metallic contamination starts looking scary.

good luck
Well thanks, but the fluid looked good on the dipstick. A clear red color. But the fluid on the bottom of the pan was a little bit darker. And it didn`t smell anything but gear oil. The fluid in the transmission was at least 3 years old and 3000 miles. Can`t really tell when because I don`t know anything about the previous owner. My father thinks it was changed a lot longer ago. He says he can tell by that blue goo. Here in Norway we usually call that blue goo "bubba on a tube":smack

I guess I`ll just use the transmission until it starts loosing gears or refuses to change gears. Then I`ll replace it (with a keisler 5 speed?) and keep the matching numbers wreck and rebuild it.

EDIT: My father found this picture of a 700r4. See those 4 round plugs at the top right? My gearbox had three and the one in the middle was missing a piece. Does anyone know what these plugs are?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The ones about 1/2" in diameter? Those are the shift valve sleeves, the actual valves are inside them with the springs. All autos use them, some run in the body with no sleeve, some have a plug and some don't. Some have a roll pin showing thru the hole and others have that pin just on the end of a spring. Different autos = different ways of doing things.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ones about 1/2" in diameter? Those are the shift valve sleeves, the actual valves are inside them with the springs. All autos use them, some run in the body with no sleeve, some have a plug and some don't. Some have a roll pin showing thru the hole and others have that pin just on the end of a spring. Different autos = different ways of doing things.
My father said he could see 1\4 or 1\5 of the plug was broken off and he suspect some of the metal shavings might be from the missing bit after having been crushed in the gears somewhere. What would happen if one of those plugs were missing? The three plugs were stamped with 00, 02 and 04 and the 02 plug was the one that was broken.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Some of the sleeves have a slot milled in them for the roll pin. The end is sometimes thin and breaks off. Won't hurt the function, and the pieces are usually half-moon shaped and aluminum. Too big to hurt anything.

IF you run until it finally quits, be sure and flush or replace the trans cooler in the radiator if you go abck with an auto trans. The real fine particles get suspended in the fluid and get trapped in the cooler. Then they wash out and back into the new trans. They also make an in-line trans filter..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts