Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
milage not correct? Can this be true?

A friend of mine is looking at a c5. It says it has 22k on it. I don't think its true. How did this person shut this off? Did he maybe pull the fuse for the dash? Im really confused, because the car looks like it has 100k on it. What should i check for? Its automatic to, so i don't think he pulled the speed sensor. Maybe attacked the wire in the dash that holds the milage reading??

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: milage not correct? Can this be true?

97redc5vette said:
A friend of mine is looking at a c5. It says it has 22k on it. I don't think its true. How did this person shut this off? Did he maybe pull the fuse for the dash? Im really confused, because the car looks like it has 100k on it. What should i check for? Its automatic to, so i don't think he pulled the speed sensor. Maybe attacked the wire in the dash that holds the milage reading??
Get the VIN, and run a carfax. If the car has changed hands before, the mileage should be listed in the carfax.

Also, take the VIN to a Chevy dealer, ask the service manager (nicely) if he'd help you out and run the VIN in the service database. If it had work done, they'd record the mileage -- and might tell you the previous owners.

It could be a flood or hurricane victim, or been someone's race car. It could be a stolen car with a swapped VIN, or a wrecked car with a swapped VIN. Carfax will also tell you if it has a salvage title.

What should you check for? My question is, why would you even want to buy it or consider buying it? I wouldn't walk, I'd RUN away from that car. There are TOO MANY low mile C5's right now that with little effort, you can find a GREAT deal on right now.

Good luck!

:cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We ran the vin and came up with nothing. I was told that its possible to pull the fuse for the speedometer and it will stop recording your milage. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
97redc5vette said:
We ran the vin and came up with nothing. I was told that its possible to pull the fuse for the speedometer and it will stop recording your milage. Does anyone know if this is true?
I'm reasonably sure there is no "fuse" that you can pull that will stop recording the mileage.

GM has put a lot of safeguards in cars to avoid odometer tampering. Of course, if someone REALLY wants to put in the effort and expense, you could accomplish it.

Not worth the risk! If busted for odometer tampering, you will go to jail.:whip:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
1 would imagine you could disable the vehicale speed sensor somehow?the check engine light would be on,but the car would still probably run and not record mileage,not sure about this on a C5.like Patrick said,there should be recorded mileage at the original dealer from bringing the car in for regular service under the origanal warranty.they may not have the whole record,but something.
pull the codes on the car also.maybe they never cleared the codes.if your gut is telling you "warning",then go look at another C5.there could be other things hiding also....:smokin:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would go take another look at the car and ask which dealer it came from. Let the guy know that you are going to check with a dealer on the service records and look at his face. Until a car is out of its 3/36 warranty who do you know that wouldn't take it to a dealer?

The original odometer could have been replaced a year ago and the guy thinks he can pass it off.

When shopping for my 87 I was told to look out for this. The early digital clusters would fail and someone would just replace it, and the odometer, with a rebuild that would have however many miles on it.

I have found that carfax is not completely reliable. My 01 Blazer got clobbered 8 months after I bought it. After State Farm paid a little over $10k to fix it, it still comes up under carfax as having never been in an accident.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
stu said:
I would go take another look at the car and ask which dealer it came from. Let the guy know that you are going to check with a dealer on the service records and look at his face. Until a car is out of its 3/36 warranty who do you know that wouldn't take it to a dealer?

You don't need to call THEIR dealer. It's a national database. If you go to a corvette dealer in Florida you can get the info on a car serviced in Alaska.
The original odometer could have been replaced a year ago and the guy thinks he can pass it off.
:agree:
When shopping for my 87 I was told to look out for this. The early digital clusters would fail and someone would just replace it, and the odometer, with a rebuild that would have however many miles on it.

I have found that carfax is not completely reliable. My 01 Blazer got clobbered 8 months after I bought it. After State Farm paid a little over $10k to fix it, it still comes up under carfax as having never been in an accident.
Your car wasn't totalled, therefore Carfax will not tell you. But, if the car had body work at all, you should be able to spot it no matter how well it was done.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
My dad knows some ppl in the insurance business and they say that If you total your vette and you right it off to the Insurance company. They can Fix it up and sell it to another Insurance company and tell them it wasnt in an accident. Its some kind of loop hole. So then that insurance company can sell it as if it has not been in a wreck.
:cheers:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: milage not correct? Can this be true?

97redc5vette said:
See, that proves Oliver Stone's theory about the grassy knoll and the friggin' Tonkin Gulf Incident.

I'm glad somebody else out there is on to them. There are black helicopters in Montana, dude. Don't let 'em fool you.

This is all part of the Tri-lateral Commission's attempt to wreak havoc in the Corvette resale market!

Vote for Tom McClintock Tuesday!

Ray

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Re: Re: milage not correct? Can this be true?

RT66Z06 said:
See, that proves Oliver Stone's theory about the grassy knoll and the friggin' Tonkin Gulf Incident.

I'm glad somebody else out there is on to them. There are black helicopters in Montana, dude. Don't let 'em fool you.

This is all part of the Tri-lateral Commission's attempt to wreak havoc in the Corvette resale market!

Vote for Tom McClintock Tuesday!

Ray

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I could be wrong... BUT:

- The newer cars, such as the C5, don't record the mileage in the odometer, they record it in the computer. It's in a protected SRAM somewhere. A really good hacker could probably find it. It's not the main computer, but some simple little jobber somewhere, hidden away. Probably VIN synched to prevent this kind of abuse. Not something that the ordinary Joe can do. They do this, not so much to protect US, but to protect them against false warranty claims.

- As a general rule, insurance companies do not fix and resell cars. That's not their business. Any car that they "total" is sold. Sure, quite often they are sold to reconstructors or someone who washes the title and puts the VIN on a stolen car, but that's not really their problem.

- You can often discern the mileage of a car by looking at the condition of the seats, the steering wheel, the pedals (on cars with rubber pedals), the suspension (on higher mileage cars).

And as Patrick pointed out, there are just way too many cars out there to shop from than to worry about a marginal car like this.

Michael:buhbye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts