Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinio...tarys-Tricare-benefits-too-sweet-a-deal_n.htm

OPPOSING VIEW: Troops already sacrificed for health care
The emphasis is on "little." The annual amount the Pentagon charges retirees for the military's basic Tricare health insurance plan — $460 for family coverage — was set back in 1995. It hasn't changed in 16 years. Can anyone else in the USA say that about his health premiums?
Gates' proposal requires retirees to pay an extra $5 a month for family coverage, or $2.50 a month for individuals. Even then, health coverage for military retirees would still be extraordinarily cheap: $520 a year for families and $260 a year for individuals.
Compare those figures with premiums in the civilian world: The average worker with employer-provided insurance pays about $4,000 a year for a family plan.
Health insurance for military retirees was always meant to be inexpensive, as part of the compensation for servicemembers' sacrifice: They relocate frequently and must serve at least 20 years to qualify for retiree benefits, often away from their families and in harm's way. But the disparity is simply too big to defend at a time of strained budgets. The House passed a major defense bill last week that included the fee increases.
Even if those increases pass the Senate, too, they don't go far enough. Monthly increases the price of a Starbucks latte will barely dent the Pentagon's spending on health care, which has nearly tripled in the past decade, to more than $50 billion this year. That's about one-tenth of the Pentagon's basic budget.

There is still plenty of room to pare back health care costs while treating servicemembers fairly. Many retire in their 40s after 20 years and join private companies that offer employer-provided health insurance. But some 60% keep Tricare because it's so much cheaper, and who can blame them? One useful proposal is to change the rules to encourage retirees who can get private insurance to take it. Other ideas include restoring premiums to inflation-adjusted 1995 levels and allowing future Tricare fees to rise along with health care costs.
Contrary to myths spread by opponents of Gates' proposals, active-duty servicemembers and their dependents will still get health care for free. That's as it should be. Wounded warriors, low-income veterans, those with service-related disabilities, former POWs and others will still qualify for free care from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
USA TODAY OPINION

About Editorials/Debate
Opinions expressed in USA TODAY's editorials are decided by its Editorial Board, a demographically and ideologically diverse group that is separate from USA TODAY's news staff.
Most editorials are accompanied by an opposing view — a unique USA TODAY feature that allows readers to reach conclusions based on both sides of an argument rather than just the Editorial Board's point of view.
The issue is how generous taxpayers should be in giving military retirees insurance that covers treatment by civilian hospitals and doctors. Critics act as if almost any change dishonors the sacrifice of servicemembers. Hardly. Remember, servicemembers who put in the full 20 years also get generous pensions that are adjusted for inflation, a benefit that has nearly vanished for civilians.
Retired military personnel can be justly compensated without beggaring the rest of the Pentagon budget or unnecessarily adding to the national debt."

:laughing:

Who's the overpaid, civil servant, union shitfucker now?:laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
They shouldn't be paying for any medical insurances. Other then where their pay is derived from... any and all similarities between the Military and the unions, end there. One is selfless... and the other self promoting.

Only an entitlement ladened ****-****er would attempt to create a connection between the two... due to a stale lack of originality and thought. To do so shows a belligerent falsity, charge and dare... as thought they were badgering a topic to death... rather then silently excusing themselves after repeated defeat on the same subject.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
so, what you are saying is....

due to the injuries I have sustained in combat, i should be responsible for the medical bills releated to the treatment? Lets see, MRI's/Xrays every 6-12 months, handfuls of medication, frequent physical therapy, pain management lessons, and the frequent visits to the doc because the pain gets to be more than I can handle? and when it finally gets bad enough, I should have to pay to have my vertabre fused, ect?

Or how about the medical care of some of my friends who lost limbs in combat? Or became paralized?

what, do you want me to have to swipe my insurance card next time i have a parachute malfunction and need to be treated?

How dare you compare the military to unions, just who the **** do you think you are? you have one group (unions) who are determined to suck the life out of their employer, and anther group(military) dedicated to protecting the life of their employer- while doing it for little money, no recognition, little time off, great personal sacrifice, ect....

seriously, you really need to look at yourself in the mirror on this one....

·
Registered
6,097 Posts

due to the injuries I have sustained in combat, i should be responsible for the medical bills releated to the treatment? Lets see, MRI's/Xrays every 6-12 months, handfuls of medication, frequent physical therapy, pain management lessons, and the frequent visits to the doc because the pain gets to be more than I can handle? and when it finally gets bad enough, I should have to pay to have my vertabre fused, ect?

Or how about the medical care of some of my friends who lost limbs in combat? Or became paralized?

what, do you want me to have to swipe my insurance card next time i have a parachute malfunction and need to be treated?

How dare you compare the military to unions, just who the **** do you think you are? you have one group (unions) who are determined to suck the life out of their employer, and anther group(military) dedicated to protecting the life of their employer- while doing it for little money, no recognition, little time off, great personal sacrifice, ect....

Well Said Sir! :partyon:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Where did I say any of that?

I laughing because your hypocrisy is preparing to bite you in the ass.

Your about to get thrown under the bus by your own party and organizations.

:laughing:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Dune your a partisan closed minded clown with a self perceived and inflated opinion of yourself and all you have to say. Do 3 years in the military then come back and have an opinion worthy of taking serious. You couldn't make it through bootcamp. Much less have an opinion on military vets worthy of entertaining.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Dune your lucky to be hiding behind your computer screen. I would like you to see you spew that kind of non sense in a public place besides San Fransico and see how long you keep those teeth.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Dune, On behalf of my military brethren and those who have marched and fallen before us.
You're welcome.

That is assuming you are thankful you can say/start such conversations without having a gov't entity or some other malfesiant enter your house and take you and your little puter to some dark cold place never to be heard from again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ohhhh but you dont understand

Obama says we need to fund the education of IILegal aliens and use our Military budget to Fund a better life for Libyan soldiers :laughing:

The Libyans need our help not American men and women serving in our armed force's :laughing:

Also dont forget Obama took out Osama bin laden all by himself Thus he doesn't even need our armed forces :crazy:

What a Jackass* huh :laughing:

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
Dammit, I HATE having a real job! I miss out on all of good stuff!!!:devil:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
The generous pension of an E-6 and E-7 (typical retirement grade for enlisted) is $29,000 and $32,000 a year respectively. yup definately over paid.

currently as an E-5, with my base pay I take home $2.34/hr....$56.16/day, $1,684/month....$20,217/year....yup, deffinately over paid.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
The generous pension of an E-6 and E-7 (typical retirement grade for enlisted) is $29,000 and $32,000 a year respectively. yup definately over paid.

currently as an E-5, with my base pay I take home $2.34/hr....$56.16/day, $1,684/month....$20,217/year....yup, deffinately over paid.
To be fair, you volunteered for this. You were not drafted. If the rest of America's people have to accept these changes, then the voluntary military should as well. In these times, there can be no holy protected class of people.

That said, this should only apply to NEW recruits as I feel that those who signed a contract (as you did, and thank you!) should not have it unilaterally changed.

That said, the same goes for our current union contracts. New guys should not get what the old guys have. Sure it won't make a difference now, but it is better than the Band-Aid approach that the union busters are trying.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I was referring to our "overpaid" remark by dung. The problem with cutting our pay anymore, is that for those with a family it is already hard enough to get by, if they cut it anymore there wll be a lot of people who have to get out simply because they cannot afford to stay in. If i was 1 rank lower i would qualify for food stamps, wic, ect because i would be below the poverty line.

yes, there is waste in the def budget, as i have said many times. but lets cut that waste out before we start military cuttng pay.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I was referring to our "overpaid" remark by dung. The problem with cutting our pay anymore, is that for those with a family it is already hard enough to get by, if they cut it anymore there wll be a lot of people who have to get out simply because they cannot afford to stay in. If i was 1 rank lower i would qualify for food stamps, wic, ect because i would be below the poverty line.

yes, there is waste in the def budget, as i have said many times. but lets cut that waste out before we start military cuttng pay.
Cool. I get ya.

The silly part is: Our soldiers' paycheck is suck a tiny TINY part of the defense budget but you are trated like pawns by all politicians anyway.

It is sad.

When I was in DHS, travelling the country training other special agents in EODD, screening, investigations, interrogations, security, driving, and breaches, I was paid $13.64/hr with a $75 per diem. We got 10% for all work between 1800 and 0600. We got 25% for all Sunday work. We got 50% after 40/week AND after 8/day. I was working [email protected] 12 hours starting at 0200 and 2 @ 16 on weekends at 0200.

Hourly sucked, we had to pay our medical, but the bonus pay kicked ass and our vacation was based on hours worked, not years.

And I only got shot at 3 times, disabled 8 devices, and had one phosphorus IED blow up in my face.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts

C'mon now, post it all up. Either you are missing something or I was getting paid TWICE what you are as an E-5 in the Navy...

I still don't think that the ENLISTED military is overpaid though...

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
since I do not live in the barracks, I get paid a housing allowance, but it doesnt even cover the cost of living off post- and if I lived in a house on post I would not get it anyway.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
since I do not live in the barracks, I get paid a housing allowance, but it doesnt even cover the cost of living off post- and if I lived in a house on post I would not get it anyway.
BAQ is not a big money maker. Been there and done that.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
To be fair, you volunteered for this. You were not drafted. If the rest of America's people have to accept these changes, then the voluntary military should as well. In these times, there can be no holy protected class of people.

That said, this should only apply to NEW recruits as I feel that those who signed a contract (as you did, and thank you!) should not have it unilaterally changed.

That said, the same goes for our current union contracts. New guys should not get what the old guys have. Sure it won't make a difference now, but it is better than the Band-Aid approach that the union busters are trying.
Just some random thoughts on those who say we volunteered for our job..
We were sitting around waxing philosophical like drunk GIs do on occasion this weekend.. we totally agree that our benefits should be cut to civilian standards. let's approach it like any other job-- pay to play..

you betcha.. let's make everything equal to what a civilian gets.... now before the rest of the GI's get upset over my comments.. do the math from your last 12-18 month deployment.. using standard hazardous duty pay that a major gang unit in say a police department gets who regularly comes under fire.. and use this math for base pay.. First 40 hours of your week are standard pay, next 10 are time and a half. remainder are double time with weekend and night differentials... basically you could take your base pay times 4 while deployed for only working 7- 12 hours shifts.. Then top off with REAL hazard duty pay and REAL combat zone hardship pay.. Hell just base pay for an E-7 over 10 with average housing allowance would be making almost $20K a month and that's without any of the haz/hardship/ combat pays. assuming he only work 12 hours each day.. now if we factor in the average 15-18 hour days when on the road or running outside the fence.. CHA Ching!!

Throw in the contractor premiums of getting additonal pay if they aren't in a harden billet with showers within 60 days in country. I can go on and on.. I'm positive giving us the benefits is a huge cost break to the USG...

So civilian world if you want to pay the average GI E-4/7 from $240- $350K a year while he's out of the country and around $120-170K while home station....we will shut the hell up about you making us pay 4-8 grand a year for our insurance.

and OBTW that would drive overtime decisons for home station in garrison workload.. I can only imagine being at home station for my last hurrevac putting in almost 72 hours in a 4 day period-- and what if THE USG didn't budget for that? What does a comapny do if they don't have funds to make payroll.. can they force you into overtime without pay?? don't think so!

I just think about hundreds of millions of dollars of planes getting all water logged because a location didn't bugdget for 4 hurrevacs in a year...

And GIs just think about it.. no forced anthrax shots, PT programs and other random BS.. I mean, really, find another job requirement that has all those things-- Oh and that whole UCMJ thing-- Piss off eh...lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts