Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 69, I have a small panel under the steering wheel where the headlight door and wiper door vacuum over-ride pull switches are located.

Between these two switches, there appears to be a switch that is missing and broken off. I just noticed on an Ebay picture that it looks like something significant. Can anyone tell me what the missing middle switch is?
thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is it. What does it do? When did you need to use a manual switch to overide your wiper motor?

The only thing I can fathom a guess on is if your vacuum system failed and you pulled the manual switch to open your wiper door. Than have to manually pull the switch to turn your wiper motor on for the wipers to work?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I figured out what the switch actually does. It is used to stop the blade half way up on your window to change your wiper blades?

Can anyone confirm that is correct?

The part you showed from Zip totals out to about 62$ for me before shipping since its not exactly correct for a 69. You need an extra 12$ adapter harness.

Did they stop making the correct one? I thought I read somewhere that said it was similar but had plastic that would break.

Is that Ebay picture frm a current auction? Maybe I can get a deal on an used part.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There are a couple pieces on eBay, just search for "corvette wiper override" and you'll see them.

I see on eBay the knob for $10 and the 70-72 switch for $21. I buy most of my parts through Paragon where those 2 parts, 6946K and 2428, are $51 total w/o shipping.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think I figured out what the switch actually does. It is used to stop the blade half way up on your window to change your wiper blades?

Can anyone confirm that is correct?

The part you showed from Zip totals out to about 62$ for me before shipping since its not exactly correct for a 69. You need an extra 12$ adapter harness.

Did they stop making the correct one? I thought I read somewhere that said it was similar but had plastic that would break.

Is that Ebay picture frm a current auction? Maybe I can get a deal on an used part.

That is indeed the purpose of that switch. Did you check to see if you could just buy the wiper override switch without buying everything else? Check willcoxcorvette.com to see if they have just the switch, or there is always docrebuild.com. The doc seems to have just about everything.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To replace my broken one that has the knob missing, I would have to buy the 70-72 switch, knob and the adapter for the wiring. It's the wiring that irks me the most. twelve dollars for a couple wires is a little much.

Looks like corvette central has the parts for a little cheaper, might not be too bad.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I think I figured out what the switch actually does. It is used to stop the blade half way up on your window to change your wiper blades?...Can anyone confirm that is correct?...
That is correct. It's the wiper over ride and allows for blade changes, etc.

...Did they stop making the correct one?...
Possibly. It's a 40 year old part.

...Maybe I can get a deal on an used part...
That's possible, but the used part may not be in any better shape than what you have.

Do you have an owner's manual?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have owned my '68 for 12 years and I have just found out what that switch does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts