Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture of a mini starter (gear reduction style) I got off of ebay compared to the stock style one.

I was miraculously able to remove the huge old starter without removing my 1 7/8" primary XS power headers. The new starter is much lighter and is from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0478028637&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Old one went out one morning when I was trying to get to school. Guess it was bound to happen with the headers so close :laughing:

Seems to work great so far, Sounds different from the stock starter. Supposed to be good for motors with up to 18:1 compression.

Sounds kinda like a gear drive. It's properly shimmed and isn't grinding, so I guess this is just how they're supposed to sound based on research..

Cheers. :cheers:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Is that for the 168 tooth flywheel?

(I'm using a lightweight C4 starter on mine, but I've got a 153 tooth flywheel.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to rebuild starters for years the permanant magnet starters put out a nice bit of torque for the size ..only thing you want to be weary of is dropping it or bumping the side of it with anything like a hammer or prybar if your working under there .

If the magnets get cracked in there, although most are incased in a metal retainer and wont grind up inside the starter or anything ..there polarity gets wacked if they break in half and youll see there torque output drop alot.. so carefull not to drop it if you have it off. :thumbsup:

when time to replace mine i plan on going that route as well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts