Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember my strange rattle? That would have been the rattling of the washer as the shock mount nut backed out.... I always wondered why the rattling went away...

Basically, there was nothing to keep the rear shock from popping off at the bottom.

I inspected the car when I heard the rattling, but didn't catch this. VERY VERY bad.

Here is what it was SUPPOSED to look like.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
HOLY ****!!!

How the hell did that happen????

I know we torqued those bad boys doown too. I would suggest using locktite on the replacement.

Out of all the shocks I have changed on vettes, yours is the first to do that.

I am so sorry it happened

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Thats unbelievable, half the time you can't get them bastards off with dynamite. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
So.... you've had a screw loose for some time now
Sorry patrick, I hope all is well

T

·
0 Posts
Wow! Isn't that a lock nut too ?

I know it sounds hokey, but I'm real bad about taking regular nuts off things and putting aircraft locknuts in their place. Must be a Vette thing...

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-=Jeff=- said:
HOLY ****!!!

How the hell did that happen????

I know we torqued those bad boys doown too. I would suggest using locktite on the replacement.

Out of all the shocks I have changed on vettes, yours is the first to do that.

I am so sorry it happened
Jeff, this **** happens. I have NO IDEA how it back out at all. There are a lot of threads there and I KNOW we cranked the hell out of them.

This will remain a mystery, but it is now fixed.

Everyone should get their car up on a lift from time to time!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have the locknuts with the nylon threads on mine with a little bit of lock-tite. Maybe the rust is the real reason mine is still there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts