Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from a very respectable auto journalist.

http://autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table

The Corvette C7. Publisher's Note: There's a furious debate going on in the halls of GM as you read this. The subject? The fate of the next-generation Corvette C7. On one side are the mid-engine Corvette boosters, who are absolutely convinced that the time has finally come for Corvette to become a mid-engined sports car. On the other side are the people who believe that taking the Corvette to a mid-engine configuration would immediately destroy the performance- for-the-dollar quotient, the one hallmark the Corvette has been famous for almost since Day One. After driving Audi's R8 this week, I tend to agree with the "keep Corvette front-engined" faction. The R8 is a very nice car, but just how many six-figure sports cars can exist in the U.S. market, and do so profitably? Look for the debate to go this way: The next-generation Corvette will still be front-engined, but it will be even lighter than the current car and have more than one engine option - including a new, small-displacement, aluminum V-8 to go along with yet another development of the current V-8. This car will be the mainstream Corvette that will still deliver on its performance-for-the-dollar imperative. But wait, that's not all. Then look for an extremely limited production run (less than 500) of an advanced, mid-engined Corvette that will play in the plus six-figure category - and deliver blistering performance that will surpass exotic sports cars from around the world costing hundreds of thousands more. This will be the technological "statement" car from GM that the "True Believers" within the corporation have long been waiting for. You read it here first, folks. - PMD

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
People always mention high cost as a reason for not building a mid-engine Corvette. The only real increase in cost would come from initial retooling. If this is to be a long-term platform for the car (and perhaps a Caddy to share the platform with), there would be no reason to inflate the price to outrageous levels to get a return the first year. You have the potential to save in the long run if you create a more efficient facility that requires fewer steps (which would be automatic in this case; there are less assembly steps required since the drivetrains currently arrive in BG fully assembled. Mating a rear/mid engine car to a chassis would be less labor intensive. In fact, why not make the drivetrain truly structural?) Anyway, this isn't to say that there would not be a significant initial investment on the part of GM, but implemented properly with an eye on long term development, we would not necessarily see a huge increase in cost.
OK, all that babble aside, keep the 'vette front/mid. It is an established design that works. Until we get Saleens and Ferraris constantly handing the Corvette team devastating losses at Le Mans, I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm thinking a mid engine corvette will no longer be an affordable vehicle for many folks.
:agree:

It will be a cool concept, but the added costs will likely add a premium to the once "affordable" sports car... Only time will tell. :huh:

·
DC Crew
5,554 Posts
If that happens I'm moving to the viper scene or just jump boats to the F-body cars.

The Corvette is a simple formula. RWD + V8 = Happy customers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only to people who've never driven a real mid-engine-behind-the-driver car hard.

If they can bring it in at something close to current Vette prices, I'm all for it.
uh, no. A mid engine car has nothing to do with whether the driver is behind or in front of the engine. It is based on the weight of the engine in relationship to the front and rear axle. And I've driven Ford GT's, and F360 CS's on the track many many times, yet my mid engined corvette track car will kill them all. Also, all GT1 cars have the engine in the front. As far as the blurb, they are talking about a rear mid engine in small quantities just to tell other manufacturer's FU and the rest being front mid.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would be very much interested in seeing a new mid-engine concept. It's been years since the development of the Corvette Indy and CERV III and GM has made technological leaps since then. Just look at the development of the new Z06 Corvette compared to the first C5 Corvette.

Whether or not GM could afford to spend the money on the development of the concept that then translates into yearly sales of only 500 units is another matter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's the styling and "made in America" I'm interested in, so if all the vettes were mid engine thats fine, so long as I can still get my hands on the spark plugs without great difficulty. My old 96 z28 was a PITA to get to the plugs and exhaust manifolds, and half the engine was under the windshield. To me, if they bury the engine in the vette, I wouldn't be a very happy puppy....

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
I'm thinking a mid engine corvette will no longer be an affordable vehicle for many folks.

Ponch, if we're talking about the $100k Blue Devil. Limited affordability is a given, along with limited availability and future collectability. This model will not neccessarily have anything to with the vette that you and I drive, or will drive in the future - unless you intend to cough up 100 large - I don't.

I think this rumor is mis-founded. The Blue Devil has been rumored to be labeled a "C7", but NOT the next gen Mid-level Corvette (yours and mine today).

It all comes down to what kind of statement GM wants to make with the top dog vette. Pure performance using the Enzo model would result in a nice, but not opulent interior in a street legal C6R with lots of Z06 under a slightly more radical skin (this expectation seems to be popular with the car magazines).

If the XLR is going to be allowed to fade into the sunset (seems like the path chosen by the consumer) and Cad leaves the sports car market, the $100k Vette could follow the 5xx(Maranello) series package formula and take performance and content up to a world level with all new skin, yet more posh than an Enzo modeled offering.

I don't think they have the resources, the time, or the BOD commitment to do either of the above, so it will likely be a compromise car (sort of an Enzo/Viper-type package) that will be, essentially, a Z06 tuner that will look even more like the C6R. Popular appeal (those of us who can't afford it) will be great = Bragging Rights. It will be produced in very limited numbers assuring a customer demand greater than the limited supply.

Also, I look for this one to be built on the XLR assembly line. Either along side the XLR to better utilize the capacity calability of that line, or alone if the XLR is cancelled - very possible. If the XLR IS cancelled, look for more unique models (maybe not all vettes) to follow to try to fill up that section of BG. JMHO

·
Registered
424 Posts
Where is moore rb? He posted this rumor before the C6 was out. I'd love to see this car happen,keep the base and Z06 front mid-engine for the masses,then make the SS rear mid. I read GM still has plans to build the Cien and a version of the Sixteen. So you fade out the XLR,and build a (shared platformed) Mid engine SS Corvette,and a Cien on the XLR's assembly line.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts