Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are all attracted to the fine workmanship - flares, paint,etc.
But in the following:

I find the radiator most attractive.

First, it appears to be sized to fit forward of the "Ram." (And, therefore - smaller/shorter? How was it "sized - number of cores/tubes engineered solution - or just best guess?)
Second, it also appears to have some sheet metal shroud work on each side. Fabricated by your shop?
Could you share the details on the radiator?
I have been looking to replace the stock with a relocated one. I have been finding getting details and specs to combine a 383 stroker and alternative radiator less than a simple matter.
ANY sizing details you have would be great.

[It will be disappointing to find out thats just a dry fit -- and not the plan. :( ]

Cheers - Jim

Thumbnail follows:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
We are all attracted to the fine workmanship - flares, paint,etc.
But in the following:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/6802/imag0385s.jpg

I find the radiator most attractive.

First, it appears to be sized to fit forward of the "Ram."
Second, it also appears to have some sheet metal shroud work on each side.
Could you share the details on the radiator?
I have been looking to replace the stock with a relocated one. I have been finding getting details and specs to combine a 383 stroker and alternative radiator less than a simple matter.
ANY sizing details you have would be great.

[It will be disappointing to find out thats just a dry fit -- and not the plan. :( ]

Cheers - Jim

Thumbnail follows:

Jim, I hate to break it to you but that isn't a radiator for engine cooling. It's an inter cooler for the forced induction system. Air to air. It is likely mocked up but not mounted in that pic, and the radiator will be added at some point after that image.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Agree with DB. The rad will be behind it. I was going this route, but decided to run meth injection instead to cool the air. Air-to-Air just heat soaks after a few minutes of run time. Meth will cool the charge at your set boost intervals and raise your octane. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I'm afraid Josh was just teasing us ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right -- And I see now the "shrouds" of sheet metal are really the tanks.

But - it still begs a question - Sizing. Has anyone sorted out sizing?
From a top level I suppose it would go; Horsepower - get you to BTUs, and then from BTUs develop a flow rate and heat transfer in terms of BTU per (time), then Delta T (ambient temp vs desired), and on-and-on.

Just wonder how much an Intercooler would do as a Radiator for the engine? Thoughts anyone?

And BTW -- JOSH -- You tease!

Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Inter coolers are air to air heat transfer devices. Meaning, air flows through the cooler in the inside, and the air flowing through the fins is what cools the air IN the cooler. No fluids are involved.

An inter cooler will not work as a radiator.

A radiator is a fluid to air heat transfer device. The basic principal is that fluid...coolant / water, flows through the engine picking up and storing the heat. The fluid is then forced through the inside of the radiator so the air passing through the fins will draw the heat from the radiator, cooling the fluid, for it's return through the engine.

Are you having cooling problems?

·
Registered
552 Posts
IMO one of the great things about a C3 is they came with a radiator that's oversize by musclecar standards, so there should be no need to seek "alternative" solutions in regards to radiators. If it's in good shape the stock cooling system will support the average street 383. Throw in some insurance like a weiand high flow water pump or an aluminum stock replacement radiator, problem is double solved.

Front mount intercoolers are damn sexy. That much is certain.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope - Just in the middle of a "major" and always on the look out for alternative parts. And I was being lazy not doing the maths myself. I'm planning a full relocation (forward laydown and airbox.) A smaller rad would mean a smaller exit through the hood - but it will all sort out. I'll just have to dust off my slide rule!

Oh - and, yep All clear on intercoolers - have one the Solstice GXP Coupe. Thanks!

Cheers - Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like a Precision 700 intercooler, like the one I had that I was gonna stick in my Spirit R/T turbo. I went with a smaller spearco instead. Anything over 400hp in a fwd is rediculous.. Heck you should see the torque steer I have with only 300hp :surprised:crazy:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what is gained by moving the radiator forward and laying it flat?
Here is s a somewhat dated image - but shows the improved flow (through radiator core) and reduced drag.

FWIW - my album "Radiator Relocation has a few more pics showing shrouds, and similar mods. Bottomline - reduced drag, improved flow + better cooling, less front end lift. A smaller Radiator would mean smalle hood exit for same cooling effects.

Cheers - Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here is s a somewhat dated image - but shows the improved flow (through radiator core) and reduced drag.

FWIW - my album "Radiator Relocation has a few more pics showing shrouds, and similar mods. Bottomline - reduced drag, improved flow + better cooling, less front end lift. A smaller Radiator would mean smalle hood exit for same cooling effects.

Cheers - Jim
That would explain the C5R's and alot of other race car's hood design. Going to do something like that with your hood?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kinda - sorta.
The Makos had an interesting exit strategy as well. I posted a few other pics on my "gallery." The Cheta is similar too:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=212
I'll add some more - but it looks like the maximum of 1 attachment has for this post - and you'll have to wait for it to be "approved."

Cheers - Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Inter coolers are air to air heat transfer devices. Meaning, air flows through the cooler in the inside, and the air flowing through the fins is what cools the air IN the cooler. No fluids are involved.

An inter cooler will not work as a radiator.

A radiator is a fluid to air heat transfer device. The basic principal is that fluid...coolant / water, flows through the engine picking up and storing the heat. The fluid is then forced through the inside of the radiator so the air passing through the fins will draw the heat from the radiator, cooling the fluid, for it's return through the engine.

Hate to break it to you DB but you are incorrrect again. Inter Coolers also com a Air to fluid heat transfer. Check your facts before posting please...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hate to break it to you DB but you are incorrrect again. Inter Coolers also com a Air to fluid heat transfer. Check your facts before posting please...

Ivan don't make this a battle.

Of course there are exceptions to EVERYTHING. I'm sure there are inter coolers available as Air to Fluid devices, but why nit pick? Got an example? How much do they run? How rare are they? People have made 4x4 Corvettes yet if someone posted here asking if there were 4x4 Vettes all the answers would be no.

The poster asked about using an inter cooler to cool his engine. Why say anything other than what we all told him?

I Googled Intercooler. I got several hundred results on the first page. Want to know how many were fluid based? NONE !!!

Here's why. If you want a fluid based device, get a radiator. If you want to cool the air charge for forced induction...get an inter cooler.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ivan don't make this a battle.

Of course there are exceptions to EVERYTHING. I'm sure there are inter coolers available as Air to Fluid devices, but why nit pick? Got an example? How much do they run? How rare are they? People have made 4x4 Corvettes yet if someone posted here asking if there were 4x4 Vettes all the answers would be no.

The poster asked about using an inter cooler to cool his engine. Why say anything other than what we all told him?

I Googled Intercooler. I got several hundred results on the first page. Want to know how many were fluid based? NONE !!!

Here's why. If you want a fluid based device, get a radiator. If you want to cool the air charge for forced induction...get an inter cooler.
:spanked::smack:bang
Pretty common.
Ford used them on the Shelby GT500, BMW used them, Volvo used them, GM truck used them, Ford truck used them, big rigs used them.
And there's also a gazillion kits out there using them.
http://www.googleguide.com/

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
:spanked::smack:bang
Pretty common.
Ford used them on the Shelby GT500, BMW used them, Volvo used them, GM truck used them, Ford truck used them, big rigs used them.
And there's also a gazillion kits out there using them.
http://www.googleguide.com/

Perfect. Great information and examples.

Now the big question. Were all those examples used for forced induction applications or for cooling an engine?

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
try googling "air to water intercooler" ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts