Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I said I was going to test the DIC mileage figures on a 3300 mile trip I was taking from TX to NM, AZ, NV, and UT. I kept meticulous records of mileage and came up with 3322.2 miles traveled and 122.012 gal of gas used. The DIC, which I reset as I left for the trip, said I got 28.6 mpg. While there were long straight stretches of desert where my mileage was higher, I did a lot of mountain driving in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque area, the Flagstaff/Sedona area, and the drive into SW Utah. These areas brought my mileage down a couple of mpg. My first long leg from Ft. Worth to Santa Rosa, NM was 29.9 mpg on the DIC. However, when I added up my total miles and the gallons used, the calculator says I got 27.23 mpg - 1.37 mpg less than the DIC or 4.8% difference. I have seen questions on DC in the past about the accuracy of the DIC, so here is a sample of one. :laughing:

Interesting side story. We stayed two nights in Vegas (my favorite place). We stayed at Treasure Island where I have stayed many times before. I valet parked and tipped up front to have the Vette well taken care of. The second day there, we were planning a drive into Utah to check out the beautiful countryside. The round trip that day was about 300 miles. After we checked out of TI and were about to head back home, I stopped to fill up. When I went to fill out my mileage book, I checked my trip odomoter which had been at a little over 1700 miles at the last fill up. It read 89.9 miles! The only way it could read that amount IMO, is for someone in the valet group to reset the trip odo and then drive 89.9 mi. There is no possibility we reset that odo ourselves, and even if we had, it would read 0, not 89.9. Needless to say, I was furious. Another clue was that we had a plastic bottle of orange juice in the passenger side of the floorboard. It had been stepped on, cracked and leaked profusely on the floor mat. So someone had been sitting in the passenger seat. We had already checked out, so I called the hotel, asked for security and filed a complaint. They were going to check cameras and get back to me. We'll see. I checked the car with a fine tooth comb and could find no damage. But who knows how hard they might have driven the car? If you can't tell, I'm still burning over this.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I'd be really torqued about that. I'd have to go back and have a few hard words with the little shithead. Or you could buy a car like this and they would think that they are taking acid and be afraid to drive.;)

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I've tracked the mileage in my Jeep over the last 2 and a half years 57,000 miles and 3370 gallons of gas. The computer always says I get a few more MPG than actual, but sometimes it's a lot closer than others. :huh:

Sorry to hear about the valet BS. You've got good reason to be pissed. Hopefully the security take it seriously and find something on the tapes. :down:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tracked the mileage in my Jeep over the last 2 and a half years 57,000 miles and 3370 gallons of gas. The computer always says I get a few more MPG than actual, but sometimes it's a lot closer than others. :huh:

Sorry to hear about the valet BS. You've got good reason to be pissed. Hopefully the security take it seriously and find something on the tapes. :down:
I have all of the numbers to go back and check the mileage and compare on each individual tank. It would be interesting to see how much the accuracy varies, and whether mountain driving has more or less error than flat highway driving. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know most Vette owners shun the valet, but I have had very good luck giving a little extra up front and asking them to take good care of the car. I guess I want to have a little faith in the better side of people. Kind of disappointing, but I don't think it will change my outlook. I drive my car every day, and only valet park 3-4 times a year. I probably will continue to do so locally at restaurants, etc., but I may self-park at Vegas for overnight parking.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Blah, blah blah...

Interesting side story. We stayed two nights in Vegas (my favorite place). We stayed at Treasure Island where I have stayed many times before. I valet parked and tipped up front to have the Vette well taken care of. The second day there, we were planning a drive into Utah to check out the beautiful countryside. The round trip that day was about 300 miles. After we checked out of TI and were about to head back home, I stopped to fill up. When I went to fill out my mileage book, I checked my trip odomoter which had been at a little over 1700 miles at the last fill up. It read 89.9 miles! The only way it could read that amount IMO, is for someone in the valet group to reset the trip odo and then drive 89.9 mi. There is no possibility we reset that odo ourselves, and even if we had, it would read 0, not 89.9. Needless to say, I was furious. Another clue was that we had a plastic bottle of orange juice in the passenger side of the floorboard. It had been stepped on, cracked and leaked profusely on the floor mat. So someone had been sitting in the passenger seat. We had already checked out, so I called the hotel, asked for security and filed a complaint. They were going to check cameras and get back to me. We'll see. I checked the car with a fine tooth comb and could find no damage. But who knows how hard they might have driven the car? If you can't tell, I'm still burning over this.
Make sure to post the results of their "camera check". I'd like to know how they handle it. I stay at TI pretty often (always with a rental car though).

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure to post the results of their "camera check". I'd like to know how they handle it. I stay at TI pretty often (always with a rental car though).
They called me back about 2 hours after my original complaint to ask if my car was a hardtop or convertible. It made me think they were actually going to look. That was last Thursday and I haven't heard from them since. If I don't hear anything by this Thursday, I'll probably call to see if they found out anything. If they did see an employee joyriding, I'm not sure they would admit it to me. Seems like it would just be inviting a lawsuit.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I figure the valet it-shay is big on your mind but how about the tires? Only two but I'd still like to know your opinion of them.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
:thud: A good friend of mine in Denver, checked into a high end Hotel in Downtown Denver, gave some money to the valet to watch his Vette, and checked into his room.The room he was in had a view of the 4 story parking structure for the Hotel. He looked out and saw someone driving really fast and drifting his car as they climbed thru the parking garage.

Long story short, the Hotel comped his stay and apologized.

I NEVER let anyone drive or park RDZEPLN..Can't trust anybody.

Good luck..:cheers:

ZEP

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Yea I've always kept track of miles and gallons of gas used with my cars, and the old 85 always surprised me with how accurate it displayed. While it's never 100% exact on the amount of gas used (due to unknown reverses) judging from point-to-point fill up's, the digital display is spot on to my numbers.

I've lost track of how many times the Range Display said I had "1 mile" left as I slowly crept into the gas station pushing that final mile to the brink.

:smack

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I guess when your cheep you don't have to worry about these things. I never stay any where that costs enough to have Valet parking.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figure the valet it-shay is big on your mind but how about the tires? Only two but I'd still like to know your opinion of them.
I absolutely loved the PS2's on front. I did lots of mountain driving - much in the rain - and the grip was sure-footed with great handling. We went through some torrential rains on the interstate where I was driving 75. When the torrents hit, I would slow to 65-70 and feel totally secure. These tires have two huge grooves near the middle of the tire that I think give them exceptional wet road grip. I highly recommend these tires. I don't think having the Goodyears on back made any difference. It never felt out of control or anything on those twisty roads. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I guess when your cheep you don't have to worry about these things. I never stay any where that costs enough to have Valet parking.:rolling::rolling::rolling:
Yeah, Ivan, I've never seen a KOA with a valet:smack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts