Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just had a weird phone call from a guy locally who say hes has just bought a 73 Vette that has been restored from the inside out apart from the frame. Apparently the frame is completely shot and is ready to collapse...but, with the sale came some new frame sections.

What is the easiest way to remove the body to allow him to weld in the new frame sections.

Does the interioror need to be stripped out or can he just remove the body mounts and lift? Any web guides, step by step etc?

TIA.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Man, thats kind of an ass backwards of doing things, But there it is
It can be done with the interior, doors and all that in place. The lifting will have to be done very carefully. Fuel lines, brake lines, rag joint, engine wireing, battery cables, radiator core support, ...all that stuff has to come off. You will need a body dolly to immediately set the body on for support and the nose will need to be supported.

Once thats done, the frame will need to be jigged so that the bad sectiond can be cut out and new stuff welded back in.

That is a WAY oversimplification, its a shitload of work

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, thats kind of an ass backwards of doing things, But there it is
It can be done with the interior, doors and all that in place. The lifting will have to be done very carefully. Fuel lines, brake lines, rag joint, engine wireing, battery cables, radiator core support, ...all that stuff has to come off. You will need a body dolly to immediately set the body on for support and the nose will need to be supported.

Once thats done, the frame will need to be jigged so that the bad sectiond can be cut out and new stuff welded back in.

That is a WAY oversimplification, its a shitload of work
:rolling: Thats what I said! It will certainly be a case of whilst I'm at this point, I might as well...
To be honest, he has a small window in which to work. He has the frame parts on order and the rest of the car is in pretty good nick...
Once the frame is sorted, he should be good to roll.

I told him to make sure he has all new body mounts and bolts etc just in case..lol, no doubt he will have to cut something...

From the outside, The car looks sweet! Engine and trans have been rebuilt, new front and rear bits with poly bushings...just the damn frame was ignored....:crazy:

·
Registered
232 Posts
:rolling: Thats what I said! It will certainly be a case of whilst I'm at this point, I might as well...
To be honest, he has a small window in which to work. He has the frame parts on order and the rest of the car is in pretty good nick...
Once the frame is sorted, he should be good to roll.

I told him to make sure he has all new body mounts and bolts etc just in case..lol, no doubt he will have to cut something...

From the outside, The car looks sweet! Engine and trans have been rebuilt, new front and rear bits with poly bushings...just the damn frame was ignored....:crazy:
For future resale he should probably replace the entire frame with a good solid one. But some people don't like to think in the long term. Wait untill the next potential owner puts it on a lift. :WTF

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
For future resale he should probably replace the entire frame with a good solid one. But some people don't like to think in the long term. Wait untill the next potential owner puts it on a lift. :WTF

I would think getting a new complete frame would be just outta the question over on their side of the pond...shipping alone would exceed car's value....

which is mostly likely why they are doing parts and jig welding...

which is what I would do too, really....damn frames running 2-3 grand for solid used ones....some company tooled up and makes new ones....last I hears 5-6 grand....ouch!!!!:lookinup: :surprised but we can't name much of any other 30 y/old car you can buy new frames for, either.....

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would think getting a new complete frame would be just outta the question over on their side of the pond...shipping alone would exceed car's value....

which is mostly likely why they are doing parts and jig welding...

which is what I would do too, really....damn frames running 2-3 grand for solid used ones....some company tooled up and makes new ones....last I hears 5-6 grand....ouch!!!!:lookinup: :surprised but we can't name much of any other 30 y/old car you can buy new frames for, either.....
:agree: ,,Yea, I agree. there may be some frames localy for him. He ought to look. Spending that kind of money for essentilly a patch job would seem to me to be kind of a shame.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
:agree: ,,Yea, I agree. there may be some frames localy for him. He ought to look. Spending that kind of money for essentilly a patch job would seem to me to be kind of a shame.

Yeh, I hear you, but just like diapers it depends......

:laughing: :laughing: :lookinup: :surprised :WTF :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts