Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaron Pfadt thought that I might be a better Corvette driver if I picked up a flogged Miata race car and joined a league.

I can see it now... a flat black Miata, skull on the hood, flat black wheels with slicks... a blood splattered "666" on the door.

:devil:

·
Registered
759 Posts
then you can start "DIGITALMIATAS.COM" "Our cars are well....gay" :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Miata's

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

....not unless it has a 5.0 302ci under the hood. :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Question?

Why don't you just stick to the plan - Continue to get seat time in the DCZ - and improve your abilites behind the wheel?

Why go to a car, thats going to feel a lot different in the first place and then "re-adjust" your skills everytime your competeing in the DCZ???

We all know its NOT because your trying to keep the DCZ in "like new" condition....:laughing:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Why go to a car, thats going to feel a lot different in the first place and then "re-adjust" your skills everytime your competeing in the DCZ???
Aaron's suggestion to take a weekend Miata course was simply so Patrick can start from square 1 in getting a feel for what the car should be doing and how you should react to it on a course.

However, Pat has basically just jumped into square 8 and trying to catch up. The Miata experience would give Pat a much greater sense of how a rwd car is suppose to respond, rather than trying to manage 400rwhp where things happen a lot faster and have greater risk.

Pat better continue getting road time in the DCZ or else iburke is going to disown him. BUT getting some Miata time should be able to enhance how Pat interacts with the DCZ. Get a vision/sense of how things should feel...just with more horsepower and style....and sound, oh baby more sound.

:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I have plans to bring a V-8 Miatia to One lap in 2 years unless I can get the keys to a certain blue Z.:devil:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Aaron's suggestion to take a weekend Miata course was simply so Patrick can start from square 1 in getting a feel for what the car should be doing and how you should react to it on a course.

However, Pat has basically just jumped into square 8 and trying to catch up. The Miata experience would give Pat a much greater sense of how a rwd car is suppose to respond, rather than trying to manage 400rwhp where things happen a lot faster and have greater risk.

Pat better continue getting road time in the DCZ or else iburke is going to disown him. BUT getting some Miata time should be able to enhance how Pat interacts with the DCZ. Get a vision/sense of how things should feel...just with more horsepower and style....and sound, oh baby more sound.

:laughing:
So a Z06 equiped with Pfadt suspension, roll bar, racing seat, 5 point racing belts, video cameras (which can be used to review\critique performance at a later date) is going to be replaced with a stock Miata - so patrick can get a feel for driving a RWD car and find the line??

I'd rather "walk" the course and give it some thought - then get behind a "real" track car and drive.....

The only reason I'd take a Miata around a course - would be for shits and giggles. :laughing:

I wouldn't even want to spend the money and upkeep on a Miata for that purpose. :huh:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
When you ski for the first time do you head to the steepest most challenging run first? No
No - But I don't build a puposefully set of ski's only to leave them in the garage while I take a couple of runs down hill on a set of 2"x4"'s.....

·
DC Crew
5,554 Posts
Aaron Pfadt thought that I might be a better Corvette driver if I picked up a flogged Miata race car and joined a league.

I can see it now... a flat black Miata, skull on the hood, flat black wheels with slicks... a blood splattered "666" on the door.

:devil:
My friend just bought a '94 Miata with 40k miles for only 6 grand. Fun little cars but they are EXTREMELY slow stock. He plans on doing some SCAA events and it turns out there is a decently sized aftermarket for these cars. Found a couple on Craigslist for less than 4k :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So a Z06 equiped with Pfadt suspension, roll bar, racing seat, 5 point racing belts, video cameras (which can be used to review\critique performance at a later date) is going to be replaced with a stock Miata - so patrick can get a feel for driving a RWD car and find the line??

I'd rather "walk" the course and give it some thought - then get behind a "real" track car and drive.....

The only reason I'd take a Miata around a course - would be for shits and giggles. :laughing:

I wouldn't even want to spend the money and upkeep on a Miata for that purpose. :huh:
If it were only that easy.

Your first boating lesson shouldn't be a yacht. You shouldn't get flight training on an F-15... generally a Cesna or Piper Cub. You don't learn to ride a motorcycle on a 7 second drag bike.

The issue is the Z06 will mask a lot of bad driving. And, I want to be a great driver... not a good driver in a great car. I don't have a motorsports background... never raced carts... or anything prior to learning on the Z. All of this is new.

Repeat: I want to be a GREAT competition driver. If that means a slower car and race mirror to mirror with other slow cars to make sure there are no gaps in my skills, then so be it... if that is the path to being a killer driver in the Z06.

Then, I will club race the Z06. Then I will be the track rapist and hand out MF'n bitch slaps without looking retarded..:devil:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If it were only that easy.

Your first boating lesson shouldn't be a yacht. You shouldn't get flight training on an F-15... generally a Cesna or Piper Cub. You don't learn to ride a motorcycle on a 7 second drag bike.

The issue is the Z06 will mask a lot of bad driving. And, I want to be a great driver... not a good driver in a great car. I don't have a motorsports background... never raced carts... or anything prior to learning on the Z. All of this is new.

Repeat: I want to be a GREAT competition driver. If that means a slower car and race mirror to mirror with other slow cars to make sure there are no gaps in my skills, then so be it... if that is the path to being a killer driver in the Z06.

Then, I will club race the Z06. Then I will be the track rapist and hand out MF'n bitch slaps without looking retarded..:devil:
:laughing: :laughing:

What ever floats your boat then - sounds like your mind is made up. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:laughing: :laughing:

What ever floats your boat then - sounds like your mind is made up. :thumbsup:
Nope. Just exploring it. Thus my post! And, it's not about what floats by boat... it's what will make me as great of a driver as I can be in the great Z06. Sometimes steps are better than leaps.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A lot of the performance driving schools use vettes
so they cant be that bad to learn on, right? :huh:
I agree you need to learn to walk before run but come on,
it's not like you haven't driven fast cars your whole life.

but there is no question it would be fun.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Nope. Just exploring it. Thus my post! And, it's not about what floats by boat... it's what will make me as great of a driver as I can be in the great Z06. Sometimes steps are better than leaps.
The only reason I said "floats your Boat" - Is because of the first boating lesson shouldn't be in a Yacht thing.... enough with the metaphors everyone...:laughing:

Either way Patrick - I guess there are pros and cons to both. You have a purposely built track car at your disposal (which I believe will react to your input accordingly - and you can make adjustments accordingly) - and an opportunity to develop your skills on something else.....

Yes – you must learn to walk before you run and so forth….sorry everyone!!!

Do you take a step back and learn at a slower pace – or do you move forward and JUST DON”T GIVE IT AS MUCH GAS!!!! :devil:

Either way, Not trying to be a little girl here about it - But - May you be as Great of a driver as you can be....:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Patrick, will you even fit in a Miata? :huh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts