Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
But they make some awesome cars!!!!! They are like a Pontiac division - performance driven and they back it up with some great engines. The Corvette engine is in a lot of their sports cars!

I used to own a 2004 GTO. Lots of people hated that car, it was kind of a dog because of the weight, but man I loved it. Quick enough, super comfortable, a nice car all around.

My only problem with the car was strut rub, which GM acknowledged as a defect but refused to fix, and the drip edge on the windshield was never moved for the US market, so when the wipers went on, all the water would come in the driver's window if you had it cracked :laughing: Otherwise awesome car.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
The GM Cammo guys are very good at what they do and a Mid-engine C8 Covette gets ALL of their tallent. Why bother building an obviously function only, completely bogus body with that horrible spoiler then put a grill and "emblem" on it that tells the photogs the bloodline of the mule?

I think C&D got this on right. we are looking at the C8 Mule. However, the concept drawings ... waaaaay to early for those to be even a possibility, IMO.

BTW, the pic below clearly shows the Vette targa top.

C8 mule:

Reactions: stinger430

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I read online that Holden has announced it will cease making cars in Australia by 2017. Sounds like they are about the last man standing right now.
Yes Holden is shuttering at the end of 2017 due to the small percentage of Aussie produced cars the Aussies actually buy and the escalating strength of the Aussie $ vs. the US $. The Holden engineering group has already been gutted and I really doubt they are developing a new mid-engine while they are eliminating engineer overhead. The next Chevy SS will be built on the ATS/CTS/Camaro platform. Its a great platform, so adopting Iacoca's K platform idea is justified by the quality and capability of the resulting cars. I would bet they start building at least one crossover on that same platform.

Ford will shutter their Aussie manufacturing in October 2016.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I disagree SPD98. the roof is all corvette, as are the mirrors. The interior looks like the current car's cockpit as well. At least from what I can see. This could definitely be the real thing.
Those are just parts bin parts just like the Holden front and tail lights. Even though the proportions of this are odd, I'm not even 100% sure it's rear mid engined. Where are the air intakes? the rear is also kind of low and the rear overhang is odd for a mid car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Those are just parts bin parts just like the Holden front and tail lights. Even though the proportions of this are odd, I'm not even 100% sure it's rear mid engined. Where are the air intakes? the rear is also kind of low and the rear overhang is odd for a mid car.
They're just ahead of the rear wheel well , pretty low down. Some have said that there are also intakes in the wing supports.
We'll know soon enough if this was the real deal or not. I hope it is.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
That's a rear mid engine mule. Look how long the distance is from the rear door edge to the rear wheel well. Look how close the front of the door edge is to the back of the front wheel well. Rear mid without a doubt.

The new Cadillac boss has stated that they do want to have a halo sports car, but that is a low priority to them and they do not expect to add one until some time after 2020. Cad's focus is where it should be ...on producing world class sedans and coupes. This is NOT a Cadillac (no cad version yet anyway). This IS a C8 mule ... unless you think Buick or GMC is getting a rear mid engine sports car.

BTW, Here is Buick's announced as a halo, Avenir ("future" in French). Welburn calls it a 4 door coupe. Mmmm. How original. Regardless, IMO it looks good.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ford GT revealed at the Detroit Auto show... all I can say ... WOW ! it even has a round tail light proving that there is nothing wrong with round. This puts pressure on GM to respond so it wih a beautiful C8.
There was mention of the C8 in the "ASK BOB" as in Bob Lutz in the R&T this month..... at the very end there isa remark by Welburn commenting on some of the artist conceptions and he says that they definitely did not come from GM Styling ! Now some of those concepts pics were stunning so I don't know why he would make such comments... perhaps they we're ugly enough for his tastes. One those pic used the current rear light arrangment and it actually looked good!

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
I read that too, and a couple of other comments that Maximum Bob has made about the Rear mid C8.

The C8 is real. However, as long as Welburn and Peters are influencing Corvette, I don't have much hope that the C8 will look as good as the new Ford GT [gag reflex - can't believe I just complemented a Ford]. They will reinforce/justify the C7 design by including bits of it in the C8. JMHO

Reactions: stinger430

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I see it more of a bridge between being a sports car to being a supercar. The transition from what the current cost is to what it is going to be. It will be a significant upgrade and the clientele may change a bit or it will be preparing current owners of the switch in philosophy.

We all know that the current Corvette buyers were not enthused with the current styling. We tend to be a conservative bunch. The C8 will be anything but conservative.

If the new Ford GT will start at around $250,000, where should the C8 be slotted. Even the Viper is at a higher price point, so this will provide something for everyone until the transition is complete. IMHO

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Why a Mid Rear C8?
  • Engineering has stated that the C7 chassis is about as far as the Front mid design can progress - limited by physics. The next significant jump in performance would require a mid rear engine design. ...something Zora figured out in the 60's BTW.
  • Secrets don't stay secrets very long in Detroit. GM has known about Ford's new GT for a long time. Ford and GM have always had a "Tit for Tat" impact on each other. There was C8 rear mid engineering work that was set aside at the time of the bankruptcy so the Ford move makes resuming the C8 an easier sell to the GM BOD.
  • The ZR-1 proved that a $100k+ Corvette that didn't have a unique exterior or chassis design could sell in limited numbers consistently. This helped kill the arguments that cited the lack of XLR sales due to high price. So add an even higher than C7 level of performance and a unique body & chassis should deliver higher sales numbers (yet still modest) if priced right.
IMO all these things opened the door for a C8 Rear mid.
Also, for some those who haven't followed this closely, all of the GM sourced rumors insist that the C8 is NOT a replacement for the C7. The two models will sell side by side for at least a few years. Will the C8 rear mid chassis be the basis for the C9 replacement of the C7? I don't think anyone at GM is ready to throw out the front mid chassis as yet.
JMHO

BTW, Ford has avoided stating whether the new Ford GT is a limited run like the last Ford GT. I've read both that Ford walked away from a lot of potential sales last time and also that there were Ford GTs on the lots for a long time. :huh: I did read that their targets are the Lambo Hurucan and others priced around $275k. That article suggested the new Ford GT would sell for $225-250k. Surely they can make a profit at that price.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ford GT revealed at the Detroit Auto show... all I can say ... WOW ! it even has a round tail light proving that there is nothing wrong with round. !
I had the exact same thought!!!! Designers can make round tail lights work on an edgy design.

Hat's off to the Ford team for celebrating their car's heritage and not following the crowd.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Why a Mid Rear C8?
  • Engineering has stated that the C7 chassis is about as far as the Front mid design can progress - limited by physics. The next significant jump in performance would require a mid rear engine design. ...something Zora figured out in the 60's BTW.
  • Secrets don't stay secrets very long in Detroit. GM has known about Ford's new GT for a long time. Ford and GM have always had a "Tit for Tat" impact on each other. There was C8 rear mid engineering work that was set aside at the time of the bankruptcy so the Ford move makes resuming the C8 an easier sell to the GM BOD.
  • The ZR-1 proved that a $100k+ Corvette that didn't have a unique exterior or chassis design could sell in limited numbers consistently. This helped kill the arguments that cited the lack of XLR sales due to high price. So add an even higher than C7 level of performance and a unique body & chassis should deliver higher sales numbers (yet still modest) if priced right.
IMO all these things opened the door for a C8 Rear mid.
Also, for some those who haven't followed this closely, all of the GM sourced rumors insist that the C8 is NOT a replacement for the C7. The two models will sell side by side for at least a few years. Will the C8 rear mid chassis be the basis for the C9 replacement of the C7? I don't think anyone at GM is ready to throw out the front mid chassis as yet.
JMHO

BTW, Ford has avoided stating whether the new Ford GT is a limited run like the last Ford GT. I've read both that Ford walked away from a lot of potential sales last time and also that there were Ford GTs on the lots for a long time. :huh: I did read that their targets are the Lambo Hurucan and others priced around $275k. That article suggested the new Ford GT would sell for $225-250k. Surely they can make a profit at that price.
Ford benchmarked the 458 Speciale for performance. The C7 Z07 already surpasses that. I'm actually wondering if the GT will actually be any faster.

If you think about Ford in it's last generation of performance cars (mostly Mustang Variants) they were all pretty one dimensional. It's going to be interesting to see if they can close the gap on the track (the new Mustang GT/track pack didn't).

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The newly re-introduced Ford GT appears to be an awesome car . . . but at a quarter-million-dollar price point, it's going to be a tough sell after the first few jock-sniffers snap them up. In order to be successful in the long term, it will need to be livable every day in a way the last reiteration of the Ford GT never really was, and at the same time it had better be able to easily show its heels to the 2015 Z06 on the track. I don't think it will be able to do either of those things. So, what does this mean for the mid-engined Corvette mule shown here?

I see the new car as a companion piece to the more conventional front mid-engined C8 which is already in the pipeline. I could see it built in limited numbers, at a $140,000 to $150,000 price point due to a lot of shared parts and technology with the "regular" Corvette, and serving as a rolling, production test bed for emerging C8 technology. I don't know about the Cadillac connection - does Cadillac really "need" such a car? It seems to me that the future of that division lies more in ultra-luxury sedans, high-end SUVs, and sporty BMW-fighting cars such as the ATS-V. While a mid-engined sports car might be nice to have, if it appears as a Cadillac it will, in my opinion, follow the route of the late, unlamented XLR - which was a nice enough car in its own right, offering a few features the companion Corvette did not have such as the retractable hardtop, but in the end being seen as nothing more than a fancy Corvette. Perhaps sharing any new rear mid-engined platform with Cadillac would let GM grab a few more sales initially, but I don't see it enjoying any more long-term success than the XLR did.

I hope they build the rear mid-engine Corvette, and I hope they call it the Zora. I hope it kicks the new Ford GT's ass on the track, if not in the showroom. I may even buy one, we'll see what the "regular" C8 amounts to first - it may be hard to justify the additional cost for performance I would rarely if ever use. I believe we are, right at this moment, closer than we have ever been to seeing the rear mid-engine Corvette become a reality. While I don't think that GM "needs" this car, I applaud their apparent intention to build it anyway - if for no other reason than to embarrass the new Ford GT. And just because they can. For a long time it has been my position that we would not see such a car for quite a few years yet.

But I could be wrong. I kind of hope so. Build it.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
How come?
I've driven C3's forever...This is the first new Corvette I and a few other C3 owners were ever motivated to purchase. :thumbsup:
The design of the C7 is very polarizing. Most folks either really like it or hate it. I still have my purchased new C3, but I detest the design of the C7 and will definitely skip ownership of this generation.

Glad you like the C7 and will support this generation by buying one.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sorry, I don't buy into the "Yeah, we know you hate it - but you'll get used to it" school of design. Ugly is still ugly. Just my opinion, of course - but I'm entitled to it.

Reactions: Longtimer
21 - 40 of 85 Posts