Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Way too soon to read too much into this prototype . . . but at the same time, it would be foolish to completely disregard it. I've said right along that I didn't think we would see a production mid-engine Corvette for quite a few more years. The fact that an actual cobbled-up running mule is turning laps says a lot more than all the enthusiast magazine blather of the last forty years.

So we'll see. Stay tuned. :thumbsup:

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
First thought after seeing the photo?

El Camino has returned! :devil:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That's basically a Holden Ute, but I don't get the link between that and the Vette.

I think Cadillac is a better fit for a mid-engine car. In my opinion, the front-engine design of the Vette is part of its legacy, and keeping it that way fits into the American super-car-competitor category.

For a direct competitor to the R8, it should definitely be Cadillac's deal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The big story here is that Gm is probably going to break from tradition and going Mid engine and a higher performance than the Vette. If it turn out to be a ZR1 Vette or a Cadillac any ones guess.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That red C8 concept looks nasty

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
lookss like a next gen Holden Maloo

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Let's look at the photos to see what there is to see.

There are 13 total pictures that were taken before it was covered up. The cabin section is from the C7. The front end is from a Holden Commodore SSV and the rear is from the Holden Commodore SSV UTE. The fender are significantly wider than a Holden product in front and in back. The fuel door in on the driver side B pillar.

The photographer said the platform appeared to be Corvette based, but that was only seen for 82 seconds with 15 framed pictures.

There is at least some real fuel on the fire for a mid-engine C8. The only comments about a Cadillac sports car also come from Car and Driver and they date January 4, 2011. GMAuthority stated a posibility of a "mystery" car for 2015 and beyond, but that article is from May 10, 2012. The ONLY current news about a future Cadillac is the CT6. That is to be a flagship model in lines with BMW 7 series or Mercedes S-Class.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There is nothing that says Corvette. I'm kind of skeptical. I would think we will see a high end Caddy first.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There is nothing that says Corvette. I'm kind of skeptical. I would think we will see a high end Caddy first.

I disagree SPD98. the roof is all corvette, as are the mirrors. The interior looks like the current car's cockpit as well. At least from what I can see. This could definitely be the real thing.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Almost looks like a Cadillac emblem on the grille and what little you can see of the taillights are reminiscent of the old Cadillac Allante.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Almost looks like a Cadillac emblem on the grille and what little you can see of the taillights are reminiscent of the old Cadillac Allante.
The emblem is a Holden one.

The difference between the Holden UTE Maloo and the mule is the drivers side fuel door on the B pillar. The UTE has it on the passenger side in the back.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The emblem is a Holden one.

The difference between the Holden UTE Maloo and the mule is the drivers side fuel door on the B pillar. The UTE has it on the passenger side in the back.
Is it common for GM to use Holden for it development vehicles? Seems like they would do that kind of development nearer Detroit. :huh:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I always felt i had a mid - engine considering there is 4 ft of space from the nose to the front of the block.
Imho....that car looks like ****.

No hood.....is that a toneau cover on the back area?
The front end reminds me of my malibu.

Doesn't look like a vette... call it something else.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Is it common for GM to use Holden for it development vehicles? Seems like they would do that kind of development nearer Detroit. :huh:
I wouldn't say it is common, but it does happen. GM has used a lot of its Opel resources to use as mules or transfer to the US. It is more difficult to use Holdens because they are right hand drive, but they have done it before.

The new Impala, SS and the past GTO and G8 were all Holden developed. GM is pretty much the last man standing for car manufacturing in Australia. Toyota and Ford pulled out late last year. It makes sense to transfer the costs of development between a couple of markets and provide vehicles that look fresh here, but are common other places.

Considering that the cabin module is directly from a C7, a C8 or other sport car makes sense. Also since Holden has the only "El Camino" in the market, they could test a rear/mid engined car and conceal the engine in the "bed area" and cover it with a toneau cover. It certainly would make sense.

Holden is known for its balls to the walls V8 sports cars. They make the right platforms for this application. I think in this case we are looking at the next Corvette or ultra high end sports car.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I read online that Holden has announced it will cease making cars in Australia by 2017. Sounds like they are about the last man standing right now.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I read online that Holden has announced it will cease making cars in Australia by 2017. Sounds like they are about the last man standing right now.
But they make some awesome cars!!!!! They are like a Pontiac division - performance driven and they back it up with some great engines. The Corvette engine is in a lot of their sports cars!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts