Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking down the road of replacing the radio but run into many pros and cons.

The current in dashradio:

Matches the rest of the dash equipment like the dual zone controls.

Sounds okay :lookinup:

Dissipointed that it is the same radio in Chevy Blazers and S-10 pickups as well as other standard chevy cars.

The problem is replacement radios sound better and give your more options like playing MP-3's, but I have not found one that is conservative looking enough to be in this caliber of a car. They are all either silver with flashy light displays of equilizewrs, rocketships and ton of other juvenile looking junk like funky shaped buttons or weird shapes on the display that will look tacky in a car like this.

One complaint about the car is that my C4 had a premimum bose system that had a dash unit and special amps that were made by bose to GM's specifications. This radio does not sound bad but it deffintly is not near the quality as the C4's. My C4 sounded like a concert hall and produced rich crisp sounds that not even my house stereo produced. This system is actually outdone by my mothers premimum system that came with her Saturn L-300.

Do I have to go to a specialty audio shop to buy a head unit worthy of a high priced car, or do I have to settle with a 17 year old teen-agers head unit that would be in his honda civic type R? :( in order to replace the current stereo. :lookinup:

I would think the intereor will look real tacky with a standard one din unit or any GM sized unit that looks ricey.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW; Don't get me wrong I dont fault GM for doing it and I can live with the current system just looking for alternatives.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a FULL DIN Pioneer CD player in my Tahoe. It looks nice, but it is an older version. Check and see if Pioneer makes a Full Din that is not to tacky looking.

You are right, all the new CD Players look way to high tech for me and my vette.

Also Alpine makes a great Full Din Navagation System with CD/DVD player. I know a guy that put it in his Prowler. Very nice looking, but I it will cost you. $$$

basecorvette

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also noticed that the 03 Vette Bose leaves much to be desired. But your going to need more than just a radio upgrade. The main issue that you may have noticed are the missing tweeters in the pillars to give that surround sound. The C5 Vette sounds like all the sound is emanating from the rear. I don't recall my 93 sounding so weighted. Plus like all Bose, they are punchy in the midrange and you need to overcorrect with Bass and Treble (that is why Bose left off any midrange adjustment). Don't get me started on Bose home systems--that can be a real long thread.

My DTS has the upgraded Bose with the DSP for really great sound (I usually leave it on "spacious" for the best overall effect). There is a midrange adjust furnished that is set for a deduct with bass and treble again boosted.

I have no idea why Chevy didn't go with the Cadillac radio in the Vette besides being cheap? Plus it has a cassette player, not that anyone uses them anymore.

And one more bitch, where is the XFM? You would think that Chevy would at least offer the satellite radio in their flagship? The quality and the variety of music is fantastic when your CDs get too boring. Yes, I know you can add one, but who needs an FM modulated input? How about an optical feed? Maybe the next generation will fix all this? Then maybe not? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
After purchasing my 2002 C5 I found myself missing the GPS navigation system that I have in my S-10 Xtreme. Although I was generally satisfied with the Bose audio in my C5, I decided to change it out as well.

Pioneer has recently released their new head unit and motorized touchscreen LCD along with a companion GPS navigation system (NAV-SYS910DVD). Although the HU is just a single DIN, with the LCD extended you really can't tell. I think it looks pretty good either way. This head unit plays CD's, DVD'S and MP3 disks. I also added Pioneers 12 disk CD changer, JL Audio 500/5 amplifiier, and MBQuart speakers.

All the original wiring, connectors, and Bose signal processor was left stock. No cutting or modifying. All new wiring was pulled.

As I mentioned a touchscreen is used for both the navigation and audio menu's. Voice commands can also be used for navigation or audio changes. Tell her where you would like to go, which preset, disk, track, ect, and she will complete the task. The system also comes with a hand held remote as well as a steering wheel remote if you find them more convenient. I also added a "backup camera" that displays on the LCD when you go into reverse.

A Sony laptop is permanently mounted just to the right, above, and forward of the center console. Theres plenty of room for the passenger and it doesn't interfere with any of the controls. On the audio/video side I use it for DVD display and the DVD/MP3 audio is wired back into the main audio system. The hard drive has all of my music library as MP3 files. Great flexibility for play lists.

Pioneer IMO offers the best aftermarket navigation system currently available and does fairly good job on the audio side. For me it's added another level of enjoyment.

LEC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts