Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Un-F-ing-believeable! More proof that they just want the Haves to have it and the Have nots NOT to!

:spanked:

St. Paul, MN – Minnesota Republicans are pushing legislation that would make it a crime for people on public assistance to have more $20 in cash in their pockets any given month. This represents a change from their initial proposal, which banned them from having any money at all.

On March 15, Angel Buechner of the Welfare Rights Committee testified in front of the House Health and Human Services Reform Committee on House File 171. Buechner told committee members, “We would like to address the provision that makes it illegal for MFIP [one of Minnesota’s welfare programs] families to withdraw cash from the cash portion of the MFIP grant - and in fact, appears to make it illegal for MFIP families to have any type of money at all in their pockets. How do you expect people to take care of business like paying bills such as lights, gas, water, trash and phone?”

House File 171 would make it so that families on MFIP - and disabled single adults on General Assistance and Minnesota Supplemental Aid - could not have their cash grants in cash or put into a checking account. Rather, they could only use a state-issued debit card at special terminals in certain businesses that are set up to accept the card.

The bill also calls for unconstitutional residency requirements, not allowing the debit card to be used across state lines and other provisions that the Welfare Rights Committee and others consider unacceptable.

Buechner testified, “We’ll leave you with this. It is not right to punish a whole group because of the supposed actions of a few. You in this room could have a pretty rough time if that was the case. It is not right to stigmatize and dehumanize women living the hard life of trying to raise children while living 60% below the poverty level. It is not right to use racist, bumper-sticker hate to inflict human misery for political gain.”

It may not be right, Angel. But it sure as hell is effective, and that's why politicians without shame continue to use the poor as their own political punching bags.

Personally, if I lived in Minnesota, I'd be out looking for skeletons in the Republican closets. It seems to be the most effective way of purging these immoral creeps.

From Freakout Nation:

GOPers in Minnesota seem to be suffering from memory loss; an unemployed person has to utilize public transit to go out in the world and be proactive in seeking work. Instead, they present the poor with isolation, not letting them use their debit card, sit home and not seek employment. The poor can stay poor because they don’t give a damn.

Let’s mix that in with the embattled Planned Parenthood, ACORN, Health Care Reform, undoing child labor laws and the dubious promise to get work for America as a whole. Where are the jobs, John?

There is an obvious target on the poverty stricken in this country. Let’s not forget, just as many poor people are Republicans. This won’t fare well and they’re signing their own Get Out of the House certificate. As the classes divide even more with their assistance, this is further proof that their campaign against government spending was simply to gain power and now, they’ve gone power mad.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
if you are sucking on the govt teet, you should not have spending cash. you want spending money, GET A ****ING JOB YOU GODDAMN DRAINS ON SOCIETY! hell, i am in favor of ending ALL welfare/public assistance. people need to STOP BEING LAZY ****S and get a job.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Un-F-ing-believeable! More proof that they just want the Haves to have it and the Have nots NOT to!
What do you believe the actual target of this law, is ? Do you believe (like the idiot you quoted) that it is war on the poor and the children ?

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you believe the actual target of this law, is ? Do you believe (like the idiot you quoted) that it is war on the poor and the children ?
They assume that those on welfare are all drug dealers and hookers. More racist generalizations from the right wing.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
There are more white welfare recipients then there are black... ;)

If you would only stop and think beyond the first stage of thought... you would come to the realization that your race baiting is the last ditch effort and an admittance of absolute defeat in both intellect and ideology.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are more white welfare recipients then there are black... ;)

If you would only stop and think beyond the first stage of thought... you would come to the realization that your race baiting is the last ditch effort and an admittance of absolute defeat in both intellect and ideology.
:rolleyes:

I wish I thought I was as smart as you seem to think you are.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I say cut their monthly allowance

That will force them to get a job

Of course now you must have an economy where opportunity exists

Get rid of all the Illegal Aliens working for Tyson Chicken then some Real Americans can get off public assistance and then Maybe obtain their 1st job

Ohhhhh NO The Government would never go for that

They are Pro Illegal Immigration

TRAITORS !

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Not racist, just misguided.

I agree with parts of this bill, but not the $20 part. The cards should only work at grocery stores, I see them abused at convenience stores all the time. But, then again, why should the grocery store deserve preferential treatment? Unless they offered a discounted price for the card users, to help save the taxpayer money. Keeping the money in the home state is a good idea as well...

People come up with some crazy ideas..

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
:rolleyes:

I wish I thought I was as smart as you seem to think you are.
Brother... I wish you were half as smart as I think I am. You would, at least, not be so easily crushed under the weight of my over confidence.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think the twenty dollar part is a little much, but I still think everyone on federal assistance should be subject to random drug tests,JMO.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

I agree with parts of this bill, but not the $20 part. The cards should only work at grocery stores, I see them abused at convenience stores all the time. But, then again, why should the grocery store deserve preferential treatment? Unless they offered a discounted price for the card users, to help save the taxpayer money. Keeping the money in the home state is a good idea as well...

Brother... I 'd take it even deeper then that. We as tax payers, are not getting our moneys worth by issuing them a card that they can buy anything, anywhere. That card should only be good at designated welfare supermarkets. Milk, bread and toiletries... the essentials.Maybe some health-care products. We could broker much better deals for our taxpayer dollars.

The downside to this... all the liquor stores that would close down in these poor neighborhoods.

The upside to this... all the liquor stores that would close down in these poor neighborhoods.

We make it too comfortable for them. There is no insensitive to work.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts

Hey, their was another thread about when the taxpayer money is given to the government employee as a paycheck it is now his/her money and any portion of it can go back to the political party that got him the money? whats the diffence here? If some one skips a meals for a pack of cigs I don't see the problem :rolling::rolling:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Hey, their was another thread about when the taxpayer money is given to the government employee as a paycheck it is now his/her money and any portion of it can go back to the political party that got him the money? whats the diffence here? If some one skips a meals for a pack of cigs I don't see the problem :rolling::rolling:
It's a cute numbers game, until your the guy breaking the law by having $20 in your pocket.. more GOP bullshit, that does nothing to help the situation, just a political stunt. And one more reason why they can't be part of the solution, they are too much of the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts

:spanked:

St. Paul, MN – Minnesota Republicans are pushing legislation that would make it a crime for people on public assistance to have more $20 in cash in their pockets any given month. This represents a change from their initial proposal, which banned them from having any money at all.

On March 15, Angel Buechner of the Welfare Rights Committee testified in front of the House Health and Human Services Reform Committee on House File 171. Buechner told committee members, “We would like to address the provision that makes it illegal for MFIP [one of Minnesota’s welfare programs] families to withdraw cash from the cash portion of the MFIP grant - and in fact, appears to make it illegal for MFIP families to have any type of money at all in their pockets. How do you expect people to take care of business like paying bills such as lights, gas, water, trash and phone?”

House File 171 would make it so that families on MFIP - and disabled single adults on General Assistance and Minnesota Supplemental Aid - could not have their cash grants in cash or put into a checking account. Rather, they could only use a state-issued debit card at special terminals in certain businesses that are set up to accept the card.

The bill also calls for unconstitutional residency requirements, not allowing the debit card to be used across state lines and other provisions that the Welfare Rights Committee and others consider unacceptable.

Buechner testified, “We’ll leave you with this. It is not right to punish a whole group because of the supposed actions of a few. You in this room could have a pretty rough time if that was the case. It is not right to stigmatize and dehumanize women living the hard life of trying to raise children while living 60% below the poverty level. It is not right to use racist, bumper-sticker hate to inflict human misery for political gain.”

It may not be right, Angel. But it sure as hell is effective, and that's why politicians without shame continue to use the poor as their own political punching bags.

Personally, if I lived in Minnesota, I'd be out looking for skeletons in the Republican closets. It seems to be the most effective way of purging these immoral creeps.

From Freakout Nation:

GOPers in Minnesota seem to be suffering from memory loss; an unemployed person has to utilize public transit to go out in the world and be proactive in seeking work. Instead, they present the poor with isolation, not letting them use their debit card, sit home and not seek employment. The poor can stay poor because they don’t give a damn.

Let’s mix that in with the embattled Planned Parenthood, ACORN, Health Care Reform, undoing child labor laws and the dubious promise to get work for America as a whole. Where are the jobs, John?

There is an obvious target on the poverty stricken in this country. Let’s not forget, just as many poor people are Republicans. This won’t fare well and they’re signing their own Get Out of the House certificate. As the classes divide even more with their assistance, this is further proof that their campaign against government spending was simply to gain power and now, they’ve gone power mad.
Tsavo - You are full of crap again.

Less than a minute of Google, and I have the entire MN House File 171 to read for myself.

Perhaps if you'd done a bit of research yourself prior to this posting, you'd have seen that your 'source' is wrong.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill.php?bill=H0171.1.html&session=ls87

The bill ACTUALLY prevents a cardholder from WITHDRAWING more than $20 from the EBT card - it says NOTHING about it being illegal for someone to have more than $20 on their person.

Additionally, the bill provides for a 90 day waiting period before eligibility begins - raised from the current 30 days.

Maybe you really ARE only half as smart as VFP!

Steven

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Less than a minute of Google, and I have the entire MN House File 171 to read for myself.

Perhaps if you'd done a bit of research yourself prior to this posting, you'd have seen that your 'source' is wrong.

The bill ACTUALLY prevents a cardholder from WITHDRAWING more than $20 from the EBT card - it says NOTHING about it being illegal for someone to have more than $20 on their person.

Additionally, the bill provides for a 90 day waiting period before eligibility begins - raised from the current 30 days.

Steven
And if you have $40, that means you broke the law by taking out more than $20, right? That will be the assumption. Pay thousands to a lawyer to prove otherwise. A lawyer that will likely be paid with TAX DOLLARS. In the end, a sero sum change.

Again, what they are claiming they are doing and what they really are doing are 2 totally different things. Every Pub in the country stated that they would get jobs bills to the top of the list. So far, not a single jobs bill, but a ton of ideoligical bills.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts

Steven
Wow, that's got to sting more than a little :laughing:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it is bullshit to be changing titles. Childish, but not unexpected from you. VFP has some crazy titles and blatant innaccuracies and hatred. nothing of his changed. Seems to depend your perceived ideological position.

And until you have listenned to both sides of the arguement in debate, as it has been on TV and news around here, you will see it is not just a $20 withdraw limit. Like many laws, as it is written is not how it ends up being enforced or tried in the courts.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I think it is bullshit to be changing titles. Childish, but not unexpected from you.

And until you have listenned to both sides of the arguement in debate, as it has been on TV and news around here, you will see it is not just a $20 withdraw limit. Like many laws, as it is written is not how it ends up being enforced or tried in the courts.
I didn't change the title.

For your second point, you're just wrong. The law limits a monthly withdrawal of $20 from the ETB card - it is completely SILENT on how much cash someone can have on their person.

For you to conclude that a limitation on a government issued card translates to a limitation of how much cash a person can carry around is ludicrous.

That conclusion is without merit, certainly without evidence, and unsupported in fact and history.

In the face of sourced evidence that CLEARLY demonstrates that your source is wrong, you can't argue on logic, reason, or facts - you're back to bluster, stereotypes, and ad hominem attacks.

You REALLY think that Republicans in Minnesota want to arrest people that are carrying MORE than $20? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I can see it now ... tourists from out of state arrested because they have TOO MUCH MONEY TO SPEND in MN... rich members of the Republican Greed Machine arrested due to TOO MUCH CASH ...

What a stupid source you found ... and how sad that you lend it credence ...

Steven

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Furthermore, I emailed my rep about this. She just responded and said the wording was revised for publication, but that the original proposal circulated was intending to make more than $20 unlawful to CARRY. It was changed to 'withdraw' for publication. She takes her Pub counterpart at his word that this was his intention.

On its face, I like this change much more. It stops IL people from coming here, soaking up our welfare, and leaving with it. Sounds fair to me.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't change the title.
Steven
Was not accusing you. I hold you in quite high regard. Serious.

The bill was recently clarified.

But my point stands: Titles should not be changed unless the OP requests. Otherwise, that's just censorship, singling out, bullying, and nutswinging. I thought we were above that, here. Are we?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts